Hurley's Checklist: Check, Check & Check | The Boneyard

Hurley's Checklist: Check, Check & Check

Reaction Score
Part of Hurley's task at UConn was to assemble a world-class coaching staff and top-flight recruiting team.
Check!

Part of Hurley's task was to then go out and recruit 4 and 5 star recruits.
Check!

Part of Hurley's task was to resurrect his inherited team from the ranks of the mid-majors, first by decisively defeating the mid-majors on his schedule...

5-0 Check!

...then by playing competitively against Top 50 teams.

Syracuse: Check!
Arizona: Check!

Part of Hurley's task was to fill the XL with re-energized fans and put it on national TV as an electric venue to play in.
Check!

Check, check and check. Unless you're expecting a deep run in the NCAA's in March, there is nothing dismaying about yesterday's game. It is in no way a step back on Hurley's check list. The agenda marches relentlessly on!.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It really is amazing how night and day last year vs. this year's team is. I thought this program was really on the brink of irrelevance after the last SMU game in March.
We are so so lucky that this program is trending upwards the way it is in the same calendar year that I thought we were done.

Reaction Score
The realistic goals for a successful season this year were 20 wins and in the discussion for an at-large NCAA bid. Both appear very achievable.

But the product on the court passes the eye test with flying colors based on what we could expect for this season.

Reaction Score
My friends from other big time colleges were texting me surprised how big UConns fan base was at that game yesterday. He’s awakening the sleeping giant. To go from last year to this is amazing. Hurley normally starts off slow when he takes over a program. This is ahead of schedule. UConn can def make it to the tournament if they win 1 or 2 of the next big games and take care of conference play. It’s a good time to be a husky fan. Also having these recruiters on the staff is amazing.

Reaction Score
He's doing a great job. We were all disappointed in the loss of a very winnable game as was he. Wish we were more confident when we take shots. One thing that puzzled me was Dan saying post game that they need to block off some time so they can get used to shooting at the XL. All I could think was OMG how are we ever going to shoot on the road.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Part of Hurley's task at UConn was to assemble a world-class coaching staff and top-flight recruiting team.
Check!

Part of Hurley's task was to then go out and recruit 4 and 5 star recruits.
Check!

Part of Hurley's task was to resurrect his inherited team from the ranks of the mid-majors, first by decisively defeating the mid-majors on his schedule...

5-0 Check!

...then by playing competitively against Top 50 teams.

Syracuse: Check!
Arizona: Check!

Part of Hurley's task was to fill the XL with re-energized fans and put it on national TV as an electric venue to play in.
Check!

Check, check and check. Unless you're expecting a deep run in the NCAA's in March, there is nothing dismaying about yesterday's game. It is in no way a step back on Hurley's check list. The agenda marches relentlessly on!.

I count "Check!" six times in your post, but your Subject line has it only 3 times.
Getting the job done with appropriate humility.
I like it.

Reaction Score
Yesterday was disappointing but I think it's still a work in progress. The goal is to make it into the tourney while peaking during tourney time.

Reaction Score
He's doing a great job. We were all disappointed in the loss of a very winnable game as was he. Wish we were more confident when we take shots. One thing that puzzled me was Dan saying post game that they need to block off some time so they can get used to shooting at the XL. All I could think was OMG how are we ever going to shoot on the road.

Yet another disadvantage of having two "home" arenas.

Reaction Score
If this type of start was shown to you before the season started we would all be thrilled.

Yes, but you can adjust expectations as the season goes on. I think it's ok to be upset at losing a winnable game without losing sight of where we are vs. last year and pre-season expectations.

Reaction Score
Dan is ahead of schedule at UConn because he inherited legitimate D1 players, and lots of them. He just had to coach them. It is very clear that while we are missing a couple of bullies and an assassin with a textbook jumper on the roster, this team is pretty good. It isn’t elite UConn level good, but it’s good.

I still think we can develop into a team that could gel and find our rhythm and make it to Sweet 16. We have a lot of pieces and they haven’t gotten really blended yet. Alterique, Sid and Diarra still need to find their niches. The critical thing I worry about is getting the quality wins we need to get in. Yesterday, was a huge opportunity lost. Still, I’m so happy with the direction of the program and the sell out at XL, I can’t seem to get stressed about things right now. It’s just so nice to be optimistic again and to know that most of our fans are also optimistic.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hurley has surpassed even our wildest expectations in such a short period of time.

Heck, he is even going to out-recruit Geno Auriemma and the UConn Women in 2019 . :D
Well since they only have one recruit for next year, maybe that's not so hard.

Reaction Score
We have some talent on this team and it’s understandable for fans to get greedy about the NCAA tournament. IMO it’s a stretch but Hurley knows what he’s doing for the future. Jalen will be a big loss next year.

Reaction Score
We have some talent on this team and it’s understandable for fans to get greedy about the NCAA tournament. IMO it’s a stretch but Hurley knows what he’s doing for the future. Jalen will be a big loss next year.
Bouknight might be very close to Jalen when he matures. He’s a stud

Reaction Score
If we get to the point where someone like "Jalen Adams" is second or third best player we can be very good.

Reaction Score
Re: tournament talk, I don't see us getting an at-large bid this year. Hopefully we can win the conference tournament. The committee doesn't like the AAC and Nova is our only marquee game left. We've got an uphill battle.

Reaction Score
Re: tournament talk, I don't see us getting an at-large bid this year. Hopefully we can win the conference tournament. The committee doesn't like the AAC and Nova is our only marquee game left. We've got an uphill battle.

We have FSU to play as well.

Reaction Score
Im actually really enjoying this season because I have no aspirations of a big tourney run. Im just enjoying watching the process and really like what I'm seeing from Hurley (outside of the pouty face) so far and he's been an absolute homerun of a hire for us. I think in two years we'll be back as a top ten program in the country.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
FSU is ranked 11th? and we play them this Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom