How will UConn women's basketball offense look without Paige Bueckers? 'New little wrinkles' | The Boneyard

How will UConn women's basketball offense look without Paige Bueckers? 'New little wrinkles'

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

"The 2022-23 season that was supposed to be the year for a program that last won a national title in 2016. With Bueckers teaming with a healthy Azzi Fudd for a lethal backcourt leading a deep, talented roster, the NCAA title drought could seemingly end."

"We can still do a lot of things we did when we have Paige," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "That doesn’t have to change. It worked pretty well last year, you know,"

"Auriemma said. "You may not be able to be as free-flowing, let everybody play off of Paige, so you might have to be more intentional with some things that you’re trying to do. "That’s not necessarily the way I like to play."

"The danger that you run into when you do these things is somebody’s out there trying to be Paige and that’s just gonna screw up the whole operation," Auriemma said. "So, we can’t let that happen."

"Ducharme, whose size can create mismatches, has the fearlessness to drive to the basket through defenders, scoring from outside and inside."

"With Auriemma, the "style" always reflects the ability of the players."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm not making any predictions for THIS year. I will make one for next year when we are at FULL STRENGTH. With Paige and Ice back along with our crop of new freshmen that should be able to make an impact right away, this team will be (IMO) more formidable than they have in the last 4 years. Better than THIS undermanned team is. It won't hurt that Aliyah Boston (South Carolina) will been gone to the WNBA next year. You don't lose your best player and team leader like UConn did and it not affect the team. Paige was a bucket and on most nights, a double double.

Reaction Score
In ‘23-24, we will have Paige back as well as the best recruiting class in WBB history, with Ice, KK, Q, and Ashlynn. This is a group that will dominate behind Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Ayanna, Nika. We will be strong, quick, savvy and deadly from the perimeter. And who knows what Inês will bring to the table then?!

Reaction Score
In ‘23-24, we will have Paige back as well as the best recruiting class in WBB history, with Ice, KK, Q, and Ashlynn. This is a group that will dominate behind Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Ayanna, Nika. We will be strong, quick, savvy and deadly from the perimeter. And who knows what Inês will bring to the table then?!
I know you like to throw some hyperbole around but I'll take Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson in 2012-13 just for recentness. But if we go back to 1998-99, Cash, Williams, Jones, and Bird might be the best. Do better man. ;)

Reaction Score
I know you like to throw some hyperbole around but I'll take Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson in 2012-13 just for recentness. But if we go back to 1998-99, Cash, Williams, Jones, and Bird might be the best. Do better man. ;)
Don’t forget there’s at least a decent chance ElAlfy might be added to that group.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget there’s at least a decent chance ElAlfy might be added to that group.
Gonna take a lot more than that to even come close to the best class in WBB history. And don't forget, Brady isn't even a part of the '23 class. He just mixed her in to pretty it up. :oops:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gonna take a lot more than that to even come close to the best class in WBB history. And don't forget, Brady isn't even a part of the '23 class. He just mixed her in to pretty it up. :oops:
I'm very excited about THIS year. But I'm even more jazzed about our prospects for next year. I really don't like to look ahead that far, especially when we've yet to play our first regular season game yet. Paige and Ice going down for the year before the season even started, took a lot of the wind and enthusiasm out of my sails. :(

Reaction Score
I'm very excited about THIS year. But I'm even more jazzed about our prospects for next year. I really don't like to look ahead that far, especially when we've yet to play our first regular season game yet. Paige and Ice going down for the year before the season even started, took a lot of the wind and enthusiasm out of my sails. :(
But you're a seer. Maybe you can't help yourself? :)

Reaction Score
Next year should be great, no doubt- but, UConn is still a really strong team this year too, even with their injuries. A couple of games may be losses as the team learns to gel, but it's only SCarolina that really took it to us last year. Boy do I wish that we had Paige and Ice to play this year, but with the shooting of Azzi, Caroline, Lou, Aaliyah, and Dorka, we can beat anyone. Add the energy and defense of Nika, Aubrey and Ayanna, even the biggest strength that SCarolina displayed (their rebounding) is not a given anymore.

Reaction Score
UConn, obviously will miss the magic PB brings to the team, and sadly makes them less likely to go all the way.

Reaction Score
Obviously, the team and we the fans miss Paige out there on the court. She brings so much to the table and helps the team in so many ways. Next year, praying that everyone stays healthy and happy, this team could be LETHAL! With so many offensive & defensive options, again if the players stay hungry & motivated and work on their game over the summer, it is mind blowing what levels this team could reach.

Reaction Score
The great accomplishment would be if we win it all this year without Paige — it’s not impossible — and then win it again next year with Paige. I can even imagine Paige and Azzi winning two together. What a legacy Paige and Azzi and Geno would have created for the program! This is my crazy dream.

I will weep with every set back along the way and scream with every success. But this is the prize I have my eyes on.

How will we win it all this year, you ask. I picture it like this: a hard fought battle between the two best teams in the NC game, and in the final seconds the championship is decided by a thunderous dunk from you know who. Azzi Caroline and Lou will rain down 3s to keep us in it, and then little Ayanna will finish it. Maybe her first shot is blocked, but she grabs the rebound and goes up again with total determination.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The great accomplishment would be if we win it all this year without Paige — it’s not impossible — and then win it again next year with Paige. I can even imagine Paige and Azzi winning two together. What a legacy Paige and Azzi and Geno would have created for the program! This is my crazy dream.

I will weep with every set back along the way and scream with every success. But this is the prize I have my eyes on.

How will we win it all this year, you ask. I picture it like this: a hard fought battle between the two best teams in the NC game, and in the final seconds the championship is decided by a thunderous dunk from you know who. Azzi Caroline and Lou will rain down 3s to keep us in it, and then little Ayanna will finish it. Maybe her first shot is blocked, but she grabs the rebound and goes up again with total determination.
Ahh, you should collaborate with that PAhusky guy (AKA known to me as the Captain) on a screen play.

Reaction Score
Sometimes when you try and look too far into the future, you miss that which is right in front of you. :cool:
Right again. the future is looking great,but lets concentrate on this years team. We have the fire power and the defense to go all the way. If we win our first 10 games that will convince every one that we are for real. As for SC, once we get the season to prove we are for real. they will be just another win for us. As I always say. I think positive and we will be NO.1 by tournament time. When we do this, it will be time to talk about 4 NC's in a row like we did once before. GO HUSKIES!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"The 2022-23 season that was supposed to be the year for a program that last won a national title in 2016. With Bueckers teaming with a healthy Azzi Fudd for a lethal backcourt leading a deep, talented roster, the NCAA title drought could seemingly end."

"We can still do a lot of things we did when we have Paige," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "That doesn’t have to change. It worked pretty well last year, you know,"

"Auriemma said. "You may not be able to be as free-flowing, let everybody play off of Paige, so you might have to be more intentional with some things that you’re trying to do. "That’s not necessarily the way I like to play."

"The danger that you run into when you do these things is somebody’s out there trying to be Paige and that’s just gonna screw up the whole operation," Auriemma said. "So, we can’t let that happen."

"Ducharme, whose size can create mismatches, has the fearlessness to drive to the basket through defenders, scoring from outside and inside."

"With Auriemma, the "style" always reflects the ability of the players."
Geno's "may not be able to be as free-flowing" crystalizes my greatest fear about the loss of Paige this season. When she's out there she goes were she wants and really twists the defense up, letting team mates get where they want. She reminds me in that way of Bobby Orr of the Bruins. Catch me if you can ...score!

Reaction Score
LOL!! without PB UConn will look as Bone Dog mentioned "hard work no drama". Lots of mentions about how next year the team will look like. Lots of things will happen between now and next year. I remember just this summer how great the team will be with PB and Azzi leading the team and how they will be crowned as the best backcourt in the country. Comparison to SB and DT were made. Then injuries happened.

Reaction Score
Folks seem to be laboring under a false dichotomy now that Geno mentioned one-on-one play. This isn't the antithesis of a crisp passing game. It's what that game can open up if you let it.

Paige would have thrived on a drama-free team, one in which each player just focuses on her game -- crisp passing, taking it to the rim whenever the opportunity arises. We didn't have that for either of her first two years -- lots of drama and self-doubt up and down the roster, except for Paige. How many times did Mama E have to step in and calm them down?

The Steph-Stewie teams were crisp passers who took it to the rim whenever they could. This is the kind of team Azzi will build. It may take her two seasons and Paige's return to complete it, but she's on her way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom