Hurley quotes at Middlesex C o C Event | The Boneyard

Hurley quotes at Middlesex C o C Event

Reaction Score
All great stuff. Comcast used to air this on some local channel with Calhoun, you knew the season was close, and he would give a rundown of the players and team. It would be great if someone could track down video of this.

Great news about Tyler, these improvements have to be linked to his physicality and aggressiveness.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

This quote really intrigues me.
Is he saying it's going to be primarily last year's team all over?
Or is he saying these experienced guys who have a year under his coaching are going to be the nucleus of a power house this year? We saw the improvement in Josh last year. With the added muscle and another off season of development, is he seeing a dominant center in Josh? I know he loves CV's energy and determination -- levelwise, it matches his. If he feels that he has gotten CV to redirect that drive in a direction that meshes with his own, he's got to be thrilled. And AG. Well, we all know what he's capable of. If he stays healthy does what he's always been capable of, the sky (such as it is in the confines of the mediocrity that is the AAC) is the limit.

Reaction Score
Or is he saying these experienced guys who have a year under his coaching are going to be the nucleus of a power house this year? We saw the improvement in Josh last year. With the added muscle and another off season of development, is he seeing a dominant center in Josh? I know he loves CV's energy and determination -- levelwise, it matches his. If he feels that he has gotten CV to redirect that drive in a direction that meshes with his own, he's got to be thrilled. And AG. Well, we all know what he's capable of. If he stays healthy does what he's always been capable of, the sky (such as it is in the confines of the mediocrity that is the AAC) is the limit.

The three players you mentioned are all building blocks, for various reasons. I think the emerging star though is Bouknight. I think he has a higher ceiling than Josh, Christian or Alterique. I hope I am not wrong.

pj

Reaction Score
A coach is not going to throw his upperclassmen under the bus pre-season. They have a year under him and he's relying on them to help build up the team and the freshmen. Hurley has to take his time building team chemistry and finding everyone's role. Defense is a great thing to emphasize because that will bring the players with the right motivation and motor, plus the best athletic talent, to the fore. Every player knows where he stands on the defensive end.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Well those are the three top returning scorers and Polley would be next on that list. They are two juniors and two seniors (one with with two years of eligibility). He has talked about how he an CV are more on the same page. All the players now understand better what he wants. AG is healthy. Carlton was most improved last year and bulked up even more. Polley won the summer and Hurley says maybe he'll be most improved. That would be huge. Add to that: Akok, Bouk, Gaffney and Springs (plus Wilson, Adams, Whaley improving).

So no, not last year's team at all. The existing guys all got better. Then we added lots of new talent.

One example comes to mind for me. We pressed last year, until we got burned so often and turned the ball over so often that we had to stop and go back to half court D. That won't happen this year. The depth alone will allow him to sit down anybody who isn't running the D or the O as designed.

Reaction Score
All great stuff. Comcast used to air this on some local channel with Calhoun, you knew the season was close, and he would give a rundown of the players and team. It would be great if someone could track down video of this.

Great news about Tyler, these improvements have to be linked to his physicality and aggressiveness.

They (MCC) posted Geno to YouTube last year. Maybe they will post Hurley this year.

Reaction Score
I know CT-N, the state version of CSPAN put up Edsall's talk to this group back in August. Maybe they'll have it as well?

Reaction Score
Dom with the first article from the event. Good article. Comments from Hurley on everyone on the team.

“There’ll be no surprises this year, we’re more talented, we have more depth, we’re more athletic, but we’re younger. We’re going to have some high-end moments, and then some moments that are going to make me want to rip out whatever hair I have left out of my head. Just a part of the learning curve.”

Reaction Score
Great comments about the improvement and expectations for the veterans and potential of the newer players, but a less than ringing endorsement for Adams.

“We felt he’d be a good person, a good player to help us rebuild the program. He’s an incredibly hard worker, he can really shoot the ball, he’s physically very strong, he’s athletic enough. It’s a big year for him to improve and develop a role for himself at UConn. My expectation is that he’s going to prove himself to be a valuable player this year."

Reaction Score
wow! the praise for richie springs really jumped out to me:

“I think he is going to be great. He was a late add, but I think Richie, in his career, is going to prove to be as valuable as any of the other three freshman that probably came in with a lot more buzz. Richie’s 6-9, just turned 18, he’s still growing. Tristan Thompson is the best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached, he plays for the Cavaliers, Richie Springs is would be the second best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached. He’s such a quick jumper, traces the ball real well he’s going to develop a really good skill set. He could end up being 6-11 when it’s all said and done.”

Reaction Score
Great comments about the improvement and expectations for the veterans and potential of the newer players, but a less than ringing endorsement for Adams.

“We felt he’d be a good person, a good player to help us rebuild the program. He’s an incredibly hard worker, he can really shoot the ball, he’s physically very strong, he’s athletic enough. It’s a big year for him to improve and develop a role for himself at UConn. My expectation is that he’s going to prove himself to be a valuable player this year."

is a "valuable" player a rotation player? If so, that would be big for Adams to be a rotation contributor. Practice players are also called "valuable" sometimes though by their coaches. I think he will play and be good. He has to make shots though. Last year he had way too many nervous airball threes.

Reaction Score
Is there a chance to redshirt Springs and let him full grow and develop before hitting the court?

Reaction Score
wow! the praise for richie springs really jumped out to me:

“I think he is going to be great. He was a late add, but I think Richie, in his career, is going to prove to be as valuable as any of the other three freshman that probably came in with a lot more buzz. Richie’s 6-9, just turned 18, he’s still growing. Tristan Thompson is the best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached, he plays for the Cavaliers, Richie Springs is would be the second best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached. He’s such a quick jumper, traces the ball real well he’s going to develop a really good skill set. He could end up being 6-11 when it’s all said and done.”

Just what we need and have been lacking for years.
A willing offensive rebounder with the inate skills do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom