HS girls basketball--where has the game gone? | The Boneyard

HS girls basketball--where has the game gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
interesting story... nice to see the shot clock mentioned

Reaction Score
Interesting article.
Does not answer the question - why so few girls make it to UCONN and fewer still beyond the UCONN bench?

One coach asked - why no Maya Moore in Connecticutt. I could not understand her answer at all.

If CA can produce a DT or a KLM, why cannot CT?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Interesting article.
Does not answer the question - why so few girls make it to UCONN and fewer still beyond the UCONN bench?

One coach asked - why no Maya Moore in Connecticutt. I could not understand her answer at all.

If CA can produce a DT or a KLM, why cannot CT?

dont you think thats up to Geno... shot clock or no shot clock he can sign up 12-15 CT players if he wished.

Im confused with your point... are you talking about "talent" or just on the "state's team"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting - not a great article but interesting.
People complain that Uconn doesn't take enough local talent, but if you look around, it isn't as if other good teams are fielding many CT players either - at the moment, the only CT players at BCS schools that I can think of are Heather and Stevens at St. Johns. For a 4 year period, that is not very impressive - next year Stevens graduates, and Holmes replaces her on the list. I'm sure I am missing a few, but ...
And if you look at Geno's recruiting for 2013 - they are seriously looking at 6 players. He doesn't have that number of schollies, and he may end up with a lot fewer actual signees, but ... if he was carrying a few end of bench CT kids would we be happy that we lost out on a couple of these kids because he didn't have the room?

Reaction Score
... If CA can produce a DT or a KLM, why cannot CT?
C'mon - California has 10 times Connecticut's population. THAT's the main reason so few stars come from the Nutmeg State. More generally, Connecticut has about 1 % of the entire US population, so out of every 100 All-Americans, only 1 should be expected to hail from Connecticut, on average.

Nobody seems to recall that UConn had an All-American from Bloomfield, Connecticut. Remember her?

Reaction Score
The CT town I live in has a population of 20,000, one High School, and 19 sports teams for girls: Basketball, cross country, Field Hockey, soccer, swimming/diving, gymnastics, ice hockey, indoor track, volleyball, skiing, squash, wrestling, golf, lacrosse, outdoor track, sailing, softball, cheerleading, tennis. Lots of girls go out for Field Hockey, x-country, volleyball, track, soccer, lacrosse. The boys even have a rugby team. This dilutes the potential pool for BB. Do schools in other parts of the country have this many options for sports?

I believe less competition for a scholarship in the "less popular" sports is a key factor. Another thing I notice in CT is that sports in general is not that popular relatively speaking. Uconn Bball is big, but compared with other states, the number of people walking around with sports related clothing on is lower. Sports in general are not discussed as much as elsewhere. I've noticed this while travelPeople inAnyone else notice this? Perhaps there's just too many things to do being a state near NY City

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
C'mon - California has 10 times Connecticut's population. THAT's the main reason so few stars come from the Nutmeg State. More generally, Connecticut has about 1 % of the entire US population, so out of every 100 All-Americans, only 1 should be expected to hail from Connecticut, on average.

Nobody seems to recall that UConn had an All-American from Bloomfield, Connecticut. Remember her?
So ... with first second and third team AAs and honorable mentions and two different AA teams, what do we expect - somewhere between 15 and 20 college AA mentions each year and with the HS All Star games something like 25 HS kids each year. Based on population #s one would expect a CT college AA every 5-7 years and a HS all star every 4 years - besides this year I can't remeber the last CT HS girl getting selected to one of the two games (Heather wasn't was she?), and I can't think of a college AA since the one from Bloomfield.

Reaction Score
Sales, Domond & Rita were in one graduating class. Haven't seen one CT girl since then that was as good.

Reaction Score
interesting story... nice to see the shot clock mentioned

I've gone to a ton of CT girls games over the years and I doubt that more than 1% of the possessions would be any different with a shot clock. Virtually none before the last few minutes of a game. I can't believe that not having a H.S. shot clock has even the slightest effect on player development.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've gone to a ton of CT girls games over the years and I doubt that more than 1% of the possessions would be any different with a shot clock. Virtually none before the last few minutes of a game. I can't believe that not having a H.S. shot clock has even the slightest effect on player development.
Not having a shot clock has an affect on the way teams play defense and offense - so looking at a game and saying none of the offensive sets took more than 30 seconds anyway is not really definitive - just like in college WBB not having a ten second back court makes a full court press less effective so fewer teams use it or play it as intensely.

Reaction Score
I agree ... I dont see many teams that take alot of time off the clock ... Too many parents yelling 'shoot'!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure why people are amazed at this. CT is not a basketball state. Never has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom