hurleys defensive flaws | The Boneyard

hurleys defensive flaws

Reaction Score
Hurley's defensive stubbornness will be the achilles heel that holds back his great recruiting/excitement he generates for program

1)the aggressive 5 man (adama) double team off the high pick and roll is easy to scout for and beat...it creates a scramble and if the opposing 5 slips the screen, we've created a 4 on 3 for other team consistently, with our 5 sitting at top of key....whaley was great at it, and adama is better and it will vex a crappy team, BUT its easy to defeat with scouting (big east teams)- note it happens less with clingan in the game, as his comparative lack of mobility keeps him in paint and we dont turn every high pick and roll against good team into opposing 4 on 3...

2) NO help defense this yr...they clearly have been coached this yr as if theyve never done a shell drill- if you are 2 passes away defensively, you are foot in paint and ready to step in for charge...so if opposing man beats our overplay man 1 on 1, we would have a player to step in...that doesnt happen...just talking about strength in our chest in our d, or whatever goofy saying ive heard 2x now, wont fix this

3)we continually get creamed by a simple iso clear out on a 1 on 1 matchup with no/slow adjustments...think karaban vs providence pf, andre jackson getting stuck at power forward against xavier, and posted on....not to mention the ncaa game against maryland, or any game with villanova...his lack of in game adjustment (double team, change matchup, zone) allows us to get shredded...clingan sat on bench whole 2nd half vs xavier who pf was not overly mobile...going away from our weak 4 out one in "offense" to put both bigs in will cause other teams to have to adjust..

4)hes recently thrown out a john beilein ish 1-3-1 with andre at top late in game when losing, hiding smallest guy at bottom...it might work if clingan extends arms, but SOMETIMES a zone or BASIC HELP MAN not overextending(like Izzo coaches) works more effectively than the aggressive d hurley coaches against top teams/coaches... but we will continue to double the high pick and rolls, with adama out at the 3 pt circle, play no help defense on blow bys, and hurley will make no adjustements.... dont think we go deep in tourney til talent overcomes these shortcomings in future yrs....hope im wrong

Reaction Score
In our losses, the defense hasn't been good enough. If 3 teams in the Big East can beat us, imagine how many teams across the country can defeat us, which makes me very nervous about NCAA tournament if nothing changes. How can UConn do better on defense?

Reaction Score
Poor defense, or not stopping other team from scoring, has been the root of our losses. Agree on scrapping the high hedge- it just isn't worth it. Are we getting killed on the high screen if the high hedge isn't used? If so, there must be some other way to defend the shooter using it.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Zone defense specifically a 3-2 zone with DC and AS on the floor to start the game. You have the ability to rotate out of it and keep the other team off balance. We are getting beat off the dribble all the time. None of our guards other than Diarra and AJ can stay between their man and the basket when there is penetration. The answer is throwing multiple defense at the other team. Right now we are getting killed on high screen action. We are predictable AS high hedge and when DC is on the floor we try to go over or under the screen. Both have been ineffective. Let me say it again zone, zone , zone. Are guards are big but not quick we need to address these deficiencies.

Reaction Score
Marquette guards got into us the whole game and we didn't respond.

Reaction Score
I would like for us to switch on our ball screen defense more.

We have the size across the board that it would minimize mismatches. The obvious mismatch would be our 5 switching onto their ball handlers.

In those situations you teach Sanogo and Donovan to drop and play the drive.

There just aren’t enough 40%+ shooters in the college game off the dribble that can beat you. Give them that shot all day and protect the drive.

Reaction Score
DH needs to get the defensive intensity of the team at Marquette level for the rest of the season or all is lost.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Just learned that today. I hope all have reset their expectations of this team.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
At this point I want Hurley to go 2 bigs for a game or two just so we can see what happens and all stop arguing whether or not it'll work.
Yes. Sanogo is not a 5. Put him at the four and let Clingan clean up everyone’s mess.

Reaction Score
I just can’t believe a guy making $3M/yr is making such obvious errors and incapable of recognizing the need for basic adjustments.

Reaction Score
lol....i wrote this post friday morning, but just re-read the points i listed...it is a little too spot on for todays "game"- our offense is terrible, but hurley is a supposed defensive coach...if only we could take to heart his mid-game coaching pearls... "gotta play heavier in your chest"...guess that will stop the overplaying and no team help defense...

Reaction Score
2-3 Zone. Clingan in the middle. Roughly 10 minutes per half. Not against good 3 point shooting teams though, but this would have been the game to do it
Yep. It just doesn't make any sense to me how he had them playing D.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
4 years of in game coaching deficiencies on both the offensive and defensive ends. No improvements in game. Everything has has improved

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom