Hurley on WFAN | The Boneyard

Hurley on WFAN

Reaction Score
thanks for the head's up!

pikiell is on carton & roberts pretty regularly and rutgers' play-by-play guy is a producer on boomer & gio -- every time i hear people talk about rutgers on wfan i get kinda jealous haha.

Reaction Score
My notes, nothing groundbreaking:
  • On season so far:
    • Hard to celebrate season so far when you didn't win a BE chip given the expectations being at UConn
    • A couple of finishes in the paint on Friday from playing Saturday
    • Losing Bouk was tough but a better team going into the NCAAT than last year
  • On draw/NCCAT
    • "Everyone's vulnerable" -- "anything can happen"
  • UConn 1 of 3 teams in the country that didn't take a transfer (w/ Nova and Purdue) according to Hurley
    • "Culture over portal"
    • Could have used a little more firepower on the perimeter
    • Hard to do scheduling in April/May when you have no idea who's going to be on the other teams' rosters come season
  • On scouting:
    • Teddy Allen tremendous player, 20 ppg -- "big time player" -- turns 24 next month
    • Talks to a lot of former coaches to get as much information and data as possible to break down
  • On growing up w/ Bobby
    • "Tough kids played in the park, soft kids in the driveway. We played in the park"
    • Bobby would kick his ass all the time, but Bobby would fist fight on Danny's behalf when he would mouth off to older kids
    • Bobby's will is nothing he's ever seen before. "He's a dog."
    • Hard growing up in Bobby's shadow; thankful it wasn't during in social media era
  • On urgency to get UConn back to National Champion stage
    • Loved coaching URI, loved being the hunted in A-10, class of the conference. Only would leave to go to a Final Four contender
    • "I didn't come here to be good. I came here to be one of the elite coaches in the country."
    • "When you come to a top place, you have to be able to make deep runs in March, in the tournament."
    • Had no idea BE was on the table when he took the job in 2018 (but knew AAC was "sucking the life out of basketball")
    • Villanova game felt like S16/E8 game
    • "UConn is right back where it belongs"
    • UConn being back in the BE is as good for UConn as it is for the BE
  • On relationship w/ Calhoun:
    • "He's the GOAT" -- on Mt. Rushmore of best coaches after Wooden
    • "I'm smart enough to use my resources" which includes talking to Geno and Calhoun
    • He'll have both of them talk to individual players, the team as needed
    • Calhoun will rip him if he whines/complains -- happened first week after an early practice and lit him up, threw him out of his office. "A moment of weakness, I needed that."
  • Heading out to Buffalo tomorrow night
    • "UConn takes over when we hit the road"

Reaction Score
Good spot...funny story about Calhoun throwing DH out of his office first week on the job when Hurley got "whiney" about the state of program back then. JC telling him..."Danny that's why you're here...fix it"

A little too much on DH and his relationship with his brother Bobby and not enough on current team but direction that Tiki & Tierney took the interview....but was a enjoyable 20 minute listen either way.

Reaction Score
that was one of the better hurley interviews i have heard. really funny and candid.

as far as the ncaat goes, mentioned that he was in touch with a bunch of people who have coached/scouted against allen from nmsu. there are obviously a lot of them floating around college basketball!

Reaction Score
Pikiell landed nicely on his feet-16 million Rutgers, good for him
Was thinking about that in context of Pikiell's UConn playing career which got derailed due to shoulder issues - yet he stuck with the program and had his moments. Even without injury Pikiell was a long-shot to make the NBA, but I bet healthy he would have either made it or played overseas and earned some decent money. Instead similar to his playing career he played the long game and now finally 30 (!) years later has found his pot o' gold. Gym rat through and thru, perseverance personified, good for him.

Reaction Score
Good spot...funny story about Calhoun throwing DH out of his office first week on the job when Hurley got "whiney" about the state of program back then. JC telling him..."Danny that's why you're here...fix it"

A little too much on DH and his relationship with his brother Bobby and not enough on current team but direction that Tiki & Tierney took the interview....but was a enjoyable 20 minute listen either way.

that's why we are paying you however million of dollars

Reaction Score

agreed, but i feel like most interviews tend to focus on his relationship with his dad, so some of the bobby stuff was new to me.

tierney gave an all-time big east team that hurley had no objection to. it included ray as the starting 2 and kemba off the bench, but no other huskies. probably fair, although i think rip has to be in the conversation.

Reaction Score
i had a meeting but if anyone gets a link to relisten, post it.
at some point today you should be able to hear at below....not there yet.

Reaction Score
I'm not always a fan of some of his facial gestures on the court (petty of me) but he always does well in interviews. Honest. Surprisingly open at times.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
  • On season so far:
    • Hard to celebrate season so far when you didn't win a BE chip given the expectations being at UConn
  • On draw/NCCAT
  • UConn 1 of 3 teams in the country that didn't take a transfer (w/ Nova and Purdue) according to Hurley
    • "Culture over portal"
    • Hard to do scheduling in April/May when you have no idea who's going to be on the other teams' rosters come season
  • On scouting:
    • Teddy Allen tremendous player, 20 ppg -- "big time player" -- turns 24 next month
    • Talks to a lot of former coaches to get as much information and data as possible to break down
  • On growing up w/ Bobby
    • "Tough kids played in the park, soft kids in the driveway. We played in the park"
    • Bobby would kick his ass all the time, but Bobby would fist fight on Danny's behalf when he would mouth off to older kids
    • Hard growing up in Bobby's shadow; thankful it wasn't during in social media era
    • Loved coaching URI, loved being the hunted in A-10, class of the conference. Only would leave to go to a Final Four contender
    • "I didn't come here to be good. I came here to be one of the elite coaches in the country."
    • "When you come to a top place, you have to be able to make deep runs in March, in the tournament."
    • Had no idea BE was on the table when he took the job in 2018 (but knew AAC was "sucking the life out of basketball")
    • "I'm smart enough to use my resources" which includes talking to Geno and Calhoun
    • Calhoun will rip him if he whines/complains -- happened first week after an early practice and lit him up, threw him out of his office. "A moment of weakness, I needed that."
Thank you. Fantastic synopsis

Curiouser
Reaction Score
  • On season so far:
  • On draw/NCCAT
    • "Culture over portal"
  • On scouting:
  • On growing up w/ Bobby
A+. I would have borrowed your notes for every class in school!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
but knew AAC was "sucking the life out of basketball"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member