Hurley on Carlton and Gilbert's injury | The Boneyard

Hurley on Carlton and Gilbert's injury

Reaction Score
Josh Carlton looks to continue his block party on Sunday, a few blocks from his hometown

On Josh:
“The shot-blocking, and even holding up in the low post, are areas we were really worried about ,” Hurley admitted. “The rim-protection’s been better than we thought. Because he’s got basketball I.Q., he’s a smart guy, he’s learned how to time things, play angles. He’s held up pretty well, one-on-one in the post, guarding a guy, taking multiple dribbles — and without a whole lot of length and bodyguards around him.”

On Gilbert:
UConn typically sends about a half-dozen video clips of fouls and other calls to the AAC office after each game, and this was no exception. Hurley was a bit miffed why the hit Gilbert took wasn’t a flagrant foul, but Brendan Adams was called for a flagrant for a far less egregious foul earlier in the game.

“(Gilbert’s situation) was the right call based on wording of the rule,” said Hurley, “but it’s hard to think that Brendan committed a flagrant and Al’s wasn’t.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like what I've seen from Carlton over the last two months. Akok will add some length around Carlton. Still keeping my fingers crossed they can pull in one more big.

Hoping Al can bounce back and really take his potential/talent to the next level. With two good, long guards coming in with Bouknight and Gaffney, it's easy to be excited for things to come.

The Brendan Adams flagrant foul was absurd. He did grab or pull on the player. He made a play on the ball and fouled the shooter. It was not flagrant at all in my opinion. I missed the Gilbert shot to the face and can't seem to find any video on it.

Reaction Score
Josh Carlton looks to continue his block party on Sunday, a few blocks from his hometown

On Josh:
“The shot-blocking, and even holding up in the low post, are areas we were really worried about ,” Hurley admitted. “The rim-protection’s been better than we thought. Because he’s got basketball I.Q., he’s a smart guy, he’s learned how to time things, play angles. He’s held up pretty well, one-on-one in the post, guarding a guy, taking multiple dribbles — and without a whole lot of length and bodyguards around him.”

On Gilbert:
UConn typically sends about a half-dozen video clips of fouls and other calls to the AAC office after each game, and this was no exception. Hurley was a bit miffed why the hit Gilbert took wasn’t a flagrant foul, but Brendan Adams was called for a flagrant for a far less egregious foul earlier in the game.

“(Gilbert’s situation) was the right call based on wording of the rule,” said Hurley, “but it’s hard to think that Brendan committed a flagrant and Al’s wasn’t.”

Forget flagrant. The hit on Gilbert was not called a foul at all. In fact, literally adding insult to injury, they called a foul on Gilbert.

Since when is it okay to smash a guy in the face, intentional or not? Almost every foul is unintentional. They are still called. WTF?

Reaction Score
Forget flagrant. The hit on Gilbert was not called a foul at all. In fact, literally adding insult to injury, they called a foul on Gilbert.

Since when is it okay to smash a guy in the face, intentional or not? Almost every foul is unintentional. They are still called. WTF?

What happened to Gilbert was completely inadvertant. Thats why a foul wasnt called.

Reaction Score
I like what I've seen from Carlton over the last two months. Akok will add some length around Carlton. Still keeping my fingers crossed they can pull in one more big.

Hoping Al can bounce back and really take his potential/talent to the next level. With two good, long guards coming in with Bouknight and Gaffney, it's easy to be excited for things to come.

The Brendan Adams flagrant foul was absurd. He did grab or pull on the player. He made a play on the ball and fouled the shooter. It was not flagrant at all in my opinion. I missed the Gilbert shot to the face and can't seem to find any video on it.
He took a backhand to the nose from a big guy swinging around wildly right in front of the referee.
I’m not saying it was flagrant but having his arms in that position in a crowd could certainly be called a foul.

Reaction Score
He took a backhand to the nose from a big guy swinging around wildly right in front of the referee.
I’m not saying it was flagrant but having his arms in that position in a crowd could certainly be called a foul.
The Gilbert foul was accidental but it was definitely a foul.

Reaction Score
This shows that something is in fact being done about the officiating. Its been pretty much common knowledge that the officiating has been bad across the league. Hopefully something can be done about it going forward.

Reaction Score
What happened to Gilbert was completely inadvertant. Thats why a foul wasnt called.
Virtually all fouls are inadvertant. They are still called. If you brush someone with your butt on a screen it's called. If you touch an elbow on a shot it's called.

Smashing somene in the face with your fist, inadvertent or not, is against the rules. It's a foul.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m glad Hurley spoke out about how silly the flagrant on Adams was compared to what happened to Gilbert. I feel like I’m the moment, it’s hard to ask the refs to look at it without being insensitive to Al laying on the floor in a pool of blood.

People here were saying they couldn’t review because there was no foul thus nothing to review. That is not the case. I can recall half a dozen times where they went back and called a flagrant where there wasn’t originally a foul on Brimah.

If what Adams did is a flagrant then it’s time to start calling ever last 90 seconds stop the clock fouls flagrant.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

If you fall and accidentally trip someone it’s a fouls.. inadvertent doesn’t stop something from being a foul.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I would also add that while likely not intentional, the spastic, exaggerated follow through was also not a basketball played was certainly reckless in the same way that swinging elbows in a crowd is reckless. The way it was called did benefit the league’s goal to push for Temple to get in the NCAAs,...not saying that affected the way it was called

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom