Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the great recruiting news yesterday I was actually thinking to myself this had gone away and we were on a great bath with the dam breaking, or at least no one cared anymore. Guess I was wrong.

So the guy who couldn't let go of how much money Calhoun made wants to pay out millions to a coach that no longer even works at the school? The school's issue is money and his loopy proposal still has UConn shelling out $10M (even if it doesn't all go into Ollie's pocket). I think that's a non-starter. The weirdest part to me might be this line: "If he did break the rules, manufactured as the violations might be.". What? If he broke the rules, he broke the rules. The only way the violations could be "manufactured" would be if they were false allegations.

He also conveniently focuses on what Ollie did for the school but completely omits how much the school has done for him. He refers to Ollie as having been a "slave", having "toiled" for the school with little to no recompense. I guess the millions he made in the NBA courtesy of his development at UConn under Calhoun doesn't count? And he did also get paid a fair bit as an assistant and head coach. He was given a high paying job by the school of which a reasonable person could argue he was not yet deserving.

WingU-Conn

Apologista 2.0
Completely unhinged. The article starts out well enough but then takes a pretty bizarre turn.
He goes out of his way to give Ollie virtually all of the credit for building up UConn, argues Ollie did nothing wrong, and then pretends like he didn't make any money playing in the NBA for over a decade, or coaching UConn. Yes it's an Op-Ed, but he clearly has no integrity.

WingU-Conn

Apologista 2.0
So the guy who couldn't let go of how much money Calhoun made wants to pay out millions to a coach that no longer even works at the school? The school's issue is money and his loopy proposal still has UConn shelling out $10M (even if it doesn't all go into Ollie's pocket). I think that's a non-starter. The weirdest part to me might be this line: "If he did break the rules, manufactured as the violations might be.". What? If he broke the rules, he broke the rules. The only way the violations could be "manufactured" would be if they were false allegations.

He also conveniently focuses on what Ollie did for the school but completely omits how much the school has done for him. He refers to Ollie as having been a "slave", having "toiled" for the school with little to no recompense. I guess the millions he made in the NBA courtesy of his development at UConn under Calhoun doesn't count? And he did also get paid a fair bit as an assistant and head coach. He was given a high paying job by the school of which a reasonable person could argue he was not yet deserving.
The guy doesn't even mention Ollie's 13 years in the NBA. Never mind how much Ollie made in the NBA, he says Ollie left UConn with nothing but a degree and a minor-league contract. I supposed he volunteered for all those NBA teams.

Curious if Ken has any idea what kind of school $5 Million will build. Proposals for new schools in Farmington and Cheshire were both at costs of $150 Million+ . . .

I think this line from the article is even funnier:
“Ollie’s last deep run through the brackets provided Calhoun the cred to land recruits Hamilton freeman and voskuhl, who wud win Calhoun his first national title in 99” . What? Ya ok.

I think this line from the article is even funnier:
“Ollie’s last deep run through the brackets provided Calhoun the cred to land recruits Hamilton freeman and voskuhl, who wud win Calhoun his first national title in 99” . What? Ya ok.
Ray Allen, Doron Sheffer, Donny Marshall, Travis Knight, Kirk King, Brian Fair, Eric Hayward, and Rudy Johnson might want to take a bit of credit too.

Ollie's last year they finished 28-5, ranked 8th, losing in Elite Eight. The next year, with freshman Ricky Moore replacing senior Ollie, they finished 32-3 and ranked 3rd (though disappointing Sweet Sixteen loss to Miss State after Ricky's injury). Ricky did not play in that game - Ricky was key for that team, and if he'd stayed healthy they might have brought Calhoun his first championship game, a showdown in the final with Kentucky (Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Mark Pope, Anthony Epps, Wayne Turney -- good team, but we might have taken them).

In this fan's eyes, Ricky was a better point guard than Ollie, but his injuries brought him down. Ollie's size and injury-free career helped him survive in the NBA. I wish Ricky had gotten better luck, he was one of my favorite all-time players. UConn should give any settlement money from Ollie's firing to Ricky, who got a raw deal in the fallout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.