Huge Huge Win | The Boneyard

Huge Huge Win

Reaction Score
Took 114 years and it was sweet. This is momentous for the program. Now, with that said, there is serious work to do on the O side of the ball. We can’t get expect the D to pull rabbits out of the hat. Charlton, again, was largely lost and aimless most of the game.

1. Why they weren’t running Burns is inexplicable. Rosa was not good today, missing holes, running horizontally, and the playing calling to run against the edge was stupid.

2. ZT is very slow and not shifty. The QB option after the first series was not cutting it.

3. The number of false starts and illegal procedures put us behind the chains constantly and was an offensive drive killer. This is simply sloppy, poor preparation by Charlton.

Reaction Score
Took 114 years and it was sweet. This is momentous for the program. Now, with that said, there is serious work to do on the O side of the ball. We can’t get expect the D to pull rabbits out of the hat. Charlton, again, was largely lost and aimless most of the game.

1. Why they weren’t running Burns is inexplicable. Rosa was not good today, missing holes, running horizontally, and the playing calling to run against the edge was stupid.

2. ZT is very slow and not shifty. The QB option after the first series was not cutting it.

3. The number of false starts and illegal procedures put us behind the chains constantly and was an offensive drive killer. This is simply sloppy, poor preparation by Charlton.

Enjoyable nonetheless.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Charlton's pretty careful about picking his spots. I think he'll show more when he has a few more arrows in the quiver. Two turnovers would probably have been enough to lose today. Zero was worth a 10-point win. Offense successfully didn't lose it.

Reaction Score
Charlton's pretty careful about picking his spots. I think he'll show more when he has a few more arrows in the quiver. Two turnovers would probably have been enough to lose today. Zero was worth a 10-point win. Offense successfully didn't lose it.
I understand the caution, but the play selection was pretty poor. We had 5 TOs (3picks, 2 fumbles). That’s extraordinary D production that just can’t sustain and cover for Charlton’s crappy offensive management week over week. Today was nearly a carbon copy of Ball State, except the D was on fire and held. If they can get the O functioning well, we just might go bowling. Any way you cut it, Mora has put this program on a path, and it’s exciting to see.

Reaction Score
People kept complaining around me during game and I get it. The false start penalties were mind numbing. I just kept saying “people its 10-3. Last year the score would be 40-3”. Walked out with the biggest smile when I remembered we now have a 2 game home winning streak

Reaction Score
I think you nailed it! Charlton was quite obviously trying to make sure the O didn’t turn the ball over. He was conservative and repetitious with his play calling, not bc he doesn’t have any creative plays to call, but bc he didn’t want TOs to counter the great work of the D! It was frustrating at times, but understandable given the score.

That said, the O line needs to get things together, that’s just inexcusable. I think it would be more on the O line coach and not the OC. Even saw Charlton talking to him at one point on the sidelines and he responded with a shoulder shrug.

Reaction Score
Offense did a little more today than 2nd half vs Ball State and it mattered tremendously. We might get a first down or two, and while it didn't result it points, it also let the defense get some rest. Avoiding constant three-and-outs at least lets defense catch their breath. Which meant the defense didn't collapse when we needed them the most.

Baby steps.

Reaction Score
I think you nailed it! Charlton was quite obviously trying to make sure the O didn’t turn the ball over. He was conservative and repetitious with his play calling, not bc he doesn’t have any creative plays to call, but bc he didn’t want TOs to counter the great work of the D! It was frustrating at times, but understandable given the score.

That said, the O line needs to get things together, that’s just inexcusable. I think it would be more on the O line coach and not the OC. Even saw Charlton talking to him at one point on the sidelines and he responded with a shoulder shrug.
Those penalties were not the OLs problem. It was all the receivers. They are clearly being coached on their shifts and motions in a manner that the refs don’t think is legal. But the penalties were not OL flinching, which is what you normally see.

Reaction Score
You have to remember, we don’t have our better skill players. With Carter, Brewton, Houston, Ross etc., the play calling would be different and the results on the same calls being made today would be better. I never thought we’d beat BC with all of these injuries. We aren’t seeing bad coaching, we are seeing great coaching.

Reaction Score
First off, I'm on cloud 9 with this win and couldn't be happier for the team. But I'll bet we set a program record for false starts today. It should have been 21-0 at the end of the 1st quarter if it weren't for the false starts, dropped passes and a botched snap near the goal line. We need more of a north/south run game using Burns who seems to run angry. The wide stuff with Rosa isnt very effective, And ZT needs be able to deliver the ball to a running back in the backfield. Lots of room, for improvement on the offensive side. Somehow 13 points waenough to win today but I think we'll need more than 13 to beat Mass next Friday. Like I said, I couldnt be more thrilled with this win today, but the offense continues to be a cocern. D was great all day today.

Reaction Score
Those penalties were not the OLs problem. It was all the receivers. They are clearly being coached on their shifts and motions in a manner that the refs don’t think is legal. But the penalties were not OL flinching, which is what you normally see.
Well there were two calls against Haynes, and he is certainly not a receiver. So maybe you’re suggesting that his movement was caused by a WR shifting or going in motion? The TEs who also got called, being part of the O line, are why I mentioned it as O Line. A few times it looked like they were lifting one foot, as if preparing to go in motion, but didn’t. I’m not sure of the rule nuances and what they were attempting, but obviously there were violations that need to be cleaned up.

If it was part of a motion or shift strategy, it probably should have been shut down earlier as the penalties mounted. Hopefully we hear more about it in the days ahead.

Reaction Score
But at least two of the false starts were on Haynes.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes it was.
Stan Lee Marvel GIF

Reaction Score

I’d rather win ugly than lose pretty.

16 of the players on our offensive two deep are frosh and sophomores.

What are your questions?

Reaction Score
Haynes had two false starts and two were by other offensive linemen. I think there we a couple of others by TEs and one on a WR.

Reaction Score
Haynes had two false starts and two were by other offensive linemen. I think there we a couple of others by TEs and one on a WR.
I posted in another thread that I heard Mora on the post game talk about the BCU players were doing something with the cadence and they had to talk to the refs about it.

Reaction Score
I’d rather win ugly than lose pretty.

16 of the players on our offensive two deep are frosh and sophomores.

What are your questions?
I think moving beyond “they are young guys” to there are distinct areas for improvement is fair game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom