Hurley's keeping lesser competition in these guys | The Boneyard

Hurley's keeping lesser competition in these guys

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He wants everyone to get time, and there a some rotations that tend to give up runs. It's frustrating to watch sometimes. But he has to develop a roster as he sees fit.

I think he's going to be just fine, there will be growing pains, it goes with the territory in college basketball. I think we've may have forgotten that, probably because we haven't experienced this in recent years.

I also expect his rotation to shorten. I could be wrong on this, maybe he's a rotation of ten guy, but I think he shortens the bench as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
We’re not going to make it through conference play with 6-7 guys we can trust. I don’t necessarily agree with the hockey line changes, but that’s when guys like Gaffney can feel like the best player on the court and not play as timid. When he’s out there with 4 starters, he seems too nervous to really try to insert himself in the game and make big plays

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's teams like this, along with the next couple where he has the luxury of experimenting with lineups.

Has to do it now while he still can and continue developing young guys with PT.
True. I agree it has to be done. Just a little concerning our bench couldn’t get a bucket vs literally one of the worst teams in college basketball.
Another thing that really turned the tide was AG getting punched in the face and it not being a flagrant.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seems like that is a pattern has emerged.
These lineups were great vs teams like Buffalo and Miami but couldn’t get the ball up court vs a bad NEC team. Concerning times.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thing that’s predictable about freshman is their unpredictability. The hockey line switch seems to be evolving into a momentum killer. Maybe it’s time to switch to a more traditional substitution pattern.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
True. I agree it has to be done. Just a little concerning our bench couldn’t get a bucket vs literally one of the worst teams in college basketball.
Another thing that really turned the tide was AG getting punched in the face and it not being a flagrant.
After it was reviewed in slow motion on a monitor. I don’t think they even called a common foul, did they?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The second half was basically St Pete's 4 freshmen vs UConn's second squad
The outcome was a St Petes second half victory - UConn should have blown this team out by at least 20
The young Huskies have potential but have shown that they aren't ready for primetime - I expected it to some extent but makes me shake my head of all those on this blog begging for these guys to take more time from the starters
DH's bench management is confusing and his game management is not as strong as I had expected so far
Patience is a virtue and don't worry all you AG and CV bashers - next year is coming
The biggest disappointment for me last night was Josh - he was slow on D and not looking for the ball at all on offense he should have had a triple double vs that team instead he looked like a freshman. He better wake up because the league opened vs Cinci is coming up in 13 days and Cinci's big guys will tear him to pieces if he plays like he did last night.

Reaction Score
He wants everyone to get time, and there a some rotations that tend to give up runs. It's frustrating to watch sometimes. But he has to develop a roster as he sees fit.

I think he's going to be just fine, there will be growing pains, it goes with the territory in college basketball. I think we've may have forgotten that, probably because we haven't experienced this in recent years.

I also expect his rotation to shorten. I could be wrong on this, maybe he's a rotation of ten guy, but I think he shortens the bench as the season progresses.
I dont think the bench shortens all that much simply due to need. Gaffney will get fewer minutes whenever Al is free of foul trouble and playing well. Whaley will get low minutes whenever the rest of the frontcourt doesn't have foul trouble.

I feel like this is the deepest team we've had in years though, where we legitimately have 10 guys who have something to offer and when playing well can truly help us go on a run, it's quite nice

Reaction Score
Can’t go non-foul to common foul. Can go non-foul to flagrant or common foul to flagrant. I’ve seen much less get guys tossed these days.
I agree, while I don't think that was a flagrant, I said to a friend it was the kind of play that if our guy did it to an opposing team they'd give us the flagrant after going to the monitor. I mean the guy clearly used his hand to bat away Gilbert by the face and then elbow him in the face so that he could recover the ball, it wasn't a twitch reaction to losing the ball that happened to catch Gilbert in the face

Reaction Score

Growing pains my butt, He needs to grow up and stop playing favorites. He need to learn from Calhoun.

Reaction Score
The second half was basically St Pete's 4 freshmen vs UConn's second squad
The outcome was a St Petes second half victory - UConn should have blown this team out by at least 20
The young Huskies have potential but have shown that they aren't ready for primetime - I expected it to some extent but makes me shake my head of all those on this blog begging for these guys to take more time from the starters
DH's bench management is confusing and his game management is not as strong as I had expected so far
Patience is a virtue and don't worry all you AG and CV bashers - next year is coming
The biggest disappointment for me last night was Josh - he was slow on D and not looking for the ball at all on offense he should have had a triple double vs that team instead he looked like a freshman. He better wake up because the league opened vs Cinci is coming up in 13 days and Cinci's big guys will tear him to pieces if he plays like he did last night.

Cincy did a number on a good Tennessee team last night and they have two 7 footers that are as hefty as Josh so he'd better wake up. Maybe he's just too much of a "gentle giant". One of those 7 footers is a grad transfer and the other came from NKU with the coach and was granted immediate eligibility. If Cumberland comes around they might take the league after not looking so good to start the season.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Growing pains my butt, He needs to grow up and stop playing favorites. He need to learn from Calhoun.

Nobody loves Calhoun more than me, but he's not walking through that door. Hurley has to be Hurley, I don't believe you can succeed trying to be someone else.

And if he sits everyone who's played poorly, I think we're down to Akok Akok :)

Reaction Score
Cincy did a number on a good Tennessee team last night and they have two 7 footers that are as hefty as Josh so he'd better wake up. Maybe he's just too much of a "gentle giant". One of those 7 footers is a grad transfer and the other came from NKU with the coach and was granted immediate eligibility. If Cumberland comes around they might take the league after not looking so good to start the season.
I don't think they'll take the league. It was a decent win at home but Tennessee isn't last year's Tennessee. Lots of offensive deficiencies as well as losing to Memphis at home without Wiseman or Quinones playing for the Tigers.
I think this year will be Wichita State. They are very impressive and I always respect their program for what they've done.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I agree, while I don't think that was a flagrant, I said to a friend it was the kind of play that if our guy did it to an opposing team they'd give us the flagrant after going to the monitor. I mean the guy clearly used his hand to bat away Gilbert by the face and then elbow him in the face so that he could recover the ball, it wasn't a twitch reaction to losing the ball that happened to catch Gilbert in the face

gary Harris puncher Shabazz in the face to get a ball as msg and they did nothing after going to the monitor.

Despite the w that absurdity has always bothered me about that game. It was a clearly dirty play.but if you flipped it, bazz would’ve gotten tossed.

it’s nice to be MSU dukeu unc etc

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Seems to me that he is experimenting with lineups verse lesser competition in order to see who earns minutes for conference play. I recall Calhoun doing similar before trimming the rotation to 8 primary guys.

Reaction Score
The number of hardos on this board has jumped 100% in the last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom