OT: How To Cook A 27 Pound Turkey? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How To Cook A 27 Pound Turkey?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whelp.... Yes , I cooked a 26 lb one last year and usually am around there every year.

But I Spatchcock it and throw on my smoker. So its a little different. But I DO cook it at 325 on the smoker.

So to apply some of my trial and error on your question.

1) Forgo the 30 minute high heat. Throw it at 325 for the whole cook. A bird that large is more important to get even, and the constant temp will make that easier
2) baste it periodically
3) Use an instant read thermometer to measure the different parts of the bird, and rotate in oven accordingly, some parts of your oven (near burners) can cook a little hotter than others. use that to your advantage. (to get the Dark meat 5 degrees up from White)
4) dont listen to anyone on here about brining that bird. Look at the ingredients on it. Its most likely already pre-brined. (Check the ingredients label though to confirm that, I bet it mentions "8% solution" or something along those lines. If it does, forget the brine. If it doesnt then brine away)
Hmm, this seems to be contrary to annual anti-turkey diatribe. What's next how to make homemade ketchup?

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hmm, this seems to be contrary to annual anti-turkey diatribe. What's next how make homemade ketchup?

It’s for the family. I’m a sucker for helping my parents. The plus of doing it in the smoker is what else I throw on there for me.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s for the family. I’m a sucker for helping my parents. The plus of doing it in the smoker is what else I throw on there for me.
Well for old times sake, let me add:

"Shut up and eat the mojo sandwich!"
1542228909804.png

Reaction Score
I was told by the butcher at Lucky Goat in East Hampton that the key is to brine the bird for at least 24 hours and to keep the entire thing submerged the entire time.

This

Also get a fresh bird. Try Emeril’s citrus brine

Reaction Score
Whelp.... Yes , I cooked a 26 lb one last year and usually am around there every year.

But I Spatchcock it and throw on my smoker. So its a little different. But I DO cook it at 325 on the smoker.

So to apply some of my trial and error on your question.

1) Forgo the 30 minute high heat. Throw it at 325 for the whole cook. A bird that large is more important to get even, and the constant temp will make that easier
2) baste it periodically
3) Use an instant read thermometer to measure the different parts of the bird, and rotate in oven accordingly, some parts of your oven (near burners) can cook a little hotter than others. use that to your advantage. (to get the Dark meat 5 degrees up from White)
4) dont listen to anyone on here about brining that bird. Look at the ingredients on it. Its most likely already pre-brined. (Check the ingredients label though to confirm that, I bet it mentions "8% solution" or something along those lines. If it does, forget the brine. If it doesnt then brine away)

Spatchcocking is the right answer.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Read an article yesterday on-line (LA Times?) about how brining is no longer favored, just makes the flesh mushy and sometimes hammy if too much salt. Check the Serious Eats website for all your cooking needs.

Reaction Score
I always cook the turkey and this year at Price Chopper all they had were small birds and monsters so I got this 27 pound frozen Butterball. It looks like it could be saddled. My plan is to season it the day before and leave it in the fridge overnight then cook it at high heat 450 for 30 minutes and reduce to 325 leaving it uncovered with a thermometer in it,, but I never cooked one this big and the question is will it dry out? I have 21 people coming. 21 very hard to please and picky people. There is no "flipping a bird" this big. Anyone have experience with this size bird?
August has a few hundred branches left over for jerk turkey, hit him up.

Reaction Score
I would be very careful Brining a Butterball which most likely is already loaded with injected sodium.

But you know what? Its Turkey. Can you make it worse by way over salting it? Taste wise? Probably not. Just keep some blood pressure meds nearby.
You know you pig out on deli turkey and love it.

Reaction Score
Read an article yesterday on-line (LA Times?) about how brining is no longer favored, just makes the flesh mushy and sometimes hammy if too much salt. Check the Serious Eats website for all your cooking needs.

Serious Eats recommends a dry brine (like me, what a coincidence).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Well for old times sake, let me add:

"Shut up and eat the mojo sandwich!"
View attachment 36337

Notice where our program went after that debacle? We never made the tourney again and got saddled with 2 of the worst seasons in 1/2 a century BACK TO BACK.

Maybe its like the Mojo gods hate Turkey as much as I do? I dunno, Im just spitballin' here but it adds up to me.

And then you post that before the Cuse game?!

Reaction Score
Notice where our program went after that debacle? We never made the tourney again and got saddled with 2 of the worst seasons in 1/2 a century BACK TO BACK.

Maybe its like the Mojo gods hate Turkey as much as I do? I dunno, Im just spitballin' here but it adds up to me.

Chazz Sheen is here to make it all better
hqdefault (1).jpg

CL82

Reaction Score

I still attribute that season's mojo fizzle on your decision to eat artisinal grass fed organic turkey in various and various tomato based sauces instead of the mojo sandwich. The sentence was clear:
Before every game, Augie has to eat a turkey sandwich. With lots of ketchup. So much ketchup, it squirts out the sides and back of the sandwich and he feels like he’s drowning in it. And every time he posts, from now until the end of our season, someone needs to respond with “Shut up and eat the Mojo sandwich, commie!” Yup. It’s the victim you wanted with the punishment you wanted.

It was the execution that was lacking.

Reaction Score
Just saying that brining a pre injected frozen butterball does more harm than good. (and while saltiness is the main noticeable thing, it will make the texture different too, and not in a pleasing way). I like Jibsey (he possesses my favorite avatar) . Trying to save him some headaches.
Learned this last weekend. We got a new oven and wanted to do a test run before hosting Thanksgiving. Usually we get a fresh turkey. For this exercise I went with a butterball. We brined it like we normally do, and it was SALTY. I thought maybe it sat in the brine too long. Your post reminded me that the Butterballs are "enhanced".

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I always picture the Griswold Family Christmas Turkey jerky. The vision is so not worth the subpar flavor of an improperly prepared meal.

He's going to be in Albany (us in CT), but we typically know that dinner is about to be served when we hear the whirl of my Dad's electric carving knife from 1976. I may have to order one just for the occasion. It won't be the same, but close enough.
LOL, my dad also. When he started, everyone had to back away. He would put his glasses and go to work. The serving platter was an work of art.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL, my dad also. When he started, everyone had to back away. He would put his glasses and go to work. The serving platter was an work of art.
My wife loves that stupid thing. She leaves it out for me every year and every year I look at it with disdain and get my carving knife out.

I can't remember why but one year she decided to carve the turkey and used it. She ended up serving ground white meat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom