OT: How to protect Xmas Tree from year old puppies (2) | The Boneyard

OT: How to protect Xmas Tree from year old puppies (2)

Reaction Score
I have 2 lab puppies who turned 1 in October. My old dog didn’t seem to have an issue with the tree - I don’t recall having an issue after a day or two. But there was one of him. There are two of these and while they are trainable, one seems to get the other wound up and all the training goes out the window. Housebreaking took twice as long. Needless to say, I see a Xmas tree being an unfortunate victim here.

I already have an artificial tree (which is recommended). Any other ideas other than let it go entirely? I would except my teen daughter and I collect ornaments on every trip we take, so Christmas is very sentimental for us. We also collect these carolers. I probably won’t be putting them out at all (they are heirloom quality and really expensive). We’ve thought about only decorating upstairs (where the dogs don’t go), but that’s sort of pointless).

Reaction Score
keep them out of the room - baby gates work well.
These are 2 90lb dogs - short of the kind that bolt into the walls, I don’t see them working. Or are there industrial strength baby gates?

Reaction Score
@Fishy, they are cute and I love them... but they are little (big) menaces. I wanted to have 2 so they would have each other.
Playing man-to-man with puppies is bad. You need zone. They have teeth and tails that knock things over. They’re cute, too. So it’s hard to make them stop doing what they’re doing.
Getting two puppies was the dumbest, cutest thing I’ve ever done.

Reaction Score
I like dogs but honestly this brings up an issue which I think needs some light. What to do about relatives that bring their dogs to your house? This Thanksgiving my daughter brought a small dog she was watching for someone else that peed on my leather couch. (His name was Poppy- just kidding) We got it quick so no damage. Then my sister who recently lost her husband brought her little dog who went upstairs and peed on my new carpet, it was witnessed and cleaned up by my son right away. You want to be diplomatic and nice to people but frankly I don’t want my stuff wizzed on by anyone human or canine. Do I say your dog either doesn’t come or is leashed or child gated on a restricted area? People get defensive about their pets.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do I say your dog either doesn’t come or is leashed or child gated on a restricted area?
Yes, this is exactly what you say. I had to say this to my mother-in-law (ok, I made my wife tell her, but the message was sent...).

Reaction Score
These are 2 90lb dogs - short of the kind that bolt into the walls, I don’t see them working. Or are there industrial strength baby gates?
There are "industrial strength" dog gates. We used it to keep the golden retriever puppy away form the Xmas tree.

Reaction Score
Can't you just train them to act appropriately? Dog do anything for food. You train them. You give them food. They do what you want them to do. It's a matter of investing the time.

Answers like industrial strength gates and artificial trees say "I'm too lazy to train my dog".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
@Fishy, they are cute and I love them... but they are little (big) menaces. I wanted to have 2 so they would have each other.
Playing man-to-man with puppies is bad. You need zone. They have teeth and tails that knock things over. They’re cute, too. So it’s hard to make them stop doing what they’re doing.
Getting two puppies was the dumbest, cutest thing I’ve ever done.

This house has been determined to be an unsafe space for animals.

Reaction Score
Can't you just train them to act appropriately? Dog do anything for food. You train them. You give them food. They do what you want them to do. It's a matter of investing the time.

Answers like industrial strength gates and artificial trees say "I'm too lazy to train my dog".
CAN you train them ? Sure. In the next couple weeks ? Doubtful.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The dogs are a year old. How long do you have to wait to train them?
Still pretty young for a lab puppy, even a properly handled one. Never mind two.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There was a family with 3 lab puppies in the class where I trained my dog. They literally slept through a couple classes.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I like dogs but honestly this brings up an issue which I think needs some light. What to do about relatives that bring their dogs to your house? This Thanksgiving my daughter brought a small dog she was watching for someone else that peed on my leather couch. (His name was Poppy- just kidding) We got it quick so no damage. Then my sister who recently lost her husband brought her little dog who went upstairs and peed on my new carpet, it was witnessed and cleaned up by my son right away. You want to be diplomatic and nice to people but frankly I don’t want my stuff wizzed on by anyone human or canine. Do I say your dog either doesn’t come or is leashed or child gated on a restricted area? People get defensive about their pets.
First, they certainly should have asked you if was okay to bring their dog. Second, if you have a dog that isn't housebroken, leaving it along for any period of time is a recipe for disaster. Those results were absolutely predictable.

Dogs, especially young ones, are like toddlers. If you bring them somewhere they need to be the focus of your attention.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dogs, especially young ones, are like toddlers. If you bring them somewhere they need to be the focus of your attention.
Or just give them Benadryl.

Reaction Score
The dogs are a year old. How long do you have to wait to train them?
I didn't mean it in the context of their age. I meant in the context of when you'll have a Xmas tree in place. Not sure you can send a dog to obedience school for a week and stop them from being lunatics around the tree. Definitely depends on the school, too. We had a dog when I was a teenager. My mother / brother took him to obedience classes and he was the star pupil. When you brought him home, he completely ignored every bit of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom