Hurley Media Availability Tweets | The Boneyard

Hurley Media Availability Tweets

Reaction Score
While Hurley didn’t rule out looking for Class of 2022 players, the emphasis appears to be on bringing in veteran talent.

“We’ve got some building blocks here that we can build around,” Hurley noted, “and some young players that believe they’re going to be able to fight their way on the court.”

He emphasized that he’d like to get back to the “four-out” style (four shooters around one big man) that he had success with at Rhode Island.

“Just get more skill on the court,” Hurley said. “Having three non-shooters in the game just becomes tough ... I think it’s really important we put guys next to Andre (Jackson) and Jordan (Hawkins), or Corey (Floyd Jr.) or Jalen (Gaffney). We’ve got to make sure it all fits.”

Reaction Score
While Hurley didn’t rule out looking for Class of 2022 players, the emphasis appears to be on bringing in veteran talent.

“We’ve got some building blocks here that we can build around,” Hurley noted, “and some young players that believe they’re going to be able to fight their way on the court.”

He emphasized that he’d like to get back to the “four-out” style (four shooters around one big man) that he had success with at Rhode Island.

“Just get more skill on the court,” Hurley said. “Having three non-shooters in the game just becomes tough ... I think it’s really important we put guys next to Andre (Jackson) and Jordan (Hawkins), or Corey (Floyd Jr.) or Jalen (Gaffney). We’ve got to make sure it all fits.”
This quote is equal parts frustrating and encouraging.

446F80DE-3A49-42B5-A241-F8B2C3B79CA2.jpeg

Reaction Score
That's the point, you have no idea where he's going to be in 4 or 5 years. If you have a player who can really help you especially when he can do things that are the glaring weakness on your team because nobody else it equipped to do it, you play him. It makes it even worse that this team was so close but was missing a strong physical guard, who can handle, get into the lane and hit the open three reasonably well.
Yeah I can't say I agree with that. He's going to be a really good player for us this year but minutes at the 2/3 were not what we were missing, Hawkins was already not getting enough minutes there. The only time minutes opened up was after Hawkins' concussion and I don't think you throw away Floyd's whole redshirt year plan the last 2 weeks of the season

Reaction Score
I don’t think Hurley feels Cory Floyd would have made us that much better. He’s just saying he’s a good player that could have made a difference here and there. He was still a 17 year old frosh.

Reaction Score
So who was shooting around during this? And who wasn’t?

Reaction Score
Yeah I can't say I agree with that. He's going to be a really good player for us this year but minutes at the 2/3 were not what we were missing, Hawkins was already not getting enough minutes there. The only time minutes opened up was after Hawkins' concussion and I don't think you throw away Floyd's whole redshirt year plan the last 2 weeks of the season
You watched this team all season and didn't think we needed another ballhandler who could get into the lane? Gaffney got those minutes all season.

Reaction Score
He was a 17 year old borderline top 100 recruit. He was not going to solve the issues this team had.
I mean our last two games were decided by a possession or 2 and we were essentially rolling out a 6 man rotation without Hawk. I’m not saying we would be playing in the final 4 this weekend but he might’ve helped us win a game.

For example I don’t know if Nova beats us without Longino who played 10 clutch minutes and went 2/3 from the field.

Reaction Score
I mean our last two games were decided by a possession or 2 and we were essentially rolling out a 6 man rotation without Hawk. I’m not saying we would be playing in the final 4 this weekend but he might’ve helped us win a game.

For example I don’t know if Nova beats us without Longino who played 10 clutch minutes and went 2/3 from the field.
If we burned Floyd’s redshirt the last 2 weeks of the season bc Hawkins got hurt, people would’ve been calling for DH’s head. Boneyard is the king of revisionist history.

Reaction Score

Nova is in the final 4 with a 6 man rotation

Reaction Score
If there’s any chance that a player can help you you have him on the active roster. You have no clue what will happen in 4 years. Corey was a focal point on the best AAU team I had ever seen last year. He definitely could have helped. We were a guard short. Horrible decision in retrospect.

He wasn't a focal point. Duren, Lively, Bates were the focal points by far. Corey was still very good, but he didn't show anything that suggested he was ready to take the lead at this level.

Reaction Score
That's the point, you have no idea where he's going to be in 4 or 5 years. If you have a player who can really help you especially when he can do things that are the glaring weakness on your team because nobody else it equipped to do it, you play him. It makes it even worse that this team was so close but was missing a strong physical guard, who can handle, get into the lane and hit the open three reasonably well.
With the transfer portal so prevalent, it's certainly a consideration when discussing redshirting. There is less chance a player does stick around 4 years now (between NBA, other pro leagues/Europe, and transferring).

Floyd does seem like the type that may slot into that 4 year sweet spot though. So we'll see.

Reaction Score
This. I think it’s crazy to think it’s a guarantee anyone stays 4 years in today’s college basketball.

Reaction Score
He was a 17 year old borderline top 100 recruit. He was not going to solve the issues this team had.
Yeah. Should have played Diggins more….seriously, I used to be pro-redshirt, but in the current environment, it makes zero sense if you think a player can help to not use him. Between guys leaving early and the portal, the chance that a player stays for 4-5 years, is really slim. If he can help you, play him. Next year he might be at Northern South Dakota or Farbelow Normal College.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don’t think Hurley feels Cory Floyd would have made us that much better. He’s just saying he’s a good player that could have made a difference here and there. He was still a 17 year old frosh.
An extremely experienced, mentally and physically mature 17 year old. Im confident that he would have been in the rotation if he played.

Reaction Score
There must be a bonfire of sage going at Hurleys house tonight. Hoping no one else leaves. He has to figure out Sanogo/Clingan, Akok/Johnson/Springs, Hawkins/Floyd, Jackson/Karaban, Gaffney and ?. No great point guard is job #1

Reaction Score
AJ played the 2/3 and we needed a scorer. So many of you are blinded by his athleticism, which is awesome. Imagine RJ, Hawk, Martin, and a 4th shooter on the floor.

Reaction Score
An extremely experienced, mentally and physically mature 17 year old. Im confident that he would have been in the rotation if he played.
Eh. Maybe. He looked like a great player in AAU/high school and I can’t wait to see him play, but the transition to college is big. It is tough to match up with 20-22 year old men at that age. Especially, Big East caliber players. The kids that can do that usually go straight to the league.

Reaction Score
Obviously, it would have been tough on Floyd to be thrown to the wolves late in the season, but would Floyd have lost a year of eligibility to have played in the last games where Hawkins was out or limited? In the past I thought a player could still red shirt as long as they didn't play in a certain percentage of games, and, I don't recall that it mattered as to when in the season those games occurred.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom