Huskies of Honor | The Boneyard

Huskies of Honor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looks like Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon and Caron Butler will be inducted to the Huskies of Honor but it's on hold now. Kyle, @uconnmbbsid, tweeted this a fews mins ago.

Reaction Score
nice although im not sure why Rudy Gay would be invited to the Huskies of Honor, maybe for his performance in the NBA but certainly not Uconn, like his interview said , he left with feeling he could have done more

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
nice although im not sure why Rudy Gay would be invited to the Huskies of Honor, maybe for his performance in the NBA but certainly not Uconn, like his interview said , he left with feeling he could have done more
For his potential to donate money for a new basketball practice facility.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It looks like Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon and Caron Butler will be inducted to the Huskies of Honor but it's on hold now. Kyle, @uconnmbbsid, tweeted this a fews mins ago.

On hold? WTF? Who the hell is charge up there?

Reaction Score
On hold? WTF? Who the hell is charge up there?
Maybe they are reconsidering why they would include Rudy Gay with Caron and Ben. One of these things is not like the other things.

Reaction Score
Do you guys already forget that he was a first team all American? Everyone expected that team to win it all but with that many NBA players on one team Rudy never got to be the superstar we all knew he could be. I have no problem with him being inducted. Congrats to all 3 husky greats!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
its about time... i always thought and felt ben should be up there and I'm glad rudy and caron are on there too

Reaction Score
Looks like they're gonna wait to see the schedule and pick a date when all 3 of them can make it. Too bad training camp opens up the day after they had plans on doing it. Congrats to all 3 of them including Rudy!! Ben Gordon being honored is LONG overdue, better late than never though.

Reaction Score

Glad for all 3 although I laugh when people say Rudy didn't have a good career...........let's see left as a soph. and was a lottery pick? Rudy's problem wasn't all Rudy it was the team he played with as history proved........prototypical big tweener as an SF, not a great handle when he left but got a lot better as many big guys do. Yet he was an excellent all around player while a Husky for 2 years and if he stayed 3 there would have been no doubt!!

Reaction Score
There are definitely a handful of players that deserve it over Rudy but whatever, good for him.

Reaction Score
Glad for all 3 although I laugh when people say Rudy didn't have a good career...........let's see left as a soph. and was a lottery pick? Rudy's problem wasn't all Rudy it was the team he played with as history proved........prototypical big tweener as an SF, not a great handle when he left but got a lot better as many big guys do. Yet he was an excellent all around player while a Husky for 2 years and if he stayed 3 there would have been no doubt!!

who's saying he didn't have a "good career"? The ring of honor is a little more selective then players with good careers. It is also irrelevant his NBA draft position or what he would have done in his third year. It is for what you accomplished on the court, which for him was very little in terms of consideration for the ring.

Reaction Score
Do you guys already forget that he was a first team all American? Everyone expected that team to win it all but with that many NBA players on one team Rudy never got to be the superstar we all knew he could be. I have no problem with him being inducted. Congrats to all 3 husky greats!

2nd team.

Reaction Score
Maybe they are reconsidering why they would include Rudy Gay with Caron and Ben. One of these things is not like the other things.

Um no, they're not going to publicly insult Rudy Gay.

There are plenty of programs that would kill to have Rudy Gay as an alumnus.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The degree to which people bash Rudy Gay's UConn career has always miffed me.

Reaction Score
The degree to which people bash Rudy Gay's UConn career has always miffed me.

Welcome to the internet message board era.......

People bash with little to no perspective. Congrats to all 3.

Reaction Score
Both Caron and Rudy automatically qualify as All-Americans. Ben meets many qualifications, despite not being an All-American. There is also a five-year waiting period, only waived for Nat'l Player of the Year honors (i.e. Emeka). Kemba was a once in a lifetime opportunity that no one could argue with either. The biggest issue UConn has is finding dates at Gampel that guys can make it back. But, it is definitely a priority to get these done this year. And, no, potential donation has nothing at all to do with it. These are and will be the best of the best at UConn only.

Reaction Score
I agree, I think people have Rudy's NBA career clouded in their minds. Rudy was great at Uconn at making the highlight dunk reel, he was a good player but a Husky of Honor ?? I dont think so. Unless we are going to put Rashad, Dyson, Marcus Williams etc in that category. From what I remember of Rudy, he settled way too much on jump shots and 3 point shooting and didnt take it to the hole enough (maybe a product of not great handles). Like I said hes had a great NBA career so far but I dont know if that warrants a Husky Of Honor title. I dont know, I'd have to look at the numbers again. He also didnt take many big shots, never took over games. He was certainly was drafted high for his potential which he has lived up to.

Reaction Score
Rudy was a first team All-American by the NABC (second-team by the Associated Press) and was one of four finalists for the National Player of the Year as a sophomore. How does that not warrant a spot in a Ring of Honor? He definitely would have fallen short of having his jersey retired (if we retired them), but this is just honoring people who accomplished great things and it doesn't exactly put us out to honor him. I don't know where the magical cutoff line is, but being a first-team All-American should be above that line. Like I said, he would be far more conspicious by his absence than his presence.

zls44

Reaction Score
I agree, I think people have Rudy's NBA career clouded in their minds. Rudy was great at Uconn at making the highlight dunk reel, he was a good player but a Husky of Honor ?? I dont think so. Unless we are going to put Rashad, Dyson, Marcus Williams etc in that category. From what I remember of Rudy, he settled way too much on jump shots and 3 point shooting and didnt take it to the hole enough (maybe a product of not great handles).

Completely inaccurate.

Guy was a POY finalist and All-American on a team that won the school's last Big East Regular Season title & made the Elite 8. But because of who they lost to, people take shots. In the Mason game, he played 42 minutes, scored 20 points and had 6 rebounds. In the Kentucky game, he scored 19 points. In the Washington game, he drew/baited Brandon Roy into picking up fouls 3 and 4, the only reason they won the game.

He won as many National Championships as Ray Allen and Caron Butler. He went to class. He didn't get arrested. He was good to the media.

But he still has haters. From his supposed fanbase. It's completely insane and exactly what's wrong with UConn fans. Bitching & a false sense of entitlement.

Reaction Score
Completely inaccurate.

Guy was a POY finalist and All-American on a team that won the school's last Big East Regular Season title & made the Elite 8. But because of who they lost to, people take shots.

It's completely insane and exactly what's wrong with UConn fans. Bitching & a false sense of entitlement. Maybe he should have averaged 30-10.

He finished his Uconn career with a 13.2 ppg and 6 rbgs a game. He was a solid player but like what has been said before, there are other Uconn players that have had similar careers. When I think of huskies of honor, I think of guys that have carried teams on their back. Took their teams to the next level. Maybe those Uconn teams were too talented for him to get more touches. I admit, I didnt realize his sophmore numbers were as good as they were. He averages 15.2 ppg his sophmore season. I dont know, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Not sure where in my post I deserve to be attacked by thinking I have a sense of entitlement or that he should have average 30 and 10.

zls44

Reaction Score
He finished his Uconn career with a 13.2 ppg and 6 rbgs a game. He was a solid player but like what has been said before, there are other Uconn players that have had similar careers. When I think of huskies of honor, I think of guys that have carried teams on their back. Took their teams to the next level. Maybe those Uconn teams were too talented for him to get more touches. I admit, I didnt realize his sophmore numbers were as good as they were. He averages 15.2 ppg his sophmore season. I dont know, I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

Just because he didn't hit his ceiling at UConn does not mean he was not one of the best players in America when he was here. The arguments are not attached.

Reaction Score
He finished his Uconn career with a 13.2 ppg and 6 rbgs a game. He was a solid player but like what has been said before, there are other Uconn players that have had similar careers. When I think of huskies of honor, I think of guys that have carried teams on their back. Took their teams to the next level. Maybe those Uconn teams were too talented for him to get more touches. I admit, I didnt realize his sophmore numbers were as good as they were. He averages 15.2 ppg his sophmore season. I dont know, I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

you're all that's wrong with UCONN fans.

I'm the greatest UCONN fan of all time, because Rudy's an NBA star so I idolize him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom