How the big boys do it | The Boneyard

How the big boys do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USC fires their coach the same time as Uconn. New coach in place Dec. 1.

UDub loses coach to USC, replaces him within 1 week.

Wake coach resigns. Reports of their AD all over the midwest pursuing their best options.

Even the non big boys -
Miami of OH - fires coach October; new hire in place by Dec. 1

From Uconn - not even chirping crickets. Just names floated on blogs or by agents.

Reaction Score
Just means that we are trying to get the best guy possible. Most of those schools select who the want, for us it's not simple. Miami isn't going to be competing with anyone for who they hire. It's simple for them.

Reaction Score
A bit unfair in that UConn couldn't hire Narduzzi, have to see how the bidding is going for Lembo plus Petersen wasn't a candidate here and that job being filled means more candidates (DeRuyter) for UConn

But the clock is ticking on Warde come about 4:30 Saturday -- or in reality when the Big Ten championship game ends. Then he's got a 72 to 96-hour window.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We can't make a hire while our season is still going on. This garbage late season game against Memphis is bad for many reasons, including delaying our coaching search. I would hope we have a new coach hired by 12/14 at the latest.

Reaction Score
WM Press Conference tomorrow at 11am with an update on the search.... just relax everybody.
Let me give you a summary before it happens so you don't waste some precious time tomorrow -
Now that the season is over, we can focus on the best option for Connecticut football.

We will not dissclose any names.

The search will be thorough and professional and very broad in scope.

I have not contacted anyone as the season was still underway and I am too nice of a guy to do that.

No, I will not disclose our budget.

Hiring a search firm is totally appropriate.

Our options are wide open.

We will find the best possible coach for Connecticut.

or...

I am proud to announce that I have removed the interim from coach Weist's title. The 3 wins to end the season tells me he is the best option for Connecticut football at this time. He has shown character, integrity and coaching ability that makes him a natural to be the next coach. It also makes my life easier since he is here right now and I will not have to travel anywhere during the next coupe of weeks. It allows me to focus on Christmas shopping.

Reaction Score
Let me give you a summary before it happens so you don't waste some precious time tomorrow -
Now that the season is over, we can focus on the best option for Connecticut football.

We will not dissclose any names.

The search will be thorough and professional and very broad in scope.

I have not contacted anyone as the season was still underway and I am too nice of a guy to do that.

No, I will not disclose our budget.

Hiring a search firm is totally appropriate.

Our options are wide open.

We will find the best possible coach for Connecticut.

or...

I am proud to announce that I have removed the interim from coach Weist's title. The 3 wins to end the season tells me he is the best option for Connecticut football at this time. He has shown character, integrity and coaching ability that makes him a natural to be the next coach. It also makes my life easier since he is here right now and I will not have to travel anywhere during the next coupe of weeks. It allows me to focus on Christmas shopping.
Your final option is not happening. Take it to the bank. My guess is that we have our coach lined up, probably our top 2-3. We and at least a couple of them have games this weekend. We'll have our guy gift wrapped and under the tree by December 15 or so.

I don't love playing a regular season game this late in the year and if it were up to me we'd never schedule one after the final Saturday in November. Maybe even Thanksgiving weekend whenever it falls.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't love playing a regular season game this late in the year and if it were up to me we'd never schedule one after the final Saturday in November. Maybe even Thanksgiving weekend whenever it falls.
In two more years, conf. champ game will be this weekend so that concern can be put to rest going forward. If we are in it, no need for coaching change...

Reaction Score
Your final option is not happening. Take it to the bank. My guess is that we have our coach lined up, probably our top 2-3. We and at least a couple of them have games this weekend. We'll have our guy gift wrapped and under the tree by December 15 or so.

If the opportunity arose, would you schedule BC in an annual home and home (forget Gillette)??

Reaction Score
I am proud to announce that I have removed the interim from coach Weist's title. The 3 wins to end the season tells me he is the best option for Connecticut football at this time.
If Manuel knows UCONN will end with a 3-game win streak before the Memphis kickoff, he's far more impressive than some choose to believe or someone's on the take.

Reaction Score
If Manuel knows UCONN will end with a 3-game win streak before the Memphis kickoff, he's far more impressive than some choose to believe or someone's on the take.

Just about to put him on "ignore".

Reaction Score
Can't a guy be an optimist about the last home game? Maybe I should have posted if Uconn wins tomorrow, he would say...

Reaction Score

If we had a great season, this weekend's game would be nice, but we wet the bed the first 10-11 weeks (including the bye weeks).. It's nice to be a part of the final regular season week of college football...just not when u know it's over and your anxious to find out who's going to get hired to try and right our ship...

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
WM Press Conference tomorrow at 11am with an update on the search.... just relax everybody.
What else do you know? Names? When is the B1G invite coming?

Reaction Score
USC and Wake are private schools so they can empower their ADs to go hire a new coach. Unfortunately, you can't do that at a public university like UConn. And, you have to wait until your candidates seasons are over. If Clawson and Narduzzi are two of the top candidates, you haven't interviewed them yet because one has a game Friday and the other on Saturday. Plus, if you were Warde, you wanted TJ to hold the team together and show some improvement, so you didn't want the distraction of a coach search to impact team. No matter who gets hired, having the team win at least 2 of the last 3 games (and probably 3 out of 3!), gives UConn some positive momentum heading into the offseason and next year.

Finally, if you look at the Washington and USC coach search results, who do you think did better? I think Washington is happy they traded Sarkisian for Peterson.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
USC and Wake are private schools so they can empower their ADs to go hire a new coach. Unfortunately, you can't do that at a public university like UConn. And, you have to wait until your candidates seasons are over. If Clawson and Narduzzi are two of the top candidates, you haven't interviewed them yet because one has a game Friday and the other on Saturday. Plus, if you were Warde, you wanted TJ to hold the team together and show some improvement, so you didn't want the distraction of a coach search to impact team. No matter who gets hired, having the team win at least 2 of the last 3 games (and probably 3 out of 3!), gives UConn some positive momentum heading into the offseason and next year.

Finally, if you look at the Washington and USC coach search results, who do you think did better? I think Washington is happy they traded Sarkisian for Peterson.
Last I checked Washington is public and moved swiftly...

Reaction Score
Wake and Miami OH are big boys? Really.

USC was pretty outspoken that they were going to fill the spot quickly. And don't forget they and Udub have frigging games to prepare for - having a splintering staff (you can see assisitants on both staffs moving already) has never proven to be good for a program headed to a bowl (remember what happened to Cincy when Kelly left at 11th hour?).

Relax. Not one thing you scream about as to what this AD should do matters one iota to him or his boss. He is deliberate, plays card close to vest and, to date, has made good hires (and that includes telling JC to go sit down and STFU; that he'd make the decision when HE was convinced KO was the right guy).

We all want a coach, a staff, a direction, a plan, a re-start on recruiting, etc. It will come in time. Breathe in. Go to the game. Cheer on the kids tomorrow. And then plan for an eventful offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom