Hurley Insights on The UConn Blog | The Boneyard

Hurley Insights on The UConn Blog

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
“A lot of those emotions are directed now toward things that we’ll be able to do at UConn,” he said, “besides pursue championships together and these guys pursing their education and degree, pursuing their craft. Obviously, there is a new focus and a new understanding of what our responsibilities are going to be moving forward, especially when we get together again. … With everything that’s going on in this country, from [COVID-19] to George Floyd, this is an unbelievable time to look at yourself, deep inside yourself and your relationship to others.”

"As Hurley, his coaches and players wrestle with the complex issues of race in America, there is still no timetable for campus to reopen and when the team might be able to begin working as a group..."

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the team is still waiting to hear if URI transfer Tyrese Martin will receive a transfer waiver to play this upcoming season. He committed to UConn back on April 7.

“That’s something we’re exploring, no update on that,” Hurley said on the possible transfer waiver. “I do think that Tyrese is a different situation than RJ, who was really looking for that year to build up his body and to use that redshirt year.”

Who was the poster in another thread telling us that Martin said he wanted to redshirt and wasn't asking for a waiver?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More insights on the roster-

The first is obviously Bouk. The second is AJ. The third has to be akok or sanogo. It’s a very realistic opinion and I agree with it, but I’m just a tad surprised he didn’t say there's at least 4 future pros on the team. “A quality life” doesn’t necessarily mean the nba, it can mean playing abroad too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The first is obviously Bouk. The second is AJ. The third has to be akok or sanogo. It’s a very realistic opinion and I agree with it, but I’m just a tad surprised he didn’t say he’s got at least 4 future pros on the team. “A quality life” doesn’t necessarily mean the nba, it can mean playing abroad too.

Agreed. Whaley can make a nice living overseas, Josh too. Martin certainly seems good enough as well. Boo Willingham played overseas and he did virtually nothing at UConn. I'd be surprised if at least half the guys on the current roster didn't make nice livings playing professionally either in the NBA or abroad.

Reaction Score
I found it. It was @HanDurley. A perfect example of why you can't believe everything you read on the Boneyard.

I was told he was “planning on sitting out the year, like RJ.” I interpreted that as it meant he preferred to sit, as RJ did. Where in turn I guess it meant he plans to not get a waiver and will have to sit a year like RJ. I hope he gets one lol. My mistake, but this is why I don’t share a lot of info I get on here.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the team is still waiting to hear if URI transfer Tyrese Martin will receive a transfer waiver to play this upcoming season. He committed to UConn back on April 7.

“That’s something we’re exploring, no update on that,” Hurley said on the possible transfer waiver. “I do think that Tyrese is a different situation than RJ, who was really looking for that year to build up his body and to use that redshirt year.”

Who was the poster in another thread telling us that Martin said he wanted to redshirt and wasn't asking for a waiver?

We also had another person claiming to have met with Hurley saying Martin already had a waiver last month.

Reaction Score

The first is obviously Bouk. The second is AJ. The third has to be akok or sanogo. It’s a very realistic opinion and I agree with it, but I’m just a tad surprised he didn’t say there's at least 4 future pros on the team. “A quality life” doesn’t necessarily mean the nba, it can mean playing abroad too.

If we include playing abroad I think there'd be 10 guys at a minimum who'd be capable and even that feels low

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Agreed. Whaley can make a nice living overseas, Josh too. Martin certainly seems good enough as well. Boo Willingham played overseas and he did virtually nothing at UConn. I'd be surprised if at least half the guys on the current roster didn't make nice livings playing professionally either in the NBA or abroad.
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of that 2 or 3 "in my program" comment. But it didn't sound that literal to me. The way he said it, it seemed like he was saying there are 2 or 3 guys who right now have a pretty clear path to the NBA. Not that there are only 2-3 guys on the 13 man roster who have a chance to ultimately support themselves playing bball.

What he said (and the way he said it) should probably be put in context. What was the vibe of that discussion? I think he was saying as a coach it's not just about pumping players through to the NBA. I think he's about a lot more than that.

But then again, there's no way Boneyarders could be over-thinking this, and that his kids actually know what he meant. :(

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The phrase was to make enough money from basketball to live a quality life.

For these kids who would be in workforce for next 40-50 years, they will need to earn at least $4-$5m, probably closer to $6m to live a quality life in a quality neighborhood with a quality home.

Only 2-3 will make that sum total from hoops. Several others can get a good start towards that total but will need something beyond basketball to get to that number.

Reaction Score
Y’all are absolutely overthinking it :) He didn’t have anyone in particular in mind, it’s any given roster. He’s just saying they have to focus on preparing their guys for life after basketball, whenever that happens. Could be 10 years in the NBA, 4 years in Italy, whatever.

Dan’s always talked a lot about how college coaches and professors are the last formal educators these guys will have, so how do they set it up so they walk away with skills that can drastically improve their lives. He was also putting it in the context of the conversations they’ve been having the last week or so about everything that’s been going on. It’s idealistic, but it’s the idea of how do we make our guys better for the world and the world better for our guys.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The phrase was to make enough money from basketball to live a quality life.

For these kids who would be in workforce for next 40-50 years, they will need to earn at least $4-$5m, probably closer to $6m to live a quality life in a quality neighborhood with a quality home.

Only 2-3 will make that sum total from hoops. Several others can get a good start towards that total but will need something beyond basketball to get to that number.
I'm asking this because I respect your opinion....you think only 2-3 guys on the current roster will make a total of $4-6 million over their entire working careers from basketball, obviously including coaching (and maybe or maybe not including any other income uplift they get from being a former UConn player)? You may be right. But ima gonna start keeping track. I just don't see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot depends on what Danny means by "a quality life." By DH standards that probably means multi-multi-millionaire.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
A lot depends on what Danny means by "a quality life." By DH standards that probably means multi-multi-millionaire.
You can't retire off of a hundreds of thousand of bucks made in your 20s.

Time doesn't work that way

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm asking this because I respect your opinion....you think only 2-3 guys on the current roster will make a total of $4-6 million over their entire working careers from basketball, obviously including coaching (and maybe or maybe not including any other income uplift they get from being a former UConn player)? You may be right. But ima gonna start keeping track. I just don't see it.

Yes, based on what we have seen from performance on the court, I think 3 or less can make an entire career's worth of money playing basketball.

Bouk is a definite. He will get drafted next year and be a first round pick. So, he gets the money up front on first contract.

Other than Bouk, there isn't a guaranteed NBA player on the roster.

Bunch of people are throwing out Andre Jackson, but I want to see him play first. Even if us UConn fans think he was underrated and should be a top 30 recruit, the numbers aren't very good for players in that ranking range to make it to the NBA.
I think Whaley can make a bunch overseas and could potentially get a free agent look to make an NBA roster.
Not sure if Josh can play overseas or not, but he isn't NBA material. Same with Tyler Phommachanh.
We haven't seen Javonte, or Richie Springs play yet. From what I've seen of Martin, he's not going to the NBA.
Akok is intriguing and may be the second best prospect based on his speed, shot blocking and shooting as a stretch 4.
In the backcourt, Gaffney, Cole and Adams aren't anywhere ready to be in the NBA. Out of those three I think Gaffney has the best chance of being the #3 PG on an NBA roster.

This is by no means a knock on these kids. With only two rounds in the draft and the foreigners, it's tough to get a contract. On any given year there are five schools or less with 3 or more NBA players on the roster.

I think several of them can pocket $1-$2 million bouncing around, playing ball and seeing parts of the world before they are 30. They'll be taxed at high rates as single with no dependents and many overseas locations have even higher rates. That money means you still have to work another 30 years.

Reaction Score
Kind of weird that you don’t know that much about the coach of your team.
I know what he said. ""Of the 13-15 guys in my program, only 2 or 3 of them may make enough money playing basketball to live a quality life."

Living in Europe or Asia, playing basketball, making good living, having a family is "a quality life" and almost every UConn starter will get that chance. And some may play a few years and have "a quality life" as a coach. And they have every chance to live a quality life with (or without basketball.)"

A couple will get an NBA paycheck and live the dream. I think that is what he was refferring to and it was a poor choice of words.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I know what he said. ""Of the 13-15 guys in my program, only 2 or 3 of them may make enough money playing basketball to live a quality life."

Living in Europe or Asia, playing basketball, making good living, having a family is "a quality life" and almost every UConn starter will get that chance. And some may play a few years and have "a quality life" as a coach. And they have every chance to live a quality life with (or without basketball.)"

A couple will get an NBA paycheck and live the dream. I think that is what he was refferring to and it was a poor choice of words.
His point is that only 2 or 3 will never need another job other than basketball. Everyone else will need to figure out how to develop a career outside of it at some point, whether it's right after school or after some time playing overseas.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kind of weird that you don’t know that much about the coach of your team.

His point is that only 2 or 3 will never need another job other than basketball. Everyone else will need to figure out how to develop a career outside of it at some point, whether it's right after school or after some time playing overseas.

Probably more nuance than semantics. In order to live a quality life in a quality neighborhood a 20 year old will earn multi millions of dollars in his working life time. May not acquire enough assets to be considered a multimillionaire, but they will earn over a million in salary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom