Huskies Measuring Up Under Diaco's Training Program | The Boneyard

Huskies Measuring Up Under Diaco's Training Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
>>Sophomore offensive lineman Richard Levy lost 10 pounds from last year, when he couldn't get on the field. But now, the 6-6, 305-pounder snaps to the line with a purpose when the first group of linemen is called. On Saturday, that was Levy at left tackle, redshirt freshman Kyle Schafenacker next to him at guard, senior Alex Mateas at center, freshman walk-on Jacob Basilica of Montville at right guard and junior Dalton Gifford at right tackle.

It's an outstanding development for Levy, and it has to be encouraging to all since the offensive line is thin with experience. Levy is naturally strong. "I'm in much better shape than I was in last year, no question," he said. "It's going to help me go in the direction I want to go. Day in and day out, I like to grind and just push it to the limit until I'm gassed. I can say I did something today, but everybody is working hard. You can see the difference."<<

>>Senior cornerback Byron Jones (6-1, 196) added seven pounds of muscle, and his body fat is down to 4.8 percent. DeLorenzo is roughly around the same weight he was at 210 pounds, but his body fat is at 12 percent, the lowest it's ever been. And there are more stories like these.<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

This is nothing short of amazing. I have to believe it's true, because Dez is reporting it. I'm not saying that in jest. He was an obvious supporter of the previous staff, so the fact that he is coming out and saying that they looked "sleeker, faster, and stronger, with more energy" is pretty much all that I needed to hear to understand what our core problem was over the last three years.

What good is wallpaper if the opponent is stronger and faster???

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Every time I read one of these stories on conditioning, nutrition and effort in the weight room I want to go to an assisted living facility and hit old people.

This will be my only post regurgitating what happened in the past but it infuriates me that the prior staff failed to monitor players conditioning and take appropriate action. Nothing worse than failing the players by not making sure they are prepared to be successful on the field.

When I read about seniors who had the full three years under the old regime talk about learning about putting in effort and paying attention to detail on diet it's clear indication the previous staff was disengaged from player development.

So happy UConn made the choice it did with the new staff.

Looking towards the future from here on out. One last old person to hit today to break the chains from the past.

Reaction Score
One of the saddest moments I've had as a UConn fan was watchin FCS Towson dominate the line of scrimmage against us. Just the year before, we dominated both lines in the season opener against UMass. It seemed that P wasn't putting in the work in the off season to make sure the kids were pushing themselves. So glad that is over with.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
When I read about seniors who had the full three years under the old regime talk about learning about putting in effort and paying attention to detail on diet it's clear indication the previous staff was disengaged from player development.

When Foxx said this was the best weightlifting program he's ever seen at UConn, that speaks volumes about the prior staffs and how much they were invested in the players. Vague recollection of someone mentioning that PP and others tried to treat the players as pros, but college students don't have the same priorities as a pro player re diet and fitness when they are trying to also be students.

Reaction Score
When you read the stories about GA, KO and JC getting in their player's heads and knowing them, using that to motivate and teach -- BD is there. So far he has done everything he has said he would do from day 1. Recruit, raise the energy level, raise the fan interest. Heck we have two bb teams in the elite 8 and I am posting about football in March.
Now if I could only get on that diet and training plan I can be in shape to root for three hours at some games this fall.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
Every time I read one of these stories on conditioning, nutrition and effort in the weight room I want to go to an assisted living facility and hit old people.

This will be my only post regurgitating what happened in the past but it infuriates me that the prior staff failed to monitor players conditioning and take appropriate action. Nothing worse than failing the players by not making sure they are prepared to be successful on the field.

Looking towards the future from here on out. One last old person to hit today to break the chains from the past.

Sorry to say that this can not be repeated often enough lest it ever happen again.

Reaction Score

Hey WTF, I resemble that first remark. I for one know that there is a lot more to conditioning than blocking schemes that don't work. When they said there were no sleds on the practice field you knew there were issues especially with what showed on the field. Please limit the remarks to old clueless football coaches whose initials are GDL and PP. Just trying to save some Baby boomers in assisted living centers. Besides you can do real serious time for beating up senior citizens.

Reaction Score
Normally, I would say most of this is media hype more than substance. But, there appears to be some pretty solid evidence that Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum did not give a duckk about training and conditioning.

And when a 5th year senior and arguably our best OG puts up 225 LBs on the bench 13 times, we have a big problem. Put that into context, relative to size, I'm stronger,....... and I'm old and not that strong.

Reaction Score
I love that with KO and BD, we have two detail oriented, maniacally intense POSITIVE motivators leading our squads.

That's what works with 18-22 year olds in recruiting and in player development.

great foundation for the athletic Dept.

Reaction Score
How do you ignore this stuff in the 21t century. Apparently other schools were the true Ferrari's and we were driving Ford Fairlanes. Hopefully this has already trickled down to our incoming class and they can get on the program early. This has the potential to be a huge transformation for the program.

Reaction Score

Why not hit some lolly-gagging young whippersnapper instead?

Reaction Score
4.8% body fat? that shouldn't be possible.

One of the saddest moments I've had as a UConn fan was watchin FCS Towson dominate the line of scrimmage against us. Just the year before, we dominated both lines in the season opener against UMass. It seemed that P wasn't putting in the work in the off season to make sure the kids were pushing themselves. So glad that is over with.

Mine was seeing no Irish athletic advantage over the visiting Huskies, who shouldn't have even given our highly rated players a big problem.

Ditto for the Weis regime. All our 2010 media reports were on how out of shape the football team was. I sure hope Diaco can implement an S&C program that creates the same kind of improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBF

Top Bottom