How to set a screen, by Big Mama Stef | The Boneyard

How to set a screen, by Big Mama Stef

Reaction Score
Good screen and rescreen by Dolson. It is incredible how many players (men + women) have no idea how to set a good stationary screen.
? The first screen was solid, and was clean with minimal movement. The second screen Dolson was moving her feet sideways like she was playing defense after she screens. That's a moving screen lol. Not that it was that severe, but I wouldn't call Dolson stationary.

Reaction Score
? The first screen was solid, and was clean with minimal movement. The second screen Dolson was moving her feet sideways like she was playing defense after she screens. That's a moving screen lol. Not that it was that severe, but I wouldn't call Dolson stationary.

you are right, I missed the quick step by Dolson on the rescreen. . . . like I said good screening is a lost art

Reaction Score
The horrible refs in WBB especially in the WNBA have NO clue what is and isn't a legal screen!
Over the weekend in one of the WNBA games the refs called 6 illegal screens missing the other 20 illegal screens that were as bad if not worse than the 6 they did call!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Good screen and rescreen by Dolson. It is incredible how many players (men + women) have no idea how to set a good stationary screen.

It’s freaking baffling.

And frustrating to watch.

Then again, most people watch the nba and they set illegal ones likes crazy

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
On the replay of the second screen, you see Arike try to buy a call with a flop. She doesn't get it and tries to shove past Stef and then Stef successfully counter-flops for the call. That's good old-fashioned veteran know-how!

(I think it was a legit foul on Arike but Stef gave it little extra to get the call.)

I think Stef is one of the more underappreciated players in the league. She's not one of the elite centers or anything but she does everything for Chicago.

In addition to doing all the dirty work of low-post defense, rebounding, and setting screens, she's also shooting 53.2% overall, 39.5% from 3, and is a perfect 18-18 on free throws this year.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. It looked to me that any foot movement on the second screen was the result of Arike's contact (Stef being pushed, or pretending to be pushed) rather than movement that preceded the screen. I think it was a correct no-call.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. It looked to me that any foot movement on the second screen was the result of Arike's contact (Stef being pushed, or pretending to be pushed) rather than movement that preceded the screen. I think it was a correct no-call.
a "moving" screen is not necessarily illegal contact. there is nothing wrong with either screen Stef set.

personally I think AO is lucky she didn't get called a flagrant because she purposely pushed her way thru Stef (Stef properly kept her arms down with hands clasped in front) AND AO pushed her own arms up thru Stef's body to her face. AO's contact was purposeful and meant to inflict harm. She made no attempt to get around the screen. She initiated contact and continued it thru the play and then immediately began her play acting.

Reaction Score
Glad you found it - I’m laughing all over again now!
one thing I just noticed .... this happened in front of the Dallas bench. There are zero reactions from the bench ..... absolutely nada. I wonder how well liked AO is with her own teammates.

Reaction Score
And few players seem to understand how to use a screen. Its up to the player off the ball to know how to run her player into the screen.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
And few players seem to understand how to use a screen. Its up to the player off the ball to know how to run her player into the screen.

In this case, the ballhandler was Allie Quigley who has practically built her career on the successful usage of screens (on-ball and off-ball).

Reaction Score
I must say, Arike has a brilliant future in roller derby or WWE if the basketball thing doesn't work out.

And with MM as her manager she’d most likely be a huge success

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom