2020 Recruiting: - Hurley watching Cliff tomorrow (10/10) | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Hurley watching Cliff tomorrow (10/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jake went ahead and rounded that recruiting rank down for Cliff.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, so is the Squid, and that is where Omoruyi ends up, IMHO.

Reaction Score

I agree but I also think a lot can happen in 6 months. I’m happy we aren’t backing off of him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
IMG_20191005_192609018.jpg

Thanks for reminding me that I saw this license plate in downtown Springfield last Saturday night.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Curious what people think about a two center class. I don't see how that works unless one of them is clearly a developmental type project. To me that's Javonte Brown Ferguson. I don't see Cliff and Cardwell going to the same school.

C

Chief00

Curious what people think about a two center class. I don't see how that works unless one of them is clearly a developmental type project. To me that's Javonte Brown Ferguson. I don't see Cliff and Cardwell going to the same school.
Chief would love a rotation of Bigs. It would work well in addition to some scorers. Having said that, to your point, from a recruiting perspective it’s tough to sell.

Reaction Score
Since the Jackson signing I’ve thought we will sign a big and a transfer/ grad transfer. This seem the likely scenario

Reaction Score
After a center, I think we'd be crazy not to get another guard capable of handling the point in a pinch. Next year if we had just Gaffney and Cole, today's reported Gaffney sprained ankle would give us no logical replacement when Cole comes out of the game. I remember the end of the Auburn game a couple years ago where we had Purvis and 4 PF/C on the court at the same time. Not pretty. Get another guard versatile enough to play the 1 or 2.

Reaction Score
After a center, I think we'd be crazy not to get another guard capable of handling the point in a pinch. Next year if we had just Gaffney and Cole, today's reported Gaffney sprained ankle would give us no logical replacement when Cole comes out of the game. I remember the end of the Auburn game a couple years ago where we had Purvis and 4 PF/C on the court at the same time. Not pretty. Get another guard versatile enough to play the 1 or 2.
The 3rd string would be Brendan Adams. It would be hard to convince a better option to get on board right now anyway unless future playing time clears itself up over the course of this coming season. We'll see how everything is projecting come March.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I think we desperately need a guard. We think Gaffney will be good but haven't seen him play yet, might take him a while to figure out the point at this level and Cole we simply don't know how good he'll be. He did great at Howard but that's the worst league in the country, we just don't know.

Reaction Score
Get another guard versatile enough to play the 1 or 2.

agreed. i'm hopeful that the 3rd commit (after Jackson and Cardwell/Javonte Brown Ferguson) is a grad-transfer combo-guard. maybe Cliff or Gray also commit in the spring but having four centers on the roster is a very tough sell for hurley

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed, I think we desperately need a guard. We think Gaffney will be good but haven't seen him play yet, might take him a while to figure out the point at this level and Cole we simply don't know how good he'll be. He did great at Howard but that's the worst league in the country, we just don't know.

I don't really get this. Certainly not as a "desperate" level of need. The 2010-11 roster had Kemba, Shabazz, and Donnell Beverly as the ball handlers who could play the 1. Cole, Gaffney and Adams is a similar group in that way. Lamb could dribble, and arguably Bouk is a better ball handler than Lamb. Jackson is probably a better ball handler than anybody else on that team was. I looked back at prior UConn teams and don't really see any with more than two potential lead PGs and a combo as the emergency backup. The 08-09 team was about as guard heavy as I can recall with AJ, Kemba, Austrie, Dyson and Beverly. The 05-06 team was great and only had 3 guards who played any minutes, although Brown was versatile at wing. The 04-05 team only had Taliek, Williams, Gordon and Anderson.

I see a PG as critical in the 2021 class, and indeed we have offered two already.

Reaction Score
I don't really get this. Certainly not as a "desperate" level of need. The 2010-11 roster had Kemba, Shabazz, and Donnell Beverly as the ball handlers who could play the 1. Cole, Gaffney and Adams is a similar group in that way. Lamb could dribble, and arguably Bouk is a better ball handler than Lamb. Jackson is probably a better ball handler than anybody else on that team was. I looked back at prior UConn teams and don't really see any with more than two potential lead PGs and a combo as the emergency backup. The 08-09 team was about as guard heavy as I can recall with AJ, Kemba, Austrie, Dyson and Beverly. The 05-06 team was great and only had 3 guards who played any minutes, although Brown was versatile at wing. The 04-05 team only had Taliek, Williams, Gordon and Anderson.

I see a PG as critical in the 2021 class, and indeed we have offered two already.
You're comparing Cole, Gaffney, and Bouknight to Kemba, Bazz, and Lamb. Come on.

The 04-05 team only had Taliek, Williams, Gordon, and Anderson? Umm, that's the #10, #41, #41, and #24 recruits in the country. Come on.

Kemba was the best player in the country in 2010-2011 and you're comparing him to a guy who was the 479th ranked recruit who played great at Howard University.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Any time you are comparing what might be the best guard in UCONN history, and certainly the best guard in the country that year, to what we have now....

you can throw out the comparison.

Reaction Score
Adams may surprise people this year. His size and strength is overwhelming. Thinking he is a third stringer for his career is very premature. It may prove accurate but he certainly isn’t planning on that. He’s a physical monster in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
Adams may surprise people this year. His size and strength is overwhelming. Thinking he is a third stringer for his career is very premature. It may prove accurate but he certainly isn’t planning on that. He’s a physical monster in the backcourt.
The way people talk about Adams size and strength is strange and doesn't match reality. People saying he should be a college football linebacker or defensive end, he's a house, he's a physical monster, his size and strength is overwhelming...

You would think everyone is talking about Zion and not Brendan Adams. The kid is 6'4 200 lbs. He's not those things people are assigning to him. It's weird and unfair to him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The way people talk about Adams size and strength is strange and doesn't match reality. People saying he should be a college football linebacker or defensive end, he's a house, he's a physical monster, his size and strength is overwhelming...

You would think everyone is talking about Zion and not Brendan Adams. The kid is 6'4 200 lbs. He's not those things people are assigning to him. It's weird and unfair to him.
Everyone forgot what a properly conditioned athlete looked like.

Reaction Score
I saw him this summer and he made the the other guards look tiny. He’s a big kid. No, I don’t mean he’s like Zion. I mean he could break Gaffney and Bouknight in half with his bare hands. He’s really strong.

Reaction Score

He’s impressive for a guard. No one is saying he’s Zion. But the kids arms are defined, and his legs are huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom