How to Improve the Offense | The Boneyard

How to Improve the Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
After listening to HCBD say the offensive line did well against BYU but the running backs have had their problems in pass protection, I was thinking about personnel and scheme to help Shireffs and the line out. I look forward to other people's opinions.

1. Why not go to Jazz Clax in the backfield? As a fullback, he might be a better blocker than Newsome, DiLorenzo, Johnson, et al. He might not be a pass catcher, but the protection could be better. Also, he could pave the way on some run plays.

2. Keeping a tight end on the line to block or line up as an H back. I know our young TE's aren't the best blockers in the run game, but if it is blocking from the backfield, they might be able to open holes in the run game.

3. Shotgun and quick release plays - more bubble screens and swing passes out of the backfield. TE throws 7 yards down field. Screen plays. All designed to get the ball out fast, slow down the rush and then set up deeper throws later in the game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Everything you mention, but especially number 3... Use a short/quick passing game as a substitute for running (though I do think Newsome is improving).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would like to see more chip blocking from the tight ends before releasing down the field.

I like the idea of another big back or tight end in the backfield leading the way for Newsome or Johnson.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would like to see more chip blocking from the tight ends before releasing down the field.

I like the idea of another big back or tight end in the backfield leading the way for Newsome or Johnson.

No. A 1000 times no on chip block and go. Too many times the TE or FB whiffs and it leads to a sack.

I mentioned earlier of using Max as FB on passing downs. Utilize him as the QB's bodyguard. Once Max sees all rushing defenders are accounted for he flares out to the flat. I especially think Max and Newsome are a good pair on passing downs. Use Newsome as an immediate option in the flat to slow down at least one rusher and then Max can release after all defenders are accounted for to the side opposite of Newsome.

Johnson's hands are below average and he is having trouble with pass blocking. Part of the dilemma for him running this year is teams crash the box because they know it's a run play with him.

Pairing Max and Johnson could be interesting.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
No. A 1000 times no on chip block and go. Too many times the TE or FB whiffs and it leads to a sack.

I mentioned earlier of using Max as FB on passing downs. Utilize him as the QB's bodyguard. Once Max sees all rushing defenders are accounted for he flares out to the flat. I especially think Max and Newsome are a good pair on passing downs. Use Newsome as an immediate option in the flat to slow down at least one rusher and then Max can release after all defenders are accounted for to the side opposite of Newsome.

Johnson's hands are below average and he is having trouble with pass blocking. Part of the dilemma for him running this year is teams crash the box because they know it's a run play with him.

Pairing Max and Johnson could be interesting.

They haven't had any success thus far. Both have had trouble reading the defense and also whiffing on blocks and in DiLorenzo's case- running the wrong route(see navy 4th down). Why not try Clax or a Tight End in the backfield?

Reaction Score
I like what the Giants did on Sunday. Instead of having the back block, he runs by the rusher and the QB throws him the ball. Then he just has one guy to beat, usually a LB, for a big play.

Do that a couple of times and it will slow down the rush.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A few other thoughts.

Mix up more shotgun formations prior to the 5:00 Mark of the 4th quarter. Sure the other team knows it's a pass but UConn actually has some play makers who have to be accounted for by the defense.

Also, especially on 3rd down, abandon slow developing plays. Slow plays require all players to execute for an extended period of time and allows delayed blitzes to be effective. Maintaining blocks and identifying rushers is UConn's weak spot.

Go for fast plays that mask mistakes and prevents extra rushers from breaking through on stunts.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Little bit of a pet peeve now that I've seen it a few times... But please stop the draw play on 1st or 2nd and long.

Reaction Score
I have a pretty bold and drastic take on the offense.

Go to a 1 TE and 1 RB set. Getting 3 WR's running patterns. Need to design route concepts that play to strengths of the personnel.

Put Shirreffs in the shotgun more often (almost always) and run both the run and pass game out of this formation.

Run more zone reads.

Roll the pocket more often.

Reaction Score
The point of a chip block is not to be responsible for blocking someone 1:1, but to help the OT with a quick DE. Even if they whiff, the sack is not on the TE.

Clax must've done something wrong or is banged up as I have rarely seen him. They bring in a true freshman DE to block when needed (Parker).

And while I don't what BS to get killed, let's teach him pocket presence in the offseason. If option 1 or 2 on a pass play aint open, and open quickly and you see/feel rush, think run. I've noticed more of a desire to stay in the pocket and give his WRs time to get open. With our OL, that will result in a sack more often than not. Oh, and when you do run, look for the sidelines or a place to slide.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think Clax would help Newsome. Newsome reminds me of Jordan Todman - similar body style (read: small) but ran behind a much better OL and had Anthony Sherman lead blocking for him. Sherman is now one of the NFL's best FBs...even though it seems to be a dying position. If Clax can do similar things for Newsome in lead blocking that Sherman did for Todman, then see ya.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Whatever they were running at the end of the Missouri game before the infamous fake FG. I know at that point the D might have been in more of a prevent. But Shirreffs and the team looked very comfortable (and effective) in that offense.

Reaction Score
How to fix offense

Step one hire tj weist back and make him offensive coordinator

Reaction Score
I have a pretty bold and drastic take on the offense.

Go to a 1 TE and 1 RB set. Getting 3 WR's running patterns. Need to design route concepts that play to strengths of the personnel.

Put Shirreffs in the shotgun more often (almost always) and run both the run and pass game out of this formation.

Run more zone reads.

Roll the pocket more often.

I'm with you, especially on #1. If we're keeping 7 guys back to block and still taking sacks, only having 3 guys (2 receivers and a TE) running routes against 5 or 6 defenders is not a recipe for success.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Whatever they were running at the end of the Missouri game before the infamous fake FG. I know at that point the D might have been in more of a prevent. But Shirreffs and the team looked very comfortable (and effective) in that offense.

Empty set, 5 wide I think. We do have solid 1-3 WR depth. Thomas is certainly a go-to guy and Beals is emerging as a very effective #2 guy.

Dooley

Reaction Score
How to fix offense

Step one hire tj weist back and make him offensive coordinator

Or how about we wipe Casey Cochran's concussion history clean and put him back at QB?

Reaction Score
After listening to HCBD say the offensive line did well against BYU but the running backs have had their problems in pass protection, I was thinking about personnel and scheme to help Shireffs and the line out. I look forward to other people's opinions.

1. Why not go to Jazz Clax in the backfield? As a fullback, he might be a better blocker than Newsome, DiLorenzo, Johnson, et al. He might not be a pass catcher, but the protection could be better. Also, he could pave the way on some run plays.

2. Keeping a tight end on the line to block or line up as an H back. I know our young TE's aren't the best blockers in the run game, but if it is blocking from the backfield, they might be able to open holes in the run game.

3. Shotgun and quick release plays - more bubble screens and swing passes out of the backfield. TE throws 7 yards down field. Screen plays. All designed to get the ball out fast, slow down the rush and then set up deeper throws later in the game.
Joe D and Gresh did a preview show a couple days before the season started. On that show one of the guests mentioned the they were really struggling in the preseason with the shot gun snaps. I don't know if this has been corrected or not, but t his may be a reason the shot gun formation use has been minimal.

Reaction Score
I do think we need more spread sets, just to pull LBs away from the line. Look at our own #2 against most O's we will face going forward, and see how out of place he looks from the second the O breaks the huddle. And hard to bring more than 5 when we send 5 out, esp w/a mobile QB.

I know the staff is trying to get us to the point where we are in the game in Q4 by slowing the O down, but look how more effective we are when the team steps up its tempo. With our D, and depth at D, we should be able to sustain quicker possessions on O

Reaction Score
I definitely agree on #3. If we are under center, less play action passes on long yardage downs. I couldn't believe they called two in a row on 2nd & 19 (which resulted in a sack) and 3rd & 26 in the BYU game.

Reaction Score
Well, unless Frank and Bob are reading this thread and taking notes, we'll have to wait till Saturday to see the nuanced changes in our O. One thing I know. There is an absolute commitment by the team to excel in all phases on Saturday. I expect a superlative effort and the commensurate result.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We need to use Johnson on first down. Give the other team a sense of confidence that no matter how deep they play their safeties they can beat him to the hole and then slip in Todman and two thirds of the marching band. This should confuse them long enough for Diaco to order an on side kick on second down.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We need to use Johnson on first down. Give the other team a sense of confidence that no matter how deep they play their safeties they can beat him to the hole and then slip in Todman and two thirds of the marching band. This should confuse them long enough for Diaco to order an on side kick on second down.
If we slip in Todman we'll confuse quite a few people. We also may get a letter from the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom