Hurley/Calhoun Comparisons... | The Boneyard

Hurley/Calhoun Comparisons...

Reaction Score
Well ... Calhoun wouldn't stay a minute more than he had to at URI and that league. Hurley gets production: he's gone.

Reaction Score
Well ... Calhoun wouldn't stay a minute more than he had to at URI and that league. Hurley gets production: he's gone.

I agree. It will be interesting to see what coaches are on the hot seat after next season. The possible landing spots ect...

Production is the operative word. Can RI really break through? Big year to prove himself for DH. We shall see.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think both Hurleys will be big time coaches. I like em both.

Knew it was coming, but was hurt when he left UB for Arizona State. Can't blame him, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I think both Hurleys will be big time coaches. I like em both.

Knew it was coming, but was hurt when he left UB for Arizona State. Can't blame him, that's for sure.

I think the production of Cyril Langevine will ultimately be the deciding factor as it relates to RI's dreams of an E8 type run. If heathy I could see him averaging 10 rebs a game. He has great natural instincts as a rebounder.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If UConn were to find itself in a situation where it needed to find a new coach, Dan Hurley would probably be my number once choice.

Unfortunately, 40-50% of ACC/B1G fans would say the same.

Reaction Score
I think he might be a little overrated. Great recruiter, but he's yet to sell me in other areas.

In his defense, Rhody has been decimated by injuries the last couple seasons more than just about anybody in the country, and he had them playing very, very good basketball in March (one of the forgotten games of the tournament is URI-Oregon - the Rams had that one sealed away in the second half a couple of times and just could not hang on. It's more than conceivable, had they won that game, that they would have played a little longer. This wasn't some Cinderella trying to play spoiler, this was a squad that straight outplayed a loaded Oregon team despite their best player having the worst game of his career.).

The A-10 conference is maybe the biggest victim of recent conference realignment that we don't talk about (the Big East and AAC took a lot of their teams), and he's an underwhelming 35-19 in conference play over the last three seasons. He's a lot like Calhoun in that he is a hell of a program builder. Time will tell whether he's in that stratosphere as a coach.

Reaction Score
Hurley will definitely be looking to move up, but coaches in positions like Hurley, McDermott, or Greg Marshall are no longer willing to jump for garbage P5 jobs. Better to stay at Dayton, or VCU, until a really big time job opens up, rather than take a job at a Minnesota, or Clemson. Archie Miller played it perfectly. He could be sitting at a Rutgers had he been itchy to take the first P5 job that opened up.

Reaction Score
I think he might be a little overrated. Great recruiter, but he's yet to sell me in other areas.

In his defense, Rhody has been decimated by injuries the last couple seasons more than just about anybody in the country, and he had them playing very, very good basketball in March (one of the forgotten games of the tournament is URI-Oregon - the Rams had that one sealed away in the second half a couple of times and just could not hang on. It's more than conceivable, had they won that game, that they would have played a little longer. This wasn't some Cinderella trying to play spoiler, this was a squad that straight outplayed a loaded Oregon team despite their best player having the worst game of his career.).

The A-10 conference is maybe the biggest victim of recent conference realignment that we don't talk about (the Big East and AAC took a lot of their teams), and he's an underwhelming 35-19 in conference play over the last three seasons. He's a lot like Calhoun in that he is a hell of a program builder. Time will tell whether he's in that stratosphere as a coach.

I agree. Martin didn't score vs Oregon and was a non factor. Langevine had 9 boards in his absence I think. It will be fun watching Langevine develop this year at the 5 under Hurley.

Reaction Score
Everybody is always so quick to say Hurley is leaving URI. He had a significant offer's and or looks from Rutgers in 14', St John's 15', and Rutgers again in 16' and turned those all down. Being from New Jersey, those two local programs and Seton Hall is what initiated worried URI fans the most. However, after turning those offers down year after year, the consensus is that he is at URI as long as they keep developing & funding their program the right way until a significant position opens in a power 5 conference. At this point, nobody see's him leaving for another non-power 5 conference or even a non-perianal winner in a power 5 conference. He is waiting for the right opportunity and it will come around.

Reaction Score
Everybody is always so quick to say Hurley is leaving URI. He had a significant offer's and or looks from Rutgers in 14', St John's 15', and Rutgers again in 16' and turned those all down. Being from New Jersey, those two local programs and Seton Hall is what initiated worried URI fans the most. However, after turning those offers down year after year, the consensus is that he is at URI as long as they keep developing & funding their program the right way until a significant position opens in a power 5 conference. At this point, nobody see's him leaving for another non-power 5 conference or even a non-perianal winner in a power 5 conference. He is waiting for the right opportunity and it will come around.

My subject heading post relating to Hurley was to give some perspective on where he stands now as a prospective coach outside the A-10. The conclusion I draw is this year will go a very long way in determining his value. Until you make it to the second weekend of the tournament (especially for Hurley at this stage) you run the risk of being all show and no substance.

If a betting man I would bet RI makes the S16 this year and Hurley becomes a hot commodity in the offseason. The NCAA tournament for teams outside the Power 5 is the best way to determine true value.

With all of KO's fault's and I will put myself on the record as saying I KNOW there are plenty...he still navigated the toughest tourney in the world to a National Champuonship. Regardless of how that was accomplished it will be on his resume for a lifetime. A failure to make the tournament this year coupled with a failure to produce a very solid 2018 class regardless of circumstance should cause the administration to make some tough decisions. Either way I think KO would land on his feet and eventually 3 or 4 years down the line garner a head coaching job in the NBA.

What are your thoughts on RI this year? Is Berry gonna produce off the bench? How good can RI be?

Last edited:
Reactions: pj

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

While you may not be wrong, Seton Hall/St John's/Rutgers aren't much to sniff at. What if he gets an offer from somebody like an OSU, UVA, Cuse level team? And the associated money that comes with contracts from these schools. I'm guessing the former three didn't exactly offer the bank.

Reaction Score
My subject heading post relating to Hurley was to give some perspective on where he stands now as a prospective coach outside the A-10. The conclusion I draw is this year will go a very long way in determining his value. Until you make it to the second weekend of the tournament (especially for Hurley at this stage) you run the risk of being all show and no substance.

If a betting man I would bet RI makes the S16 this year and Hurley becomes a hot commodity in the offseason. The NCAA tournament for teams outside the Power 5 is the best way to determine true value.

With all of KO's fault's and I will put myself on the record as saying I KNOW there are plenty...he still navigated the toughest tourney in the world to a National Champuonship. Regardless of how that was accomplished it will be on his resume for a lifetime. A failure to make the tournament this year coupled with a failure to produce a very solid 2018 class regardless of circumstance should cause the administration to make some tough decisions. Either way I think KO would land on his feet and eventually 3 or 4 years down the line garner a head coaching job in the NBA.

What are your thoughts on RI this year? Is Berry gonna produce off the bench? How good can RI be?

If we fire KO (entirely plausible with a bad season and a bad recruiting class for which we've already seen poor results), he'll be on the bench as an NBA assistant coach in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
If we fire KO (entirely plausible with a bad season and a bad recruiting class for which we've already seen poor results), he'll be on the bench as an NBA assistant coach in a heartbeat.
And that very well may be the best place for him. I think he would be an exceptional NBA assistant.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I leave this place for 3 months and the "Fire KO" theme song is still on full blast.

Is it November?

Reaction Score
I leave this place for 3 months and the "Fire KO" theme song is still on full blast.

Is it November?

You can always point to the chosen few and they won't be happy until they go 16-14 again he gets axed. Then the next poor guy will be 3-4 years behind and we will never get it back. But hey they think they're the smart ones!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom