Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You know how it works. Two matchups per day, so this will last a week. You'll be able to vote for 2 teams, PLEASE DON'T BE A KENTUCKY LOVING D***K AND VOTE FOR THE SAME MATCHUP TWICE

1st Matchup: @mwc22 vs. @bcisco

MWC22
G: Shabazz Napier
G: Jerome Dyson
F: Rudy Gay
F: Stix Robinson
F/C: Josh Boone

BCISCO:
G: Doron Sheffer
G: Chris Smith
F: Caron Butler
F/C: Rod Sellers
C: Jake Voskuhl

2nd Matchup: @Minicoop69 vs. @tzznandrew

MINICOOP:
G: Ricky Moore
G: Kevin Ollie
G: Ray Allen
F: Cliff Robinson
C: Andre Drummond

TZZNANDREW:
G: Ryan Boatright
G: Earl Kelley
F: Nadav Henefeld
F: Donyell Marshall
C: Hasheem Thabeet

Reaction Score
A pitch for my team.

(stats are UConn career season highs)

PG Ryan Boatright 6’0”
17.4 ppg, 4.4 apg, 4.1 rpg, 1.6 spg, 0.2 bpg, 42.3% FG, 41.1% 3PT​
SG Earl Kelley 6’ 0”
19.0 ppg, 6.4 apg, 3.2 rpg, 1.4 spg, 0.1 bpg, 47.5% FG (no 3-point line)​
SF Nadav Henefeld 6’ 7”
11.6 ppg, 2.8 apg, 5.6 rpg, 3.7 spg, 0.6 bpg, 48.2% FG, 37.7% 3PT​
PF Donyell Marshall 6’ 9”
25.1 ppg, 1.6 apg, 8.9 rpg, 1.4 spg, 2.9 bpg, 51.1% FG, 37% 3PT​
C Hasheem Thabeet 7’ 3”
13.6 ppg, 0.5 apg, 10.8 rpg, 0.6 spg, 4.5 bpg, 64% FG​

Offense

I have Donyell Marshall, who had quite probably the single best offensive season in UConn history. He was an unstoppable force from everywhere on the court. But he is not alone. On the interior, Thabeet was more than an adept scorer—he scored that many points per game despite being on a team with numerous threats (Adrien, Price, Dyson, Kemba, Sticks). He could score garbage baskets from dump downs or offensive rebounds, or in isolated post up moves.

On the wing, I have Henefeld, who can shoot from range, and who was an adept passer for a forward.

On the perimeter, I have the same thing as pretty much all our title teams: two point guards. Boatright can pass, shoot, and drive, and his range his senior year was quite strong. Kelley could score with some of the best of our guards, and did it in a tough Big East. He shot a high percentage, so I’d wager he’d shoot well from 3, but we’ll never know. Both my guys can get to the rim, can pass, and can shoot.

My three players predominantly on the perimeter are smart and skilled passers, and all can score.

Defense

My team is the best defensive team in either division. And I’d hazard by far.

Thabeet was national defensive player of the year in 2009 and was in the Top 3 in the NCAA in blocks all three years he played here. He is perhaps the best defensive center we’ve ever had, and if he is number 2 (and I’d concede that), it is only to Okafor, a player more athletic, but 5 inches shorter. Thabeet could move, too. He may have been a stiff in the NBA, where players are faster and stronger, but in college he was a force rarely seen on the defensive end. Additionally, he could rebound with the best of them. At almost 11 rpg his junior year, he controlled the paint. There is no center in UConn history—including Emeka—he will not slow down.

Donyell Marshall, too, was an absurdly athletic blocking machine. Before Emeka showed up, he led UConn in blocks in a season and career. His athleticism and length also made him a superior rebounder. Thabeet and Marshall essentially shut down the paint against any of my foes.

Henefeld is an insane thief, and his defense and basketball IQ are going to lead to a number of run-outs. He averaged almost 4 steals per game! Granted, it was a faster paced game, but I have the horses to make any game I’m in a fast one if I want, and Henefeld will cause chaos against any other SF with his length and intelligence.

Ryan Boatright may be the best defensive point guard we’ve ever had. What he did on the run to the 2014 title is akin to what Ricky Moore did in 1999—except Ryan had to score for that team to succeed and Ricky didn’t. Boat can guard bigger guards and smaller guards, and despite his size no one is going to out-athletic him.

Kelley may be my weak link, but he was quick and athletic, and so I don’t think he’ll have too much difficulty guarding most team’s second backcourt option.

Summary

I have the best defensive team in the whole tournament, and defense wins championships.

My offense, though, is no slouch. Two strong ball-handling guards who can slash and shoot, a lanky SF with deep range and intelligence, a center who can post up, oh, and the player with the best offensive season in UConn history. The team has titles, Final Fours, and E8s to its name, too.

On this matchup:

I think my defensive frontcourt is significantly better than minicoop's. Drummond can be a rim protector, but in college he was often confused and out of position. Cliffy and Ray weren't known for the defense. But the offenses are roughly the same. Although I'd give my team a slight advantage on a player by player level (Allen > Henefeld, Marshall > Robinson, Thabeet > [college] Drummond), he has two legit scoring studs. So it's close. All I can say is that I'm going to make entry passes tough (Henefeld), shots in the paint scarce (Yell and Thabeet), and do quite well on the glass (all three). And I don't think he'll be able to make it as difficult for my guys to score.

The backcourt is tough defensively. He has two very good defensive players, and KO and Ricky are admirable ball handlers--KO is a great distributor too. My guys can play almost as good on the ball defense (Ricky = Boat; KO > Kelley), and they can score much, much easier. KO was a 26% 3pt shooter, and never even averaged 10ppg. Ricky topped out at 35%, but also never got to 10ppg. They're great defensive players, but he has no backcourt firepower to match mine. Boat and Kelley can score in the paint and from the perimeter. His guys will make it tough, but my guys will keep them honest in a way his guys can't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The second matchup was the closest one yet, in my opinion. Two of the better teams we've seen in either field. tzznandrew has a defensive juggarnaut, and I love the team Minicoop put together too with excellent defense and rebounding around Ray and Uncle Cliffy.

That matchup is dead even right now. What do we do in the event of a tie?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
These matchups are real tough, but taking what I know of everyone's college career, I like coop's team makeup but I probably would have to agree that Andrew's team would win heads up... I almost feel the same about the first matchup, I like MWC's team better but I have a tough time saying they'd definitely beat bisco...

I'm also putting too much mental energy into figuring it out, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky