Hurley post Cinncinati | The Boneyard

Hurley post Cinncinati

Reaction Score
I love Hurley's multiple comments about our
lack of "physicality". Show's he's focused on
finding some and developing some for next year. It might be our greatest overall weakness this season. At least it's up there with lack of scorers who can get themselves shots/points and rim protection.

Reaction Score
This year...Hurley is an interest draw for televised UConn games.

I've seen the use of the split screen featuring Hurley in several games.

Reaction Score
Espn really hyped Hurley all game with split screens etc. Can’t imagine Cinci fans were thrilled. Imagine it they kept showing Mick? Head bang
Showing Mick would cause viewers to change the channel.

This is just a theory. And this late in the season even I question it. But here it goes. Do you think that the underlying message about Gilbert in Hurley's comments were meant for JA? That if JA approached his life the way that Gilbert does, it would be much better for him? That this is what JA needs to do to reach his potential?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is just a theory. And this late in the season even I question it. But here it goes. Do you think that the underlying message about Gilbert in Hurley's comments were meant for JA? That if JA approached his life the way that Gilbert does, it would be much better for him? That this is what JA needs to do to reach his potential?
With no knowledge I’d say this was more a message to the whole team/future recruits. To subliminally address your injured Sr through the media who may not play again this year would be in bad taste & petty at best.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably a message to CV and Sid since they didn't start.

Reaction Score
With no knowledge I’d say this was more a message to the whole team/future recruits. To subliminally address your injured Sr through the media who may not play again this year would be in bad taste & petty at best.
He never used JA's name so if he was it was pretty subtle. But as CL82 said it might be aimed at a broader audience.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Probably a message to CV and Sid since they didn't start.
He never used JA's name so if he was it was pretty subtle. But as CL82 said it might be aimed at a broader audience.
He came back to it a couple times during the presser; I'd say it was as much a statement of Hurley's state of mind as anything. Simply put, Alterique is the only player on this roster who acts and plays like Hurley would like all of his players to act and play. Vital can be a valuable contributor if he plays within himself, and a couple of the other guys may have potential, but Alterique is likely the only guy who resembles the type of player that Hurley sees as a key piece to a quality, winning program.

Reaction Score
What Hurley said about CV is what i have been saying for 2 years now. Here it is, "

Hurley said: “Let’s just keep this to a basketball perspective. He competes his tail off. Those defensive rebounds, getting fouled, really just spurred on the team with those effort plays. He’s got to fight the urge to try to do too much off the dribble. If he relies on his 3-point shot and puts value on being a great defender and a good defensive rebounder, he’s a really valuable, good player on the court. When he starts trying to do too much off the dribble, things start to go sideways and he loses value as a player. But I loved the way the whole group competed today.”

Shoot threes, play defense and rebound. Thats it. Please do not drive the basketball.

Reaction Score
What Hurley said about CV is what i have been saying for 2 years now. Here it is, "

Hurley said: “Let’s just keep this to a basketball perspective. He competes his tail off. Those defensive rebounds, getting fouled, really just spurred on the team with those effort plays. He’s got to fight the urge to try to do too much off the dribble. If he relies on his 3-point shot and puts value on being a great defender and a good defensive rebounder, he’s a really valuable, good player on the court. When he starts trying to do too much off the dribble, things start to go sideways and he loses value as a player. But I loved the way the whole group competed today.”

Shoot threes, play defense and rebound. Thats it. Please do not drive the basketball.

Vital was the most important player for either team last game. EXCEPT when he put the ball on the floor. He was really unbelievable. He was everywhere the ball was. He was the engine for that comeback by making hustle plays and grabbing big rebounds over bigger guys and getting fouled and sinking his FTs (rest of team was 8/16 on FTs, he was 5/5). If we needed a play, he made it. He was so fun to watch.

But he made a couple bad drives and threw inaccurate passes to bigs who weren't ready and coughed the ball up a couple times. He's a GREAT glue guy. He just can't be a primary initiator this season. Maybe if he cleans up his handle and both he and his teammates get a better feel for where everyone will be in Hurley's system next year he can be a secondary playmaker, but it's a net negative when he does it this season.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

He's not talking to JA! JA is done. He's talking to the rest of the team who will be there next year and beyond. He wants Al to set the example for others to follow. Right now you have to pencil in Al, CV, Sid, Polley and Josh as our starting 5.

Reaction Score
He's not talking to JA! JA is done. He's talking to the rest of the team who will be there next year and beyond. He wants Al to set the example for others to follow. Right now you have to pencil in Al, CV, Sid, Polley and Josh as our starting 5.
I hope that is only for this season as it is for next year we are in trouble.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I agree but I am afraid this might be the line up for the start of next season too.

Reaction Score
Hope not. Really don’t wanna see polley or Carlton starting for us ever again after this year. I think akok will deff start over sid/polley

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Don't get your hopes up about Akok early in the season. True he is joining the program early, but then so did Sid. Maybe by mid season he may see starters minutes

Reaction Score
Don't get your hopes up about Akok early in the season. True he is joining the program early, but then so did Sid. Maybe by mid season he may see starters minutes

He's going to give us at least as much as Polley is right now, from Day 1, and likely more with rim protection. And by starting him you fast track his development. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start,

Reaction Score
Hope not. Really don’t wanna see polley or Carlton starting for us ever again after this year. I think akok will deff start over sid/polley
Carlton gets better the more he plays. He was huge on the defensive end during our comeback against a quality opponent. I watch this kid get better and better and don't understand the animus aimed at him as a player.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Carlton gets better the more he plays. He was huge on the defensive end during our comeback against a quality opponent. I watch this kid get better and better and don't understand the animus aimed at him as a player.
I agree. Both Josh's and Christian's development and improvement under Hurley are two of the rare bright spots in this otherwise craptastic season.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
"Showing Mick would cause viewers to change the channel." -Palatine.

That's hilarious! It would be great if somehow we could add gifs of leprechauns to go with the split screens.
I've come to consider him humorous to watch after having some resentments. He has been so bashed on this blog that it has become like a cartoon character; mainly because he is such a hothead and have to admit he has had very good production at Cincy. Worthy opponent and hat off to the little carrot top!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom