How to beat Duke | The Boneyard

How to beat Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duke has been the aggressor in EVERY game this season. The "first" sign of our own aggression was the press and trap I saw last night.

We press and trap Duke at times Thursday?
We go right into Amida who is much longer than k4 and go right at him?
We put enough ball pressure on them to make them uncomfortable?
We take good three's and if they are not there move the ball to the open man without TO's
Pound inside with a combination of drive--drive and kick drive and or move the ball into Facey Bridah Nolan to make plays.

The way to beat Duke is be the aggressor in the game.

Reaction Score
we just lost to yale and gave up 80 pts to coppin state ( I dont know wtf that state even is )
and you seriously think we can beat Duke?

I love Uconn but there is no chance of us beating duke.
we have no 1 that can rebound
brimah isn't strong enough to deal with duke down low
we turn the ball over like crazy
we shoot the 3 terribly
to even compete with duke, we need Brimah and Boat on the floor at all times.
as soon as either 1 goes to the bench it's gonna be a horror show.

Reaction Score
we just lost to yale and gave up 80 pts to coppin state ( I dont know wtf that state even is )

we shoot the 3 terribly

Who cares--they were freak losses undermanned. Im watching Duke have troubles with Elon. Ive seen Kentucky have its troubles. With a top tier PG one of the best C's in CBB a rising star in Hamilton--and if everyone else shows up to play--we have MORE than enough to beat Duke--Im convinced of that.

Reaction Score
I don't see it but I hope you're right.
I don't think it will even be a close game.
something like uconn 55 and duke 75

unless Boat and Brimah have monsterous games

Reaction Score
I like the point on initial aggression, but what happens after the first 4 minutes? Uconn has started games strong and then given up big runs by losing focus. This game has to be ugly for uconn to be in it.

Reaction Score
I like the point on initial aggression, but what happens after the first 4 minutes? Uconn has started games strong and then given up big runs by losing focus. This game has to be ugly for uconn to be in it.

Nope--we just have to be consistent. We have a senior PG who needs to lay down the law against the freshmen PG. This is a great chance for Boat to go against a "1st round pick". This gives a lot of Uconn players chances to step up. Texas has a VERY good team and we simply blew the game--gave it away. Anyone predicting a Uconn team being blown out this year will be wrong.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
limiting okafor will need to happen... everything runs through him, he touches the ball every play

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

we shoot the 3 terribly

http://liturgy.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/end-is-near.jpg

Keep doing you, buddy.

Reaction Score
limiting okafor will need to happen... everything runs through him, he touches the ball every play

Quick doubles with Amida or Nolan in back and a guard in front every time he turns with the ball.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

we shoot the 3 terribly
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Quick doubles with Amida or Nolan in back and a guard in front every time he turns with the ball.
yeah but this isn't last years team that knew and could recover to the three point shooters... not saying they cant do it but we haven't seen it yet

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn needs a rock fight. We need to keep the game in the low-60s.

If this game gets any sort of pace to it, Duke will blow us out. They're probably the best offensive team in the country right now and we're prone to giving up long runs.

Reaction Score
UConn needs a rock fight. We need to keep the game in the low-60s.

If this game gets any sort of pace to it, Duke will blow us out. They're probably the best offensive team in the country right now and we're prone to giving up long runs.
I agree, we're going to have to kick them in the teeth, maybe leave a couple on the floor. I figure that AB, Nolan and Facey get 12 fouls between them. A lot will depend on how tight the refs call it because if it's ticky tack it's over, but if they let them play.....

Reaction Score
If we had done better early I would say we had no chance. Since we did not do better early and all odds are against us I say we have a shot to beat them. If that makes no sense then you have not been watching Uconn for very long

Reaction Score
yeah but this isn't last years team that knew and could recover to the three point shooters... not saying they cant do it but we haven't seen it yet

I accept losing to West Virginia as they were the aggressors who caught us off guard. The two latter L's--while L's that should be W's. Does the team's fortunes look brighter at 6-1 with a win over Texas? Im not letting 2 freak losses change any perspective. Duke is still a young team that has not seen a team as quick as Uconn. We may have inconsistencies on offense--but our defense can keep us in any game. Now if guys like Purvis and Calhoun actually show up healthy and we play up we can beat Duke. This is not a juggernaut and we are better than many of our fans believe we are. I believe I know we can win.

Reaction Score
I accept losing to West Virginia as they were the aggressors who caught us off guard. The two latter L's--while L's that should be W's. Does the team's fortunes look brighter at 6-1 with a win over Texas? Im not letting 2 freak losses change any perspective. Duke is still a young team that has not seen a team as quick as Uconn. We may have inconsistencies on offense--but our defense can keep us in any game. Now if guys like Purvis and Calhoun actually show up healthy and we play up we can beat Duke. This is not a juggernaut and we are better than many of our fans believe we are. I believe I know we can win.

You believe you know we can win? What does that mean? It's sports, of course they can win, but you were also the same guy that somehow became convinced they could win a national championship after the Dayton game, so I don't think anyone's going to you for clearheaded analysis. Duke is very good. UConn has not shown itself to be very good yet. It's nice to come up with a game plan like "Make open threes and if they're not open drive to the hoop and dunk" but those plans have to actually be executed.

Incidentally, the Texas loss was not a "freak" loss. I don't know why people keep saying that. Texas had just as much claim to that W as UConn did, maybe more. They were up six at half time and the game was basically a one-possession game down to the wire. They ran a good play on the last possession and hit a (pretty easy) uncontested three. They deserved the win. UConn had 51 points with 6:13 left and still had 51 with 26 seconds left. That's your game.

Reaction Score
It's nice to come up with a game plan like "Make open threes and if they're not open drive to the hoop and dunk" but those plans have to actually be executed.
To be fair, that is a pretty good game plan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Since the obvious answer of score more points has been used, sprint back to the paint on defense then find and attack the perimeter players.

It's early in the season, but UConn has been doing a poor job of transition defense. This team can't afford to give teams points in transition. Make them earn everything from half court sets.

Reaction Score

we shoot the 3 terribly
Go away...

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
My game plan:

Protect Amida and play him off Okafor early, let Okafor get his. If AB tries to guard JO in the post early he's out of the game by the under 16 timeout.

Limit possessions, pressure on the ball when it crosses mid court.
Establish Hamilton early, he needs to have a hello world performance for us to be in it.
Play more Tsam then Sam I Am, defense first, attack the rim.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Boat and somebody else (maybe Samuel) need to defend their guards and keep Dook out of their comfort zone, certainly plausible

run our offense, limit turnovers and shoot 50%

Reaction Score
BTW, reading Duke's board reminds me that as bad as Kentucky fans are, Duke fans are far, far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom