Hurley's individual player processing | The Boneyard

Hurley's individual player processing

Reaction Score
Lost in all of this is how Hurley is pushing the right buttons. AG, Wilson and Whaley have been through Hurley's 'process' and seemed to have improved. And right now Akok is currently being 'processed', let's watch for the results.

Next 'process' projects hopefully will be Carlton and then Adams. By the way, Bouk got processed at the beginning of the season.

Not sure what to call it other than process, because its not punishment or demotion per se. We may have been losing games but its obvious we were close and just needed some player tweaking only a coach can do.

Anyway, if he stays effective in his messaging we will certainly be awesome in the coming years. I believe he's starting to get through to his players. Very fascinating watching our UConn ship turning around with Captain Hurley.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping he can have a Calhoun like impact on this program and be around for decades to come. I love his energy on the sideline, the way he speaks to the media and in post game press conferences. He can be blunt and honest. He has an innate ability to connect with his student athletes. He seems to know when to press the right buttons to get these kids to respond. He's the clear leader of this program. You can tell his players trust in him and believe in the process. In Hurley I trust!

Reaction Score
i would really like to see Bouk get more shots. I think he is the best scorer on this team and we cant afford him to take nights/halves off. Like someone else noted, the biggest issue is his fouling and staying on the court.

Reaction Score
Agree with everyone else, but Carlton has limited "processing" left, imo. He is what he is. He will consistently be effective/ineffective depending on the type of big/team we're playing. Good footwork, etc but his inability to move the ball and lack of athleticism just makes him a total liability at times. I mean he's averaging 5 and 5 in conference play and can't stay on the floor longer than 15-20 minutes. His #'s were actually just as good as a freshmen. The idea that there was a "Is he an NBA player" thread this year is laughable.

Reaction Score
Agree with everyone else, but Carlton has limited "processing" left, imo. He is what he is. He will consistently be effective/ineffective depending on the type of big/team we're playing. Good footwork, etc but his inability to move the ball and lack of athleticism just makes him a total liability at times. I mean he's averaging 5 and 5 in conference play and can't stay on the floor longer than 15-20 minutes. His #'s were actually just as good as a freshmen. The idea that there was a "Is he an NBA player" thread this year is laughable.
He broke out last year and a similar jump this year would have put him through the roof . I can’t say for sure if gaining the weight hurt him in that quest.
Last nights game was a good example
He actually got us off to a good start.
He even blocked a sure two . But got two quick fouls. Hurley was forced to put him back in late in the first half as Whaley also had two , (their 5 was a beast ) and he immediately picked up his third.
He only played 12 minutes but had 6 points and 4 rebounds.
Hurley’s got to figure a way to keep our bigs out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
He broke out last year and a similar jump this year would have put him through the roof . I can’t say for sure if gaining the weight hurt him in that quest.
Last nights game was a good example
He actually got us off to a good start.
He even blocked a sure two . But got two quick fouls. Hurley was forced to put him back in late in the first half as Whaley also had two , (their 5 was a beast ) and he immediately picked up his third.
He only played 12 minutes but had 6 points and 4 rebounds.
Hurley’s got to figure a way to keep our bigs out of foul trouble.

He obviously improved last year, but his ceiling, in my opinion, is very low. With his limited athleticism he is just going to struggle to finish and stay on the floor and he's absolutely a liability when teams get him to move around. Against good talent, the game is just a little too fast for him most of the time.

Reaction Score
The Carlton leaving early for the NBA is the funniest/most outlandish bball thread ever on this board.

Reaction Score
He broke out last year and a similar jump this year would have put him through the roof .
I can't possibly come up with a player anywhere who has a harder ceiling than Carlton. The idea of him ever being an NBA player let alone an early entrant is pure insanity.

Reaction Score
i would really like to see Bouk get more shots. I think he is the best scorer on this team and we cant afford him to take nights/halves off. Like someone else noted, the biggest issue is his fouling and staying on the court.

He also roams the baseline and the corner too much which takes him out of many possessions. I understand he is a good cutter from that spot but I like him getting the ball up top more often.

Reaction Score
I can't possibly come up with a player anywhere who has a harder ceiling than Carlton. The idea of him ever being an NBA player let alone an early entrant is pure insanity.

Go for three in a row. I don't think the point has been made.

I mean, let's be honest, was there more than one person who raised the idea of Carlton being an NBA player? And was the response anything other than immediate ridicule? This seems like a gigantic strawman.

Reaction Score
14 cup - one for each player on the roster,
img59o.jpg

Reaction Score
Lost in all of this is how Hurley is pushing the right buttons. AG, Wilson and Whaley have been through Hurley's 'process' and seemed to have improved. And right now Akok is currently being 'processed', let's watch for the results.

Next 'process' projects hopefully will be Carlton and then Adams. By the way, Bouk got processed at the beginning of the season.

Not sure what to call it other than process, because its not punishment or demotion per se. We may have been losing games but its obvious we were close and just needed some player tweaking only a coach can do.

Anyway, if he stays effective in his messaging we will certainly be awesome in the coming years. I believe he's starting to get through to his players. Very fascinating watching our UConn ship turning around with Captain Hurley.

Im not a Hurley hater he needs a couple recruiting classes still and some turnover, but... I rolled my eyes so hard at this post that I almost disconnected my optical nerves. We are 12-10 (2-6). Pushing the right buttons?

I mean, give me a break. What is with this dear leader worship all of a sudden? It's one ok game! Against Tulsa!

AG has been worse this year than last. Is that the process?
Carlton has massively regressed this year. Is that the process?
CV is literally the same player as he always has been. Is that the process?
Sid Wilson was so bad early in the year that he DNP'd some game. Is that the process?

Look I still believe in Hurley and think once he recruits his guys we will be good. We are already improving on Defense significantly.

But some of this stuff is too much.

Reaction Score
The jury is out on Coach H. Let's see the record at the end of the year ànd if we make the post season. Remember he is the highest paid Ct State Employee. This is not just any state this is CONNECTICUT.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Im not a Hurley hater he needs a couple recruiting classes still and some turnover, but... I rolled my eyes so hard at this post that I almost disconnected my optical nerves. We are 12-10 (2-6). Pushing the right buttons?

I mean, give me a break. What is with this dear leader worship all of a sudden? It's one ok game! Against Tulsa!

Sid Wilson was so bad early in the year that he DNP'd some game. Is that the process?

Look I still believe in Hurley and think once he recruits his guys we will be good. We are already improving on Defense significantly.

I'm glad nobody liked this.

Reaction Score
The jury is out on Coach H. Let's see the record at the end of the year ànd if we make the post season. Remember he is the highest paid Ct State Employee. This is not just any state this is CONNECTICUT.
Yeah I don’t really care about him being the highest paid state employee. A lot of states (if not most) highest paid employees are either football or basketball coaches. That’s the reality of the money generated by these state universities. It’s reflected in their salaries. Calhoun was the highest paid as well Ollie. Hurley’s like the top 30ish paid coach in the country, that’s what the market dictated. It’s like when a guy hits free agency, the market dictates the price. It’s not that he’s necessarily the best player, a lot is due to timing. That’s what UConn had to pay to get him. He was supposedly going to make a little more at Pitt. If he turns UConn into a top 30 program as reflected by his current salary to his peers, that’s definitely worth it.

Reaction Score

To me the biggest difference is that Carlton rarely receives the ball deep in the paint. When he made his jump last year it was largely based on getting the ball down low. He now receives the ball much further from the basket, often on the wings. He is also double-teamed this year when he wasn't last year. He has made some improvement passing out of the double team, just a little.

Last year, there was a concerted effort to get Carlton the ball down low in the first few possessions of the game. We haven't seen that as much lately. Josh has improved his offensive rebounding this year and is near the top of the league in that category. But this looks to be a two steps forward one step back process taking place.

It will be interesting if he can make the next steps forward but I would not write him off just yet. Big guys tend to develop slower than other positions.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
josh carlton? imma big fan. and when he gets to play in a game where the refs act normal and let the guys play? big fun. Hilton's junior year? 4 points, 3 boards per game. career here? 5 and 4. later? nba. 2006-2014, 3/3 per. smart dude.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He also roams the baseline and the corner too much which takes him out of many possessions. I understand he is a good cutter from that spot but I like him getting the ball up top more often.
I disagree on this. I think great things overall happen when JB is on the baseline. He can make athletic floaters, dunks and attract attention to kick the ball to a cutting big. Our great wings historically have always run the baseline well. I want to see more of this from Bouknight.

Reaction Score
To me the biggest difference is that Carlton rarely receives the ball deep in the paint. When he made his jump last year it was largely based on getting the ball down low. He now receives the ball much further from the basket, often on the wings. He is also double-teamed this year when he wasn't last year. He has made some improvement passing out of the double team, just a little.

Last year, there was a concerted effort to get Carlton the ball down low in the first few possessions of the game. We haven't seen that as much lately. Josh has improved his offensive rebounding this year and is near the top of the league in that category. But this looks to be a two steps forward one step back process taking place.

It will be interesting if he can make the next steps forward but I would not write him off just yet. Big guys tend to develop slower than other positions.
One thing Josh could do and Whaley also is to pass it back out immediately when they are too far away or doubled. If Josh did this he’d have few turn overs and a better shooting %.

Reaction Score

There is nothing you can say to make me not care what your point is more than thinking a coach's salary is relevant to anything.

Reaction Score

It's just way too early in the Hurley era to start making definitive statements. I didn't expect much this year, maybe to just get a good look at his recruits and project where we're going from there.
We're leaving this league anyway, and the future starts next year back in the BE. We have good recruits coming in and hopefully by then the full transition from Ollie to Hurley will be done. No, we're not gonna win the NBE 1st year in, but I choose to be realistic and patient about our future prospects. Let's keep seeing steady progress, maybe a NIT bid next season, instead of all this overblown hand-wringing from our fans. (Not directed at you bmayuc)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom