HUGS FOR HURLEY | The Boneyard

HUGS FOR HURLEY

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley Coaching Wagner at LIU, which was 3 blocks away from where I live in Brooklyn. Bobby is sitting on the bench as his assistant. I had a flask of whisky and was just enjoying watching the show. I was seriously thinking of him as an option in the future for us, from what I watched that night..
Image 4-3-23 at 6.45 PM.JPG

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley just turned 50 back in January and in his 5th season at UConn he has won a national championship

Jim Calhoun turned 50 in May 1992. It would be another SEVEN years before he won his first championship. Considering that Dan Hurley now pilots THE top program in college basketball over the last 25 years, there is no reason (IMO) he would ever leave, unless he decided to retire. Calhoun would go on to coach UConn for another 20 years and win 3 championships.

What does the future at UConn hold under Dan Hurley ???

Reaction Score
The crowd had a loud "Hurley" chant running at the end of the game tonight. If you told me 25 years ago that UConn fans would be chanting the name "Hurley" in a non-deragatory way in a National Championship game, I would never have believed it. And would have punched you in the throat for such heresy.

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley Coaching Wagner at LIU, which was 3 blocks away from where I live in Brooklyn. Bobby is sitting on the bench as his assistant. I had a flask of whisky and was just enjoying watching the show. I was seriously thinking of him as an option in the future for us, from what I watched that night.. View attachment 86723
For anyone who hasn't seen this clip yet:

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley just turned 50 back in January and in his 5th season at UConn he has won a national championship

Jim Calhoun turned 50 in May 1992. It would be another SEVEN years before he won his first championship. Considering that Dan Hurley now pilots THE top program in college basketball over the last 25 years, there is no reason (IMO) he would ever leave, unless he decided to retire. Calhoun would go on to coach UConn for another 20 years and win 3 championships.

What does the future at UConn hold under Dan Hurley ???

NIL is a very good pragmatic reason why any coach in his 60's would not wish to become a serious bagman, kissing teenagers' A__'s for a living. Especially after winning it all as Hurley has now done.

Many past coaching legends have already left the profession for that very reason. Without clear regulations & limits on NIL payments to players, college basketball - under NIL - can only get worse (more professional & run by unscrupulous, unregulated agents & greedy relatives). The exploitive colleges actually need the kids to be their greatest PR assets. So they bring in the moneymen to pay to play & the outrageous salaries of these coaches that makes them the highest paid employee in their states.

And with fewer kids in NIL even going to class at all or graduating with real knowledge or meaningful degrees ( c'mon. sociology, black studies & communications are the weaker programs where they hide exceptional athletes these days) it leaves players vulnerable after college - or when their knees give out.

NIL further diminishes the value of a meaningful bachelor's degree to players & their families. They've gotta know that only 1% of college players earn their way to one of the mere 450 jobs available in the NBA. How can NIL - era coaches preach going to class when NIL provides such a disincentive to do so? This change from amateur to professional will have many fall through the cracks, including coaches.

I really enjoyed watching UConn win it all again today, over the course of this year. And it happens that a lucky, collection of new hired hand, NIL players via the transfer portal made this one of the deepest College teams of all time (like Wooden's legendary 60's-70's teams). With NIL, some years it will work for coaches, but many combinations with not work together not leading to UConn's lucky success this year. It's a very unstable job being a coach when more money is always the anwser. By nature, it encourages cheating.

One thing is certain, with NIL & its money straight-jacket, the smaller mid-major coaches won't have much of a chance in the new game at all.

This year, two years into NIL, & after struggling with how to maximize the best combinations of these new players, Danny Hurley & his staff crafted a great team of deep talent mid-season that had an answer to every question - one that annihilated the NCAAT field like a buzz saw. Congratulations Huskies!

But after considering what an unregulated NIL environment will do to coaches, couldn't you see why few would NOT pursue the profession into their 60's?

Father Demo

Reaction Score
That clip is priceless, Luke on the bench covering his face in laughter? They should play that clip for the 3 of them together! Wow!

Reaction Score
Happy to eat my words about Hurley - I'll enjoy doing so with a fine chianti...
I knew we had the horses and he let them play! Great job! (But, then a damn shame what happened on campus. Can we have nice things?)

Reaction Score
The crowd had a loud "Hurley" chant running at the end of the game tonight. If you told me 25 years ago that UConn fans would be chanting the name "Hurley" in a non-deragatory way in a National Championship game, I would never have believed it. And would have punched you in the throat for such heresy.
Like many others, I owe him an apology. I had my doubts about him over past two years and voiced my criticism. I apologize as he has worked wonders this year and restored hoops greatness to the State of CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom