How would you categorize our roster into Ball-handlers/Wings/Swings/Bigs | The Boneyard

How would you categorize our roster into Ball-handlers/Wings/Swings/Bigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of Celtics fans are familiar with Brad Stevens philosophy of breaking down the roster to 4 categories: Ball-handlers, Wings, Swings, and Bigs. From my understanding they're broken down as follows:

Ball-handlers: PGs

Wings: Shooters that can play SG or a perimeter oriented SF

Swings: Guys that can defend SFs and PFs

Bigs: PFs and Cs

Obviously not everyone fits perfectly into these categories, but if you were going to break our team down this way - how would you do it?

Here is my attempt:

Ball-handlers: Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital

Wings: Rodney Purvis, Terry Larrier, Vance Jackson

Swings: Mamdou Diarra?

Bigs: Amida Brimah, Steve Enoch, Kentan Facey, Juwan Durham

I think Justin Jackson is definitely a swing, so getting him would be huge.

Reaction Score
The good thing about next seasons roster is that, depending on who is on the court, guys can take on different roles:

Ball Handlers: Agree with your assessment

Wings: Rique and Vital can both shoot as well as handle and adams has a solid mid range and developing deep game, so they could be considered wings in a smaller lineup although they would be undersized in certain defensive situations. Purvis, Larrier and Vance could be considered as wings

Swings: Mamadou is a banger so he is the quintessential big IMO. Purvis is a good defender although he may be considered undersized to defend prototypical sf's. But I would say he, vance and larrier could be put into this category as well.

Bigs: Agree with your assessment, but would add Mamadou.

Reaction Score
Ball-handlers: Gilbert, Adams, Vital
Wings: Purvis
Swings: Larrier, Jackson
Bigs: Brimah, Enoch, Facey, Durham, Diarra

I think a good lineup is 2 ball-handlers, a wing, a swing, and a big.

The problem with our current roster construction is that too many of those guys are true bigs that can't also play on the perimeter and risk clogging the lane.

Our offense was best with a DD or Roscoe type at the 4, both of those guys were threats from the perimeter (DD moreso). Of the guys listed as "bigs", Durham is closest to being able to play the DD role, and who knows what kind of player he'll be after 2 ACL surgeries.

Jackson (Justin) would give us another swing option and flexibility to go with Larrier or Jackson (Vance) at the 3 as well.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't think Vital will be the ball handler people want him to be, he is more of a shooter in my eyes. Whenever a guy his size in HS gets the "combo guard" label that usually means he has PG size without the handles needed to be a full time point.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I don't think Vital will be the ball handler people want him to be, he is more of a shooter in my eyes. Whenever a guy his size in HS gets the "combo guard" label that usually means he has PG size without the handles needed to be a full time point.
Or that he shoots so well, you don't want him to pass.

Reaction Score
I would probaby slide Diarra to the Bigs category and Jackson to the Swing, probably Larrier as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom