Huskies in the NBA: Best Careers ? | The Boneyard

Huskies in the NBA: Best Careers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ray has obviously had the best NBA career of any former UConn player. Who rounds out your top 5 and why?

Some possible candidates include Cliffy, Rip, Caron, Emeka, Donyell and Rudy.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
My top 5 goes Ray, Rip, Caron, Cliff, Rudy.

Reaction Score
Huskybass said:
Ray has obviously had the best NBA career of any former UConn player. Who rounds out your top 5 and why? Some possible candidates include Cliffy, Rip, Caron, Emeka, Donyell and Rudy.

Rip and Caron (all stars at their peak), and Cliff (longevity and consistency) are probably givens. I'd give an edge to Donyell now for the fifth spot - mostly due to his couple of good seasons with the Jazz, but Rudy will pass him very soon now that he's washed the Toronto debacle from his system - and then Drummond will eventually pass both of them. Kemba is still TBD.

Reaction Score
1) Ray - The perfect SG for this current age. Ray had a first ballot Hall of Fame career that would have been 15% better now that teams have moved away from the iso-heavy BS of the '00s. I also often wonder what would have happened with Ray had the Timberwolves not stupidly traded him for Marbury.

2) Rip - top scorer & All-Star for a title-winning team that was a perennial contender for about 7-8 years. If he'd ever become a consistent - not even "great" - 3 point shooter he'd have been a hall of famer.

3) Cliff - Early iteration of the stretch 4, superior defender who played for winning teams. Great longevity. He'd be more appreciated today than he was in the '90s (though to be fair, he landed with the perfect team for his skillset in Portland)

4) Caron - Killed by injuries, but for that 4-year stretch with Washington he was - by both the numbers and the eye test - the second-best SF in the East.

5) Rudy - Consistently good but not great, until (arguably) this year. Was a key part of some decent Memphis teams, but it's notable that both the Grizz and Raptors improved after trading him. A better passer than most realize, which makes him dangerous in the pick-and-roll with Cousins. I really hope the Kings keep that pair together and get a better coach than Corbin.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
When I was in high school I bought a new (at the time) video game called Lakers vs the Celtics and the NBA playoffs which featured the top 8 teams in the 1989-90 season. The Trailblazers were one of the teams you could play as and on their roster was a rookie Clifford Robinson. That incarnation of him missed a lot more dunks than the real-life Cliff.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember A guy named Scott Burrell?

Ray , Cliff, Scott, Rip, Caron.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember A guy named Scott Burrell?
Yes, and he's not close to the top 5. Only one truly good year, and then a career destroyed by injuries. A top 5 talent for sure, but I don't think he even really cracks the top 10 in terms of NBA career.

6) Emeka
7) Gordon
8) Kemba
9) AD
10) Donyell
11) Charlie V
12) Toby Kimball
13) Burrell
14) KO

Travis, Adrien, Voskuhl, and Smitty are the next group in some order.

Here's the UConn page at Basketball-Reference.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Yes, and he's not close to the top 5. Only one truly good year, and then a career destroyed by injuries. A top 5 talent for sure, but I don't think he even really cracks the top 10 in terms of NBA career.

6) Emeka
7) Gordon
8) Kemba
9) AD
10) Donyell
11) Charlie V
12) Toby Kimball
13) Burrell
14) KO

Travis, Adrien, Voskuhl, and Smitty are the next group in some order.

Here's the UConn page at Basketball-Reference.

Good points . I was just looking at his one championship with the Jordan Bulls
And just the fact that he was on the Jordan Bulls as being a good " career, but yes , his numbers are low. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Burrell

Reaction Score
Travis Knight is on the but end of NBA jokes for being a tall, goofy looking white guy but he had a decent start to his career. He was an all rookie 2nd teamer and that was one stacked draft class, he was rookie teammates with Kobe, and Fish. Its not his fault Pitino gave him that huge contract, after that he got exposed but still won a ring on the 2000 Lakers. Jake had a career that lasted a decade, he hit a gw in the playoffs against the Spurs.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I wish so much I could say Marcus Williams. He had the talent but the lack of discipline killed his career.

Reaction Score
Travis Knight is on the but end of NBA jokes for being a tall, goofy looking white guy but he had a decent start to his career. He was an all rookie 2nd teamer and that was one stacked draft class, he was rookie teammates with Kobe, and Fish. Its not his fault Pitino gave him that huge contract, after that he got exposed but still won a ring on the 2000 Lakers. Jake had a career that lasted a decade, he hit a gw in the playoffs against the Spurs.

Doesn't he live on a beach in Nicaragua running a cabana or something now? I would say he wins at life, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I like the Ray, Rip, Caron, Rudy, Cliff list right now but I think we will eventually look at a Ray, AD, Rip, Kemba, Rudy top 5.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Doesn't he live on a beach in Nicaragua running a cabana or something now? I would say he wins at life, that's for sure.

I ran into Travis a 4-5 years ago over Thanksgiving break at Pig's Eye Pub. It was well past midnight and he was dancing with an 18 year old (she couldn't have been older than 21). I laughed, yelled at him "TRAVIS!", and gave him daps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom