Huskies Back on the Field, As Practice #1 is in the Books - Diaco Quotes | The Boneyard

Huskies Back on the Field, As Practice #1 is in the Books - Diaco Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“I think he handled it great,” Diaco stressed. “I don’t have to look at the tape to know that. He wasn’t in the corner crying like a baby, he didn’t try to quit and leave the field. Anything above that, is awesome. He was just in high school history class, walking with his tray in the cafeteria getting tater-tot surprise and an apple sauce cup. So he just went to a college football practice and it didn’t crack him. Special guy. Now he may have skipped fifteen balls off the turf, I don’t know, but he did a great job today.”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Music, no music. Bob, these little mind games don't work. Set a standard and help the players meet that standard. One technique at a time. That's the only way out. Energy comes from successes, create some. Legit ones, no participation trophies.

Reaction Score
“I think he handled it great,” Diaco stressed. “I don’t have to look at the tape to know that. He wasn’t in the corner crying like a baby, he didn’t try to quit and leave the field. Anything above that, is awesome. He was just in high school history class, walking with his tray in the cafeteria getting tater-tot surprise and an apple sauce cup. So he just went to a college football practice and it didn’t crack him. Special guy. Now he may have skipped fifteen balls off the turf, I don’t know, but he did a great job today.”

While last year I started to tune out the coach speak as the year went on, I've consumed the kool-aid again. This statement excites me about the future of the program while at the same time cracking me up.

Reaction Score
Music, no music. Bob, these little mind games don't work. Set a standard and help the players meet that standard. One technique at a time. That's the only way out. Energy comes from successes, create some. Legit ones, no participation trophies.

Silver's take:

>UConn coach Bob Diaco changed things up for the first spring practice on Saturday. There was no music. Music is a staple of UConn’s practices to set the tone. There was no music, and a good reason behind it. Music alters mood. Diaco didn’t want any outside influence on Saturday morning. He put a test on his team in the first minutes.

Who can generate their own energy? That’s the test right now for the Huskies. Not much can be taken by the performance on the first day. Jobs can’t be won this early, but they can be lost.

Diaco looked for preparation, attentiveness in meeting rooms, energy and minor aspects that can give him some insight on how the team will perform.

After one day? He liked it.

“No music. Wanted to see who can bring the energy right now,” Diaco said. “Let’s see and evaluate this team, and who’s ready, and who takes ownership for the energy?”<<

@desmondconner: Diaco said leadership showed itself today, J. Joseph, K. Adeyemi, G. Stewart, etc. "it's necessary" #UConnFootball

Reaction Score
"Who takes ownership for the energy?"

Oof.

Forget energy. Forget music. Forget funny quotes that make zero sense. I am looking for improvement on the field. I want ticked off players who are embarrassed by last season.

Energy. Oh mylanta.

Reaction Score
"Who takes ownership for the energy?"

Oof.

Forget energy. Forget music. Forget funny quotes that make zero sense. I am looking for improvement on the field. I want ticked off players who are embarrassed by last season.

Energy. Oh mylanta.

Get your point but how many times did people complain on here that the team appeared to have no energy on the sidelines? It's not the end all or be all but I want a team that has energy and generates energy (and wins ;)).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
Get your point but how many times did people complain on here that the team appeared to have no energy on the sidelines? It's not the end all or be all but I want a team that has energy and generates energy (and wins ;)).

I guess the Coach speak has just worn thin with me. I was fully on board last offseason, but the more I hear him talk, I just get annoyed.

And yes, it is a minor complaint.

My hope lies in the fact that it looks like Coach Balis has transformed alot of the players in the weight room. Especially the OL.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
"Tater Tot Surprise" sounds like a new name for one of my fantasy baseball teams.

Reaction Score
We can sum up Practice 1.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members