"Huskies Earn High Marks Off The Court" | The Boneyard

"Huskies Earn High Marks Off The Court"

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I honestly believe (should I say speculate) that this is one of the main reasons why Geno has always deflected suggestions that he coach men's basketball or specifically the UConn men's team? He once said that the only men's head coaching jobs he would consider were Duke and North Carolina. I think that may be because those two schools really seem to take the academic side of student athletics more seriously than any other MBB program with aspirations to a National Championship, certainly including UConn's -- and, yes, he said that before UNC's NCAA issues became public. (I am leaving aside Ivy League programs that do not aspire to an NC. Maybe Notre Dame and Stanford should have been on his "would consider" list also.)

I think he really enjoys coaching bright young players. He may even think that a certain level of academic skill is useful in picking up what he envisions on the basketball court. And there is some evidence that he is right -- look how quickly Kia and Maya picked up his system, possibly in part because they are used to being good students.

On the other hand, there are some excellent students who have been slow learners on the court: Mel Thomas, Gabby Williams, and even Molly Bent come to mind. And there are some non-all-star students who did very well with Geno on the court: Diana and Tina, for example. It's interesting to note who the "not-quite-3.0" students on this year's roster are (by process of elimination): Pheesa, Crystal, and Megan. None of them seem to have difficulty (well, maybe Megan had some difficulty) grasping what Geno wants to see on the court.

Reaction Score
He once said that the only men's head coaching jobs he would consider were Duke and North Carolina. I think that may be because those two schools really seem to take the academic side of student athletics more seriously than any other MBB program with aspirations to a National Championship,
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 3.02.50 PM.png

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Holy moly, Kia pulled down a 3.733 or better this Fall as did Molly Bent. 9 of 12 Huskies honored for academic achievement.

Huskies earn high marks off the court

This is a good story and speaks so well of these student-athletes, this year as it has in years past.

Simply keeping your head above water while taking a full load of classes is a pretty fair achievement if you're out for a varsity sport at the D1 level. To participate in a sport and to excel in school is really something.

To excel in school under UCONN's program and the particular demands it places on these young people - that's amazing. The focus and discipline involved to do that are really, really, really significant, as Geno might say.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course, you overlooked my disclaimer about UNC later in the same sentence: " and, yes, he said that before UNC's NCAA issues became public".
sorry. I guess I was laughing too hard at the irony to notice. thanks.

Reaction Score
One time a UNC professor told a student/athlete that the writing on her paper looked a lot like that of her assistant coach and her reply was:"Of course it does,i was using her pen."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Molly is a 4.0 GPA student or very close to that.

I think Christyn is a very good student and Olivia is a 4.0 GPA kid, so next year's recruits should be solid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom