Huskies Have Made Drastic Improvement Offensively, Now Need to Finish Drives | The Boneyard

Huskies Have Made Drastic Improvement Offensively, Now Need to Finish Drives

Reaction Score
Drastic improvements? In the first quarter the QB threw a int because the receiver didn't know which way to run. In the second quarter he fumbled at the end zone. The offensive line looks as pitiful as it did last year and the premiere running back(Newsome) coming into the season now looks to be moving towards third string faster than first string. Three touchdowns with zero PAT's or field goals. Not sure how that's a drastic improvement.

Drastic improvements would have been putting up 40 vs FCS Holy Cross and leading 14-7 half way through the VA game, not coughing it up twice in the red zone.

Reaction Score
Drastic improvements? In the first quarter the QB threw a int because the receiver didn't know which way to run. In the second quarter he fumbled at the end zone. The offensive line looks as pitiful as it did last year and the premiere running back(Newsome) coming into the season now looks to be moving towards third string faster than first string. Three touchdowns with zero PAT's or field goals. Not sure how that's a drastic improvement.

I guess you didn't watch the games this year and last year. Last year there was no offense at all. This year they have shown the ability to move the ball. Turnovers stopped two of their drives in the last game. The lack of PAT was the result of being aggressive and trying to win. They could have kicked the extra point and the score would have looked better on paper or go for two and try to win.

Last year they seemed happy to have a close low scoring game even if they lost. In fact I believe Diaco would rather lose than risk a turnover trying to win.

I believe there is a drastic improvement in the offense. That doesn't mean I think the offense is good. What I am looking for this year is improvement with young players getting the experience they need to be good in the future. If they improve as they go and we can continue to recruit athletes then I do think we can be good if not by next year then in following year. On the other hand I would not be surprised if they put it together to pull off an upset before this year is done.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
To all those that think the QB is the problem.

"The unit, however, displayed drastic progress, consistently putting drives together the entire afternoon, a credit to Shirreffs, who is now 23rd nationally in passing efficiency (165.1)."​

Reaction Score

Drastic improvements would have been putting up 40 vs FCS Holy Cross and leading 14-7 half way through the VA game, not coughing it up twice in the red zone.
[/QUOTE

What kindergarten do you go to?

Reaction Score

Thank you Mrs P for your interest in UConn football.

Reaction Score

I know that we are blaming the INT on Hergy. But in his post game comments, Edsall said that if BS lofted the pass it would not have been an INT. So it was more a matter of them not being on the same page as Hergy being wrong.

Reaction Score
Last year the Huskies averaged 15 points per game. So far this year they have score 27 and 18. Drastic may be overstating the case.

But the offense has shown more imagination in two games than it did all last season. More importantly, they pass the eye test. They move with purpose and pace. They get lined up properly. There are fewer false start penalties. There are fewer dropped balls. It is definitely improvement.

Reaction Score
Edsall said that if BS lofted the pass it would not have been an INT.
Correct. On the sidelines after the INT Edsall was showing BS the arc lofted motion he was looking for. We left too many points on the field--obviously--but we should be much better on Sunday. Look for a big win.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Last year the Huskies averaged 15 points 320 total yards per game. So far this year they have score 27 and 18 gained 438 and 434. Drastic may be over understating the case.

But the offense has shown more imagination in two games than it did all last season. More importantly, they pass the eye test. They move with purpose and pace. They get lined up properly. There are fewer false start penalties. There are fewer dropped balls. It is definitely improvement.

Headline/post ("...Now Need to Finish Drives.")

Points come with finished drives do they not?

Last year, UConn gained over 300 total yards of offense exactly once in the second half of the season (Tulane, 308). Matt's headline is 100% accurate.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's hard to understand how anyone could have a problem with how much the offense has improved. We were dead last in offense last year. Literally 128 out of 128.

The fact they we are gaining over 400 yards per game even without last year's best two OLinemen and last year's best receiver is a friggin miracle. And it will continue to get better, I'm sure.

I'm sorry, but the only ones complaining about the headline are idiots...

Reaction Score
Headline/post ("...Now Need to Finish Drives.")

Points come with finished drives do they not?

Last year, UConn gained over 300 total yards of offense exactly once in the second half of the season (Tulane, 308). Matt's headline is 100% accurate.
My point is that "drastic" is overstating it. It is not drastic improvement. It is incremental at this point.

I love the direction and believe in the new OC. But the stats were also inflated by being down 24-0 and playing in an extended garbage time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I know that we are blaming the INT on Hergy. But in his post game comments, Edsall said that if BS lofted the pass it would not have been an INT. So it was more a matter of them not being on the same page as Hergy being wrong.
One of my few complaints with BS over the years has been his complete lack of touch/loft especially on deep balls. I think the ball I saw him throw with any air under it was the flea flicker on Saturday

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Our first 3 games will have been agaisnt horrendous defenses. I'm glad we are showing more on O but, still waiting on a running game before declaring the problem rectified. It's still a nailbiter that any particular play will work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom