How will the UCONN transfers fare next season? | The Boneyard

How will the UCONN transfers fare next season?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am genuinely curious as to how Courtney Ekmark (ASU), Sadie Edwards (USC), and Dejanae Boykin (PSU), and Natalie Butler (GM) will do at their respective schools.

Edwards has played 2 years for USC - averaging more minutes and PPG in her first year than in her second, but still averaging over 9 PPG in year 2. Seems like a really solid player for them.

Boykin sat out much of last year with an injury but managed to play 6 games scoring 4.7 PPG in just over 17 MPG.

Ekmark did not play last year so this will be her first season with her new team.

We all know what Butler did at UCONN. I sort of expect her to take the A10 by storm...

Personally, I hope all 4 have great seasons. I hope they all have good memories of their time at UCONN...

Side note, if your opinion is along the lines of "they are no longer at UCONN so I don't care", then feel free to skip the thread and not read any of it. I do think most UCONN fans are at least somewhat curious as to how our former players are/will be doing, but I am NOT trying to stir anything up...

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm looking for Natalie to have a big year for the Patriots.

I'm with you, Ed. She gave every bit of energy and skill she had for her Huskies team. She didn't really "transfer," what she did is called "graduation." Some talk of Nat as if she quit on her team. She didn't. She chose to move on in order to chase another degree.

I don't know if it's still true, but when I graduated with my B.A., the conventional wisdom (?) was to choose a different school for each degree. It was thought that this practice built a stronger resume.

Reaction Score
Natalie will be an 18/9 player in her new league and will benefit greatly from a new found confidence and playing a lot of minutes with a continuity of practice minutes and game minutes with, for the most part, the same contingent of teammates during the games.I don't really see Courtney,or Sadie setting the world on fire much beyond what we know they have done in the past,but i haven't seen enough of D'Janae as a healthy athlete to have an opinion.A normal progression from when she was number one in her h.s. class would have her as a major contributor at the d-1 level,but injuries can curtail that progression. However, if healthy she just might be the surprise of this foursome.She certainly has the most potential of this group.

Reaction Score
ErickLA I think there would be very few By'ers who wouldn't be interested in how the transfers do. Even the ones that only had a brief time with the Husky's. I think Natalie and Courtney will have a significant impact with their new teams after their time practicing and playing under Geno and the Uconn coaching staff.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I will continue to follow Sadie Edwards and De'Janae Boykin, and this year I will add Courtney Ekmark and Natalie Butler. I hope and pray all 4 have a successful and injured free year.

Once a Husky, always a Husky.

Reaction Score
I will continue to follow Sadie Edwards and De'Janae Boykin, and this year I will add Courtney Ekmark and Natalie Butler. I hope and pray all 4 have a successful and injured free year.

Once a Husky, always a Husky.
Don't know about that. Boykin went to a few classes and then was out of here. She was a Husky a little longer than EDD was. Sadie same thing. Sorry, but I can't root for what are essentially strangers. Just because you sign a LOI and show up on campus for a few classes doesn't make you a Husky IMO.

Reaction Score
Natalie will be an 18/9 player in her new league and will benefit greatly from a new found confidence and playing a lot of minutes with a continuity of practice minutes and game minutes with, for the most part, the same contingent of teammates during the games.I don't really see Courtney,or Sadie setting the world on fire much beyond what we know they have done in the past,but i haven't seen enough of D'Janae as a healthy athlete to have an opinion.A normal progression from when she was number one in her h.s. class would have her as a major contributor at the d-1 level,but injuries can curtail that progression. However, if healthy she just might be the surprise of this foursome.She certainly has the most potential of this group.
Project Butler as first team in her league. If the bad thumb and resulting bad hands had never taken place, Natalie likely would have been a much more solid UConn player. As if was, she filled some vital roles in key games. Given more confidence, a stronger body, and her experience playing against the best in nation, no reason to think she won't thrive in new environment. Could surprise and end up having strong pro career.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Don't know about that. Boykin went to a few classes and then was out of here. She was a Husky a little longer than EDD was. Sadie same thing. Sorry, but I can't root for what are essentially strangers. Just because you sign a LOI and show up on campus for a few classes doesn't make you a Husky IMO.

De'Janae Boykin was dealing with an injury, before having academic problems and Sadie Edwards did play in a couple of games before leaving.

Reaction Score
Project Butler as first team in her league. If the bad thumb and resulting bad hands had never taken place, Natalie likely would have been a much more solid UConn player. As if was, she filled some vital roles in key games. Given more confidence, a stronger body, and her experience playing against the best in nation, no reason to think she won't thrive in new environment. Could surprise and end up having strong pro career.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nat left because the program of study she wanted was no longer offered at UConn. My guess is that she would have stayed if it had been available. Mason is a decent school and very, very close to home. Her work ethic and improved skills should allow her to be one of the best players in her new conference.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

EDD dropped 37 on Seattle last night.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Courtney Ekmark. She seems like a solid kid with unrealized talent. It's sad to say, but she wasn't likely to get much playing time. For some reason, quite possibly the result of her sitting out her senior season of high school, she simply wasn't ready for college ball as a freshman. I hope she blossoms in Arizona. It doesn't work out for everyone at UConn, and that's not always a bad thing.

I am also rooting for Boykin. the poor kid has had some bad breaks, including injuries.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

The thumb for sure a major factor coming when it did. She had/has great "soft" hands for basketball, but you can have "soft" hands that are strong in protecting the ball, and that was a perpetual deficiency in Natalie's game. Sometimes it's leverage and surprise and sometimes its a battle akin to arm wrestling underneath the basket. Natalie's technique in defending the ball, particluarly on the offensive end, was deficient and to me never changed. Not quick enough, too nice. But I am in "the Natalie camp" and wish her all the best and want he to explode onto the patriot's scene and enjoy a pro career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom