Hurley Effect | The Boneyard

Hurley Effect

Reaction Score
Makes one feel like being in coma for the last few years. He's such a good coach, with the strength as a effective player coach. He's playing 8-10 guys and I see no pouting, sad faces or disgruntlement when substituted. He's pushing buttons, making them bust their butts and having them understand playing time is earned. I see no favorites either, although I'm sure he loves having Jalen on his team. He's got Vital, Jalen, Polley, Carlton and Cobb playing much better this year than last. Makes a fan feel sorry for Boatright, Deandre and DHam. Too bad Jalen didn't have him for four years. But enough of the rear view mirror, all that seems so distant now.

Also he's building a machine, one that's very powerful and not reliant on any one part. Although Jalen is the most important piece.

Its becoming obvious that the decision to bring him on is looking to be a program saver for us. And its just the beginning, very beginning. Goes to show, you don't have to have UConn pedigree to know UConn pedigree.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Makes one feel like being in coma for the last few years. He's such a good coach, with the strength as a effective player coach. He's playing 8-10 guys and I see no pouting, sad faces or disgruntlement when substituted. He's pushing buttons, making them bust their butts and understanding playing time is earned. I see no favorites either, although I'm sure he loves having Jalen on his team. He's got Vital, Jalen, Polley, Carlton and Cobb playing much better this year than last. Makes a fan feel sorry for Boatright, Deandre and DHam. Too bad Jalen didn't have him for four years. But enough of he rear view mirror, all that seems so distant now.

Also he's building a machine, one that's very powerful and not reliant on any one part. Although Jalen is the most important piece.

Its becoming obvious that the decision to bring him on is looking to be a program saver for us. And its just the beginning, very beginning. Goes to show, you don't have to have UConn pedigree to know UConn pedigree.
Everything is night and day, and he's only brought in two of his own guys. We'll be top 25 by the end of this season, imo.

Reaction Score
Only thing about Hurley is that he seems surprised about how UConn works. I don’t think I ever heard a word about the XL center before with Ollie but a game like tonight wasn’t gunna get more than 6,000 people and that shoulda been played at gampel. I’m hoping he changes some of the scheduled games the next few years. He went from packed houses for every Rhode Island game to this mismanagement of arenas. It does have a huge effect sometimes on energy and performance.

Reaction Score
He is an amazing coach. You would be hard pressed to find any coach with more passion for the game. Give it a few years (or maybe even next year with at least 3 real nice players) and this program will be elite again. He loves it and wants it and will cover all bases to get there. We as a school and fanbase are truly fortunate to have Danny Hurley running the program.

Guy hits the deck hard, 3 or 4 teammates rush over the help him up. Thats also part of the Hurley effect. Chief00 will approve of this message.

Reaction Score
Agree that he defines roles, defines expectations and lets them all know what they need to do to advance to the next role level. Very impressive.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
He went from packed houses for every Rhode Island game to this mismanagement of arenas. It does have a huge effect sometimes on energy and performance.

This is actually not true at all. They drew way less than us

Reaction Score
Only thing about Hurley is that he seems surprised about how UConn works. I don’t think I ever heard a word about the XL center before with Ollie but a game like tonight wasn’t gunna get more than 6,000 people and that shoulda been played at gampel. I’m hoping he changes some of the scheduled games the next few years. He went from packed houses for every Rhode Island game to this mismanagement of arenas. It does have a huge effect sometimes on energy and performance.
He knows how UConn works. He knows how the Prudential Center and Brendan Byrne Arena were home games for UConn in his younger days. He knows we own the Garden. He said as much earlier this year after beating Syracuse mentioning "how these kids deserved a Garden moment". No team like UConn has such moments. Hurley knows quite well that when he gets this program back to elite status, this fanbase will travel anywhere.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This absolutely should've been a Gampel game. Wtf is a 6pm game in Hartford the week before finals? Do they expect students to be able to make that?

I expect Hurley will be making some XL/Gampel scheduling changes, as well.

Reaction Score
This is actually not true at all. They drew way less than us
He knows how UConn works. He knows how the Prudential Center and Brendan Byrne Arena were home games for UConn in his younger days. He knows we own the Garden. He said as much earlier this year after beating Syracuse mentioning "how these kids deserved a Garden moment". No team like UConn has such moments. Hurley knows quite well that when he gets this program back to elite status, this fanbase will travel anywhere.
Alright I didn’t wanna argue about this. Of course he knew about the arena situation. But I don’t think he’s happy with it which was my point. And I’m sorry unless UConn is top ten in the country, the fans won’t travel to Hartford to watch Lafayette play a 6pm game on a Wednesday. And for the students to be an hour late Bc of busses? It’s a neutral site game. It’s mismanagement. Try selling a recruit on watching that game on ESPNU. When they panned out the arena was 65% empty. If I was a new coach I’d be upset. Now I’m just speculating but some articles came out backing my point up. It was pathetic watching it on tv today. Also SNY should’ve kept this game. We aren’t a crappy small time school that plays 6pm weekday games.

Reaction Score
Alright I didn’t wanna argue about this. Of course he knew about the arena situation. But I don’t think he’s happy with it which was my point. And I’m sorry unless UConn is top ten in the country, the fans won’t travel to Hartford to watch Lafayette play a 6pm game on a Wednesday. And for the students to be an hour late Bc of busses? It’s a neutral site game. It’s mismanagement. Try selling a recruit on watching that game on ESPNU. When they panned out the arena was 65% empty. If I was a new coach I’d be upset. Now I’m just speculating but some articles came out backing my point up. It was pathetic watching it on tv today. Also SNY should’ve kept this game. We aren’t a crappy small time school that plays 6pm weekday games.
Last point. 6,000 seats looks a lot more full at Gampel then it does at XL. You make the players stay at hotels overnight there. You have to have a 2 hour shoot around just to get used to ur own “home” floor. It’s insane. Of course nothing will change but I’m hoping he minimizes these sorts of games at XL coming up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

20181203mfpittsports03-2-1543889972.jpg

Reaction Score
Last point. 6,000 seats looks a lot more full at Gampel then it does at XL. You make the players stay at hotels overnight there. You have to have a 2 hour shoot around just to get used to ur own “home” floor. It’s insane. Of course nothing will change but I’m hoping he minimizes these sorts of games at XL coming up.

The days of Lafayette at XL need to end. Things have changed. I used to go see this game in December at XL 20 years ago. Still sucks, way less fans. Kill it off along with most of the similar games.

Reaction Score
The days of Lafayette at XL need to end. Things have changed. I used to go see this game in December at XL 20 years ago. Still sucks, way less fans. Kill it off along with most of the similar games.
I agree. I don’t know how the formula will work. Fans will be upset if a major game isn’t played at gampel but it might be worth the sacrifice having major games at XL. That crowd Sunday was incredible. That was a HOME COURT. But this is just pathetic. I feel bad for the players having to go through all that trouble to play in front of empty crowds. I’d be so happy to just be gampel only. Of course it won’t happen. It’s just embarrassing to watch XL games. You can see how crappy the arena is and on top of that it’s empty. Hurley will probably make a stink about it which is what needs to be done. He already has

Reaction Score

Nonsense. Every team has to play these games. If the crowd sucks blame the fan base.

Reaction Score
His energy is contagious can be felt all throughout an arena, let alone his team. At the Arizona game, he turned to the crowd and started motioning everybody to get loud and stand up after Polley hit those big threes. The XL was the loudest it's been in probably the last two years. Like others have said, he understands what UConn once was and wants to bring that same feeling back to the program. He's yelling at guys the entire game, but mostly rooting for them and making them play harder. I know it's cliche, but he's beginning to bring back the culture and atmosphere of UConn basketball by leading by example. Amazing turnaround compared to the product and atmosphere just as recently as 8 months ago. I'm extremely glad that Danny is at the helm and is creating buzz for a program that needs it.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Every team has to play these games. If the crowd sucks blame the fan base.
I think the caliber of team such as Lafayette playing at XL so often needs to change. I’m all for playing in a big arena like Villanova does but it becomes a neutral court when a 6,000 crowd is there. Those type of games should be played at Gampel. You’d probably get 5,500 or so but it’s louder and better optics. Need to do a better job of splitting these games.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Villanova made a sea change about 10 years ago (2006ish) and backed way off the number of games they play at the Wachovia Center. Part of that was that it made it easier to host NCAAs and play there back when you could do that if you only played fewer than 4 or 5 games in the building.

Now that Villanova is back in elite company and that there's no minimum you can keep the dates under to game the system, did Villanova go back to playing more games in the big arena, knowing they could fill it? Maximize the ticket sales and watch the cash flow in?

Nope.

They realized they got a great advantage playing at a smaller, twice-renovated, on-campus facility. Its a more intimidating atmosphere, the students like it more and so do the players.

Be more like Villanova. Well, except for the part where you name a renovated building after a murderer. Don't do that.

Reaction Score
Villanova made a sea change about 10 years ago (2006ish) and backed way off the number of games they play at the Wachovia Center. Part of that was that it made it easier to host NCAAs and play there back when you could do that if you only played fewer than 4 or 5 games in the building.

Now that Villanova is back in elite company and that there's no minimum you can keep the dates under to game the system, did Villanova go back to playing more games in the big arena, knowing they could fill it? Maximize the ticket sales and watch the cash flow in?

Nope.

They realized they got a great advantage playing at a smaller, renovated, on-campus facility. Its a more intimidating atmosphere, the students like it more and so do the players.

Be more like Villanova. Well, except for the part where you name a renovated building after a murderer. Don't do that.
Yeah but Nova isn’t tasked with revitalizing a whole city like UConn is. Right? ;)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yeah but Nova isn’t tasked with revitalizing a whole city like UConn is. Right? ;)

I mean, it was the only good team in the city for a few years there.

Also: Philadelphia construction costs vs Eastern Connecticut construction costs but lmao people really talk about how expensive it is to build here, ok, sure

Reaction Score
I mean, it was the only good team in the city for a few years there.

Also: Philadelphia construction costs vs Eastern Connecticut construction costs but lmao people really talk about how expensive it is to build here, ok, sure
That’s true. I just don’t think it’s talked about enough how stupid XL is. I know boneyard people will get heated about it but casual fans don’t seem to care. It needs to get under control. You can’t split half ur home games at a neutral court. Just makes no sense. Never has never will. Lost cause

Reaction Score
XL may be outdated but part of program tradition. Players seem to consider it a home court. XL could use some new seating like Prudential but would they fit? First row of the corners in the mid tier seats actually suck at Pru with wall providing an obstructed view. Few rows up is a great view. As long as people don't kick the seats. I thought Newark was being gentrified?

Reaction Score
XL may be outdated but part of program tradition. Players seem to consider it a home court. XL could use some new seating like Prudential but would they fit? First row of the corners in the mid tier seats actually suck at Pru with wall providing an obstructed view. Few rows up is a great view. As long as people don't kick the seats. I thought Newark was being gentrified?
It is a tradition but XL center 20 years ago is not what it is now. It’s a crappy arena. It’s a hockey arena. The shooting depth perception thing isn’t exactly crazy. I’m all for them staying there if major renovations get made. But I gotta imagine Hurley advocates for less games there. Also I don’t know if you do but i don’t see CT allocating major money (200+ mil ) for the renovations it needs. Prudential seating would be incredible. I’d personally prefer they do something like that in Gampel I just don’t know how they would. Didn’t wanna make this an arena thread but it’s an issue for sure. Read that article and Hurley’s comments.

Reaction Score
It is a tradition but XL center 20 years ago is not what it is now. It’s a crappy arena. It’s a hockey arena. The shooting depth perception thing isn’t exactly crazy. I’m all for them staying there if major renovations get made. But I gotta imagine Hurley advocates for less games there. Also I don’t know if you do but i don’t see CT allocating major money (200+ mil ) for the renovations it needs. Prudential seating would be incredible. I’d personally prefer they do something like that in Gampel I just don’t know how they would. Didn’t wanna make this an arena thread but it’s an issue for sure. Read that article and Hurley’s comments.
Houston went from maybe 2 people going to there games to a potentially crazy home court advantage. Things like this matter for teams performance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom