How the future of UConn football was decided in Jim Mora’s Idaho kitchen nine months ago (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

How the future of UConn football was decided in Jim Mora’s Idaho kitchen nine months ago (M. Anthony)

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Look at it this way....this will make for a great scene in the ESPN 30-for-30 documentary about how the outcast Jim Mora was able to take left-for-dead, Independent UConn Football from near death to National Champion in 10 years!

The only question left, is who plays Jim Mora and Dave Benedict in the documentary?! :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was a great read. The story about the recruitment in that extended interview Is amazing. Benedict spent a day hiking with the coaching candidate’s girlfriend? Who does that?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
From all angles it feels like Mora is a good fit
I spoke with him briefly a few times at UConn Mens BB games and he seems to be a grounded guy.
I like the choice - now comes the time to show some success on the field
I don't care for or credit AD David Benedict with much but this may prove be his one shinning moment
We shall see..........................

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Look at it this way....this will make for a great scene in the ESPN 30-for-30 documentary about how the outcast Jim Mora was able to take left-for-dead, Independent UConn Football from near death to National Champion in 10 years!

The only question left, is who plays Jim Mora and Dave Benedict in the documentary?! :)

It will be closer to a 60 for 60 time frame. LOL.

We are already 13 years in to 30 for 30.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
That was a great read. The story about the recruitment in that extended interview Is amazing. Benedict spent a day hiking with the coaching candidate’s girlfriend? Who does that?

How this plays out is if this hire is a success, then this is a great story about how AD David Benedict did things differently and how smart and ingenious it was.

However, if it doesn't work out, then the story is an example of how inept and ridiculous the whole hiring process was and how AD David Benedict is in over his head.

Hoping (and believe) it is the former, but how this story is remembered is completely driven by actual performance over the next 4 years.

CL82

Reaction Score
How this plays out is if this hire is a success, then this is a great story about how AD David Benedict did things differently and how smart and ingenious it was.

However, if it doesn't work out, then the story is an example of how inept and ridiculous the whole hiring process was and how AD David Benedict is in over his head.

Hoping (and believe) it is the former, but how this story is remembered is completely driven by actual performance over the next 4 years.
True. If things it worked out differently people would be talking about how Diaco was a “crazy genius.” As it turned out, that was only half right.

Reaction Score
Let's hope Mora can deliver in the field. The result is the only thing that matters in sports unfortunately.

Dave could look like a genius if Mora can somehow turn the program around. At Mora's age, this could be he final stop as well. He could turn himself into a coaching legend like Calhoun or Geno.

I know we haven't played a down in the Mora era yet, but the energy does feel much different comparing to Edsall era, PP era, and Diaco era.

Reaction Score
My whole take upon hearing of Coach Mora's hire (and still my belief) is that Dave B. hit at home run. Coach was given his walking papers from UCLA for only 1 reason. Despite a 45-30 win-loss record (wouldn't UConn take that in a heartbeat), he was let go because he couldn't beat crosstown rival USC, the perennial PAC-12 flagbearer.
I think he is highly motivated to prove his critics wrong. UConn has NEVER had a coach with such a highly qualified football resume. I think that he will pay huge dividends & sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Fantastic read and great writing by Mike. Totally fine with the "unique" hiring process -- can't imagine the other coaches Benedict interviewed on Zoom had Mora's resume at the end of the day.

Sun Valley, Idaho sounds like a great time also!

Reaction Score

Sorry for the dislike, but you are talking extremes. In the here and now I believe 90% of Husky Nation is thrilled with the decision.

This was not the case with PP and RE2. Even BD was inexperienced and a risk.

If HCJM can’t get it done (say compared with BCU and Cuse) then major northeast football is redundant.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This sounds to good to be true, but I'll sign up for 60% of it right now.

Reaction Score
If we get manhandled by Utah State this board is going to crash hard. Like most fan sites, The Boneyard can be bipolar.
Agree, but some of us are out here trying to manage expectations. Doesn't mean we are not fans

CL82

Reaction Score
Agree, but some of us are out here trying to manage expectations. Doesn't mean we are not fans
Totally agree. It’s been a rough 10 years for Connecticut football. I think the Fanbase has developed a tendency to try to not to get too high or too low. I do think that we’ve been burned for so long, that there is a tendency to be pessimistic, particularly at early signs of adversity. Still, if we have some success it’s gonna be like throwing gasoline and dying embers the flame up is going to be enormous.

CL82

Reaction Score
I expect us to lose but cover. That’s my success goal for this game.
Oh, I’ve got some irrational expectations percolating in the back of my mind. I’ll keep them to myself for the time being.

Reaction Score
Oh, I’ve got some irrational expectations percolating in the back of my mind. I’ll keep them to myself for the time being.

Like winning the game? How awesome would that be!! I’ll go out and do a marathon or at least my version of it.

Reaction Score
So Mazzone mentioned to Benedict that JM might be interested in the job?

What I would like to know is why Mazzone left after only two weeks last year. Has that ever been explored? I remember the BY being mystified and that's it. He wasn't being listened to? He had done all that he could?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom