Hurley Pregame Availability v. Butler 1/17/22 | The Boneyard

Hurley Pregame Availability v. Butler 1/17/22

Reaction Score
Hurley alluding to AJ playing point with 2 wings and a 4 and 5.

I would absolutely consider spreading out all of Gaffs minutes to Martin, Hawkins, and Polley. Would likely help Cole play off the ball more as well.

Similarly, if Gaff is in the game. Have AJ initiate the offense and allow Gaff to play combo guard to attack and shoot open 3s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Need to get AJ a couple minutes rest but agree with him as point and Gaff as a 2 guard if they are on the court together.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hurley brings up 2pt % as an area of weakness. That’s maybe the most surprising thing about this team, we’re fine from 3 but can’t convert at the rim. Even Sanogo shoots a relatively low percentage for his position. This is made up for in the fact that we get a bunch of second chance opportunities with our size and toughness. For as talented as Cole is everywhere else he’s shooting a really low % at the rim. Even his makes seem way too difficult nothing that’s sustainable, he’s a few inches too small. I’d like to see our team get more looks in transition given these troubles and play more inside out in the half court.

Reaction Score
Hurley sounds pissed, and I absolutely love it. This dude will not be satisfied until we start living up to our potential. He has a massive chip on his shoulder and his frustration comes off in this video. He knows we should be a top-10 team right now, and it’s keeping him up at night.

Look for us to make a statement against Butler (x2) this week.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley alluding to AJ playing point with 2 wings and a 4 and 5.

I would absolutely consider spreading out all of Gaffs minutes to Martin, Hawkins, and Polley. Would likely help Cole play off the ball more as well.

Similarly, if Gaff is in the game. Have AJ initiate the offense and allow Gaff to play combo guard to attack and shoot open 3s.

AJ has played the point for much of the year. Even when Cole is in. Are people really not paying attention? Cole often moves to the wing as an off ball shooter. He’s also our most effective press breaker. His speed and long pass ability are a nightmare for teams that press.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hurley sounds pissed, and I absolutely love it. This dude will not be satisfied until we start living up to our potential. He has a massive chip on his shoulder and his frustration comes off in this video. He knows we should be a top-10 team right now, and it’s keeping him up at night.

Look for us to make a statement against Butler (x2) this week.
Well maybe if he could do something about getting outcoached down the stretch in games by failing to make adjustments he might actually get his team into the top 10.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really? Have you just lived through 2 yrs of pandemic zoom calls? I’m lucky I have pants on
Um, you do, don’t you?

Reaction Score
Well maybe if he could do something about getting outcoached down the stretch in games by failing to make adjustments he might actually get his team into the top 10.
Or maybe if he had a healthy roster for 3 of the 4 losses?

We beat the #1 team in the country in a 2OT game. Hurley has proven he can coach against the best when we’re at full strength. Cut him some slack, we’ve lost by a combined 14 pts.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Hurley brings up 2pt % as an area of weakness. That’s maybe the most surprising thing about this team, we’re fine from 3 but can’t convert at the rim. Even Sanogo shoots a relatively low percentage for his position. This is made up for in the fact that we get a bunch of second chance opportunities with our size and toughness. For as talented as Cole is everywhere else he’s shooting a really low % at the rim. Even his makes seem way too difficult nothing that’s sustainable, he’s a few inches too small. I’d like to see our team get more looks in transition given these troubles and play more inside out in the half court.
Martin has an issue finishing around the rim. Happened last year too

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

We beat the #1 team in the country in a 2OT game. Hurley has proven he can coach against the best when we’re at full strength. Cut him some slack, we’ve lost by a combined 14 pts.

I generally agree with this. But you realized that our close losses do suggest that maybe he could have made a small change that would affect the outcome. That said, players need to play. I think our worst loss was WVU, but the guys just missed a ton of wide open looks.

Reaction Score

Dang, it sucks that I missed our game against Gonzaga! It sounds like it was an exciting one!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Martin has an issue finishing around the rim. Happened last year too

Yes, Martin and Cole are very poor finishing at the rim and it was known from last year. The best outcome is often a missed layup and an offensive rebound put back.

Reaction Score
We're shooting 58.6% at the rim this year, which is slightly up from last year (56.4%). RJ is actually much improved, he was terrible at the rim last year (37%->50%). Gaffney is still struggling at the rim and the numbers back up Hawkins struggling as well for his size. Sanogo is actually really good at the rim (77%).

The real difference is we're taking a lot more "2 point jumpers" because that's what Sanogo's hook shots technically are. He's making them at 40%, which is not ideal. This goes back to the idea of him needing to get deeper position to raise up that % closer to 77 than 40.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We're shooting 58.6% at the rim this year, which is slightly up from last year (56.4%). RJ is actually much improved, he was terrible at the rim last year (37%->50%). Gaffney is still struggling at the rim and the numbers back up Hawkins struggling as well for his size. Sanogo is actually really good at the rim (77%).

The real difference is we're taking a lot more "2 point jumpers" because that's what Sanogo's hook shots technically are. He's making them at 40%, which is not ideal. This goes back to the idea of him needing to get deeper position to raise up that % closer to 77 than 40.
We all love sanogo, but his tendency to fall away from the rim on shots instead of leaning in is maddening at times. It’s his last step to becoming a dominant offensive player.

Reaction Score
AJ has played the point for much of the year. Even when Cole is in. Are people really not paying attention? Cole often moves to the wing as an off ball shooter. He’s also our most effective press breaker. His speed and long pass ability are a nightmare for teams that press.
I was referring more to getting the ball out of Gaffney’s hands.

And allowing Cole to take breaks while still being on the court like Kemba often did in 2011.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was referring more to getting the ball out of Gaffney’s hands.

And allowing Cole to take breaks while still being on the court like Kemba often did in 2011.

Sure. They’ve been doing that second part all year. The Gaffney part, not so much but he really needs Jackson to be in when he is in, so he can play off the ball. He’s better in that role.

Reaction Score

We still have 4 losses. Auburn is a great win but lets not pretend that the team playing today is the same one we faced in November.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom