How to Fix XL vs Gampel | The Boneyard

How to Fix XL vs Gampel

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
After last nights “sell out” at Gampel there were a lot of comments on how every game or more games should be played at Gampel. No matter how strongly you agree or disagree it won’t change the fact that the state has made it clear they want games played in Hartford. But there is a change that this athletic department needs to make when it comes to scheduling. The way they distribute the XL and Gampel games seem idiotic. This season there are 9 at each, so with 18 home games the schedule (9 of them being conference op) should look like this:

Nov.

8- Morehead State- Gampel

11- UMKC- Gampel

20- Cornell - XL ( students gone for thanksgiving break)

4- UNH- XL (no students)

27- Umass Lowell- Gampel

Dec.

2- Arizona- XL

5-Lafayette- XL

15- Manhattan- XL

18- Drexel- XL

Jan.

5- UCF- XL

10-SMU- XL

19-Tulane- XL

26- Wichita- Gampel

Feb

2-ECU- Gampel

14-Houston- Gampel

24-Cinci- Gampel

Mar.

3- USF- Gampel

7- Temple Gampel

This still has 9 games at each, but behind logical reasoning for the best possible home-court advantage. There is absolutely zero reason to play games at Gampel when students are on break which they did twice this year. This change also has 6 of 9 conference games at Gampel which allows the last 6 home games to be played at Gampel.

Last night showed that if you give students a Saturday game on campus they will show up big, and I’m sure it would be similar on weekdays as well. With Uconn being 7-0 so far at Gampel the athletic department should use logic and play games like yesterday at Gampel toward the final third of the season. Instead, they don’t play at Gampel again till… march..

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Last night showed that if you give students a Saturday game on campus they will show up big, and I’m sure it would be similar on weekdays as well. With Uconn being 7-0 so far at Gampel the athletic department should use logic and play games like yesterday at Gampel toward the final third of the season. Instead, they don’t play at Gampel again till… march..

Don't disagree with the overall point about scheduling winter break games at XL, but the AD was advertising there were 300 tickets remaining for the Saturday night game against Wichita State. That's embarrassing, especially if you were a student back when you had to wait in line at ungodly hours for the opportunity to purchase season tickets.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with the overall point about scheduling winter break games at XL, but the AD was advertising there were 300 tickets remaining for the Saturday night game against Wichita State. That's embarrassing, especially if you were a student back when you had to wait in line at ungodly hours for the opportunity to purchase season tickets.

When were you there? Even in 2004 you could get season tickets the next day.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score

on Stub Hub they were 35 yesterday, bought my Arizona XL ticket this year for 7 bucks day before

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

In Fall 2006 you had to get in line at like 5am one Saturday in the fall and they started distributing bracelets for season tickets later in the day.

Reaction Score
The problem with Gampel is that for lesser known teams you will only rake in 6-7k... not much money. Student energy will also be lower. But as for Cincinnati, why restrict it to only 10k when it could bring you 13-14k at the XL

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
In Fall 2006 you had to get in line at like 5am one Saturday in the fall and they started distributing bracelets for season tickets later in the day.

In fall 2006, which is also when I was there, they were 2 years removed from a national title and were preseason #1.

They've been bad for two years preceding this one. If that was the case in fall 2006, the exact same thing would have happened.

Reaction Score
There should be no games at Gampel between finals and when the spring semester starts. The students are gone and it makes no sense to do this. The same for Thanksgiving weekend. We used to play games on Saturday night back in Big East days and it lined up with peoples lives. Done with work, looking to a night out. Maybe the Wolfpack box us out from this but it should be looked into.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There should be no games at Gampel between finals and when the spring semester starts. The students are gone and it makes no sense to do this. The same for Thanksgiving weekend. We used to play games on Saturday night back in Big East days and it lined up with peoples lives. Done with work, looking to a night out. Maybe the Wolfpack box us out from this but it should be looked into.
UConn Hockey games are typically Tuesday Friday and Saturday.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In fall 2006, which is also when I was there, they were 2 years removed from a national title and were preseason #1.

They've been bad for two years preceding this one. If that was the case in fall 2006, the exact same thing would have happened.

Tough to compare due to the conference. Even in 2006/2007 when they were bad it was worth going to see the Big East teams.

My bone to pick is everyone who complains about XL due to not having a better student section, when the students didn't even sell out their Gampel season allotment, which would have been unheard of a few years ago.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't bother with the OP. The template should start with weekday games in Hartford, weekend games in Gampel and adjust from there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tough to compare due to the conference. Even in 2006/2007 when they were bad it was worth going to see the Big East teams.

My bone to pick is everyone who complains about XL due to not having a better student section, when the students didn't even sell out their Gampel season allotment, which would have been unheard of a few years ago.
I agree but things will change (I hope!)

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Even if you flip flopped the Cincy XL game (To sell more than 10k tickets) and the Lafayette game (Students are still on campus on Dec 2nd) It would still make more sense to do it @bill6319 's way

zls44

Reaction Score

*speaks into megaphone turned to 11*

THAT'S BECAUSE THE TEAM HAS BEEN BAD AND THIS DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF THEY WERE THIS BAD A FEW YEARS AGO.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
*speaks into megaphone turned to 11*

THAT'S BECAUSE THE TEAM HAS BEEN BAD AND THIS DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF THEY WERE THIS BAD A FEW YEARS AGO.

My main point is that people can't complain about not catering to the students, when they can't even be bothered to get to a home game at Gampel on a Saturday evening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We read so much about UConn budget deficit, but the dirty little secret is that the XL games are way to subsidize the XL Center. If the state legislature wants us to play there so bad, let them pick up the tab for those games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We read so much about UConn budget deficit, but the dirty little secret is that the XL games are way to subsidize the XL Center. If the state legislature wants us to play there so bad, let them pick up the tab for those games.

Yeah UConn should totally play that angle. Just demand it and see what happens.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah UConn should totally play that angle. Just demand it and see what happens.
Never said that they should. I agree that you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Do you agree that UConn games allow the XL to report less of a loss? It's the State of Connecticut paying the State of Connecticut it's a net nothing, essentially moving some of the XL's loss to the Athletic Department's P/L statement.

zls44

Reaction Score
My main point is that people can't complain about not catering to the students, when they can't even be bothered to get to a home game at Gampel on a Saturday evening.

There was ONE other Gampel game on a Saturday night this year. It was against a horrendous Manhattan team.

If you're mad they didn't turn out for that game, well, buddy,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Never said that they should. I agree that you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Do you agree that UConn games allow the XL to report less of a loss? It's the State of Connecticut paying the State of Connecticut it's a net nothing, essentially moving some of the XL's loss to the Athletic Department's P/L statement.

Someone read the Courant! Watch out!

(btw they are lost - I’d probably recommend not being a Courant parrot - they couldn’t afford Jacobs lol)

CL82

Reaction Score
Someone read the Courant! Watch out!

(btw they are lost - I’d probably recommend not being a Courant parrot - they couldn’t afford Jacobs lol)
Non answer duly noted.

Sigh. So predictable.

Reaction Score

Yup... In 1999 I camped out and it was fun but unnecessary. From 2000-2002, I decided to sleep in my warm bed and just go the next day, walk freely to the ticket desk and get my tix. No lines, no sell outs, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom