How the cookie crumbles where we land in the B1G. | The Boneyard

How the cookie crumbles where we land in the B1G.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is pure speculation but let's face it, football and basketball are over for the year. So I believe there is actually a chance we will land in the B1G but one mammoth move has to happen to facilitate that: the Texahoma 4 going to the Pac 12. The Pac 12 has not done as well as hoped in either revenue or viewership. The Big 12 is a ticking time bomb, and everyone knows it. The GOR of rights for both conferences end suspiciously at the same time (2024/25). Why would this happen? Texas and Oklahoma would be able to stay together and keep their state legislatures happy by bringing little brother along. The Pac 12 will get into the Central time zone which will allow for more games on TV that people along the East Coast watch. In order for this to happen, though, the Pac 12 will have to make a concession: Texas would get to keep the Longhorn Network (if it is still viable). How that would work, I don't know but if that concession is made, this would be a marriage made in heaven.

This gets us to where we come in. Suddenly, Kansas is the sexiest property left in the CR world. The Pac 12 won't touch them as they'll be content at 16 so the B1G and SEC will be vying for them. I truly believe that it will come down to Kansas and us to B1G or Kansas and WVU to SEC, and Kansas holds the cards. I believe they will pick academics and go with the B1G.

Where did I go wrong?

Reaction Score
No AAU, no B1G. It seem that UConn will be in the AAC in whatever form it is in after the above scenario occurs I am afraid to say Fact is, men's basketball is on a downward spiral and it will take a few years for football to be competitive in the AAC. We need to support UConn in its current conference and hope that the conference can build. Perhaps the AAC and B12 remnants will merge to form a P5 conference when the Big 12 implodes. Until then, everyone will sit tight. That I believe is the only hope at this point. It does not appear that the ACC or B1G will ever take UConn as a member.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is pure speculation but let's face it, football and basketball are over for the year. So I believe there is actually a chance we will land in the B1G but one mammoth move has to happen to facilitate that: the Texahoma 4 going to the Pac 12. The Pac 12 has not done as well as hoped in either revenue or viewership. The Big 12 is a ticking time bomb, and everyone knows it. The GOR of rights for both conferences end suspiciously at the same time (2024/25). Why would this happen? Texas and Oklahoma would be able to stay together and keep their state legislatures happy by bringing little brother along. The Pac 12 will get into the Central time zone which will allow for more games on TV that people along the East Coast watch. In order for this to happen, though, the Pac 12 will have to make a concession: Texas would get to keep the Longhorn Network (if it is still viable). How that would work, I don't know but if that concession is made, this would be a marriage made in heaven.

This gets us to where we come in. Suddenly, Kansas is the sexiest property left in the CR world. The Pac 12 won't touch them as they'll be content at 16 so the B1G and SEC will be vying for them. I truly believe that it will come down to Kansas and us to B1G or Kansas and WVU to SEC, and Kansas holds the cards. I believe they will pick academics and go with the B1G.

Where did I go wrong?
By posting?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
No AAU, no B1G. It seem that UConn will be in the AAC in whatever form it is in after the above scenario occurs I am afraid to say Fact is, men's basketball is on a downward spiral and it will take a few years for football to be competitive in the AAC. We need to support UConn in its current conference and hope that the conference can build. Perhaps the AAC and B12 remnants will merge to form a P5 conference when the Big 12 implodes. Until then, everyone will sit tight. That I believe is the only hope at this point. It does not appear that the ACC or B1G will ever take UConn as a member.
True now, but if Kansas is sitting there and the B1G doesn't want the SEC adding them (and WVU), they'll make a move.

Reaction Score

Where did I go wrong?

Getting into the mushrooms...

Reaction Score

Where did I go wrong?

Here is where I find trouble with your idea. First, the B1G network far exceeds the PAC network. Texas isn't going to jump 2 time zones and the Midwest schools are far better fits as future rivals. Texas isn't leaving to downgrade.

Where our peril lies as it relates to the B1G has more to do with Deans and President's than ADs. Only Nebraska, a natural geographic fit and a university with 68 PhD areas of study, is not an AAU shool. Candidates Texas, Texas A&M and Kansas are and all have football followings dwarving ours....even Kansas. Want to raid the ACC? Pitt is AAU and essentially a Midwest school in a decent market with a football history.

It's ACC or bust and we have made too many enemies there. Forget the B1G. Ever.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Here is where I find trouble with your idea. First, the B1G network far exceeds the PAC network. Texas isn't going to jump 2 time zones and the Midwest schools are far better fits as future rivals. Texas isn't leaving to downgrade.

Where our peril lies as it relates to the B1G has more to do with Deans and President's than ADs. Only Nebraska, a natural geographic fit and a university with 68 PhD areas of study, is not an AAU shool. Candidates Texas, Texas A&M and Kansas are and all have football followings dwarving ours....even Kansas. Want to raid the ACC? Pitt is AAU and essentially a Midwest school in a decent market with a football history.

That's the thing. Texas would get to keep the Longhorn Network and get some money from the PAC network. It would be a sweetheart deal to get them on board.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You didn't like when people said you were being waaaaay too optimistic on the Men's Board so you brought the idea to the CR board?

You will get way less support here.

The fact is UConn has had ample opportunities to be a member of a P5 organization as this required "shake up" for change to occur has already happened, multiple times as a matter of fact. And each time UConn was passed over for programs that seem to only make our fan base scratch their heads, outside of UConn Huskies-centric world, the recent P5 additions haven't really been questioned and in fact most feel that the right moves were made. And despite how "lamens" it all seems, people really only care about one thing over and over again.

How good were you in football over the last few years where the public's memory reaches, and how many seats did you fill in said football stadium. Everything else is "silver lining" if you meet those conditions, and that pretty much encompasses all of UConn's strengths and what they'd bring to the table. When the Big 10 goes to add they say AAU matters which is why UConn is kept out, until the right big enough fish expresses interest to join without AAU membership and then the Big 10 suddenly won't care about AAU anymore.

Can UConn add value to the Big 10 financially and competitively? Probably yes. Will the right people in charge see this, or even care enough to change the current status quo? Probably not.

Reaction Score
Sorry to say, but I agree. I fear we will be stuck in the AAC (or whatever form the AAC becomes as others get selected). It has nothing to do with athletic prowess, its just location, location, location. Nobody needs us where we are located.

Reaction Score

Forget Pitt leaving the ACC. They have a GOR until 2036. Pitt would have been in the B1G already if they wanted them. They don't add enough for the BTN in addition, as I believe the midwest market overlaps them already. So Pitt will not be leaving the ACC. In fact, no one will be leaving voluntarily, that is. Furthermore, as disgusting as the thought may be, the ACC has positioned itself to be probably the second or third most powerful conference in the land.

Reaction Score

Where did I go wrong?
Um, rule 1

Reaction Score
True now, but if Kansas is sitting there and the B1G doesn't want the SEC adding them (and WVU), they'll make a move.

Since when is Kansas some jewel that the SEC & B1G will get into a bidding war over?

In your scenario, with 4 schools going west, Kansas and WVU become strong adds to the AAC because neither will have any other options

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's a convenience of even numbers only. TX/OU want no part of leaving the noon TV space open for the SEC and TEXAS AM. Which would happen if half of UT's games are played at 3pm CST.

It's an idea that has not aged well. Both those schools are fine regardless of the B12 fate. They have no incentive to pre-empt anything having to do with CR. If they do anything it will be because they want to. That includes extorting their conference mates again in 2024.

Reaction Score
If Texas was of a mind to leave the B12, and had an opportunity to join the B1G, the ACC, or the SEC, but instead joined the PAC, that would constitute a bonehead blunder of the first rank. It ain't gonna happen, IMO.

Reaction Score
For those of you who predict UConn will never wind up in the ACC -- just remember Rutgers got into the B10 largely because of cable boxes. UConn offers a lot to the floundering ACC tv network. It may be more of a challenge to get into the B10. But the ACC may be likely soon, especially with our current football coach.

Reaction Score
You didn't like when people said you were being waaaaay too optimistic on the Men's Board so you brought the idea to the CR board?

You will get way less support here.

The fact is UConn has had ample opportunities to be a member of a P5 organization as this required "shake up" for change to occur has already happened, multiple times as a matter of fact. And each time UConn was passed over for programs that seem to only make our fan base scratch their heads, outside of UConn Huskies-centric world, the recent P5 additions haven't really been questioned and in fact most feel that the right moves were made. And despite how "lamens" it all seems, people really only care about one thing over and over again.

How good were you in football over the last few years where the public's memory reaches, and how many seats did you fill in said football stadium. Everything else is "silver lining" if you meet those conditions, and that pretty much encompasses all of UConn's strengths and what they'd bring to the table. When the Big 10 goes to add they say AAU matters which is why UConn is kept out, until the right big enough fish expresses interest to join without AAU membership and then the Big 10 suddenly won't care about AAU anymore.

Can UConn add value to the Big 10 financially and competitively? Probably yes. Will the right people in charge see this, or even care enough to change the current status quo? Probably not.

The Big is willing to take ND, no AAU and they knew Nebraska was going to lose AAU ( kept them in AAU until they joined the Big. Is Michigan State AAU? I guess if they want you bad enough it doesn't matter. There is no requirement in the Big conference by laws that require a school be in the AAU to join. So it seems it is used as an excuse to keep schools they don't think are up to their standards out.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The Big is willing to take ND, no AAU and they knew Nebraska was going to lose AAU ( kept them in AAU until they joined the Big. Is Michigan State AAU? I guess if they want you bad enough it doesn't matter. There is no requirement in the Big conference by laws that require a school be in the AAU to join. So it seems it is used as an excuse to keep schools they don't think are up to their standards out.

MSU is an AAU school, as is every other Big10 football school sans Nebraska. My impression has been that certain schools in the Big10/CiC/Big10 Academic Consortium were against non-AAU schools. Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Chicago were the four that always came to my mind. Michigan and Wisconsin led the charge to expell UNL from the AAU.

I wonder how the University of Chicago leaving the CiC impacts this?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
My point exactly.

Idiots on message boards sticking up for the Big 10 by citing the AAU requirement are just playing a game of pretentiousness for the sake of exclusivity. F' em.

Reaction Score
I wonder how the University of Chicago leaving the CiC impacts this?

The expansion of the Athletic conference (with the requisite dollar-chasing decision making) may be why the University of Chicago left.

In other news, FWIW, Michigan State was not an AAU member when they joined in 1950. At that time, candidate Nebraska was, candidate Pittsburgh was not.

Reaction Score
Non Big Ten State subscribers need to lobby their cable providers to make the BTN a la carte and not force it upon everyone who wants a sports package. This will change the Big Ten's attitude toward whom it accepts as members. Why should people in New England be forced to have the BTN to get a "sports package"? I really wonder how many New Englanders, even New Yorkers ever watch the BTN. Close your wallet and suddenly people listen. Just think, if New Jerseyites for the most part didn't want to pay for the BTN, would RU have been invited?

Reaction Score

AAU Affiliation in The B1G has been a smokescreen for decades. Its a preference not a requirement. There is one real qualification for membership. Can you make us a lot of money? That's it. Athletics are just businesses being run by universities. They are non essential to the operation of any school. That said if they are run properly they can be nice streams of revenue, sources of pride/connection for alumni, and recruiting tools for prospective students for any university. If AAU was ever truly a deciding criteria for membership, the league would have gave up on ND decades ago, and Nebraska would still be in The Big 12. Uconn can get in w/o AAU. That is a lesser issue. Proving your addition adds to the pie is a much more challenging one.

Reaction Score
Non Big Ten State subscribers need to lobby their cable providers to make the BTN a la carte and not force it upon everyone who wants a sports package. This will change the Big Ten's attitude toward whom it accepts as members. Why should people in New England be forced to have the BTN to get a "sports package"? I really wonder how many New Englanders, even New Yorkers ever watch the BTN. Close your wallet and suddenly people listen. Just think, if New Jerseyites for the most part didn't want to pay for the BTN, would RU have been invited?

I don't watch the Mets, Yankees, Pirates, or any soccer outside of the college level, yet there are networks pushing these teams/sports in my cable package. I simply choose to not watch any of them. If by chance there is ever something there I want to watch then I can.

When it is explained to the average cable subscriber that it costs less to purchase a bunch of programming that they may never watch to get the programming that they do watch, as opposed to buying only the desired programming, the majority will choose the former.

Reaction Score
I don't watch the Mets, Yankees, Pirates, or any soccer outside of the college level, yet there are networks pushing these teams/sports in my cable package. I simply choose to not watch any of them. If by chance there is ever something there I want to watch then I can.

When it is explained to the average cable subscriber that it costs less to purchase a bunch of programming that they may never watch to get the programming that they do watch, as opposed to buying only the desired programming, the majority will choose the former.
I am not certain that paying for many channels that one never watches is cheaper than paying for a single channel that one watches often. I will say that I am not knowledgeable at this time what the actual costs are. I know that you are trying to defend the BTN, but I really wish someone would actually poll people in the the Northeast to see how many actually watch anything on the BTN. I even wonder how many people in New Jersey actually watch anything on the BTN if RU is not involved. I will admit that in the past year the only time I watched the BTN was when UConn played OSU. Otherwise, it might as well not exist. Maybe millions of people here are watching the BTN regularly and I am an outlier. Maybe there could be a boneyard poll on BTN watching just to get an idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom