OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
No idea what they are, but I'm 110% sure I wouldn't eat them.

You would if you like good, fresh flavor.

The young foliage of ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris and Matteuccia pennsylvanica) is generally considered to be one of the most delicious ferns around, and ostrich fern is a graceful, easy plant for a shade garden.

In reality, fresh fiddleheads are not anything particularly strange. They are just the immature, green shoots of ferns, and they don't taste much different than asparagus. They grow in the wild and their tightly wound stalks house a burst of nutty green flavor that goes well with a variety of dishes. A common way to eat fiddlehead ferns is sautéed in olive oil with garlic.

• 3 cups fresh fiddlehead ferns, ends trimmed
  • 3 tablespoons unfiltered extra-virgin olive oil substitute pork fat for a Southern experience!
    1 clove garlic, minced
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook fiddlehead ferns in the boiling water until barely tender, 7 to 10 minutes; drain.

Heat olive oil or bacon fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the prepared fiddlehead ferns, garlic, and the salt and pepper. Cook and stir until ferns are tinged lightly brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with lemon juice. Lemon juice is optional.

• ¡Buen provecho! (That's Mid-coast Maine Spanish for “Enjoy!”

CB17F5FA-ED68-414F-9637-F6D1ED8D75CA.jpeg

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's southern food around Louisiana. Ain't much catfish eaten in the Carolina's, Georgia an abouts.

We eat catfish here, but it's not in the top 5 of fried fish. The Mount Rushmore of Fried Fish here in NC is Flounder, Trout, Perch, and Whiting. Tiaplia, and Croaker are in the also receiving votes category. I haven't had any catfish in probably over a decade or more. Not that I'm against it, its perfectly fine....but its just an afterthought when I go to a fish house (always on a friday night) There is an politically incorrect joke I had about fish places... not sure if I should keep it to myself... or risk the ire of the mod's. :confused:

Appreciate the insight. Also helps to clarify things. Dominica has fair bit of French and British influence in our culture due to colonization. I can see how souse could have emerged from that.

I was over in the hot dog section at the grocery store, and saw Souse by Neese's. My goal is to try it this summer..... but then again... I said the same thing back in 2020.

edit: I just looked up the ingredients again (i had forgotten)... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I may try it, if I don't like it.... I'll send the rest of it to @cancontent

Souse

Reaction Score
We eat catfish here, but it's not in the top 5 of fried fish. The Mount Rushmore of Fried Fish here in NC is Flounder, Trout, Perch, and Whiting. Tiaplia, and Croaker are in the also receiving votes category. I haven't had any catfish in probably over a decade or more. Not that I'm against it, its perfectly fine....but its just an afterthought when I go to a fish house (always on a friday night) There is an politically incorrect joke I had about fish places... not sure if I should keep it to myself... or risk the ire of the mod's. :confused:

I was over in the hot dog section at the grocery store, and saw Souse by Neese's. My goal is to try it this summer..... but then again... I said the same thing back in 2020.

edit: I just looked up the ingredients again (i had forgotten)... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I may try it, if I don't like it.... I'll send the rest of it to @cancontent

Souse

You can keep it!

Reaction Score
OK, I looked at it more closely, and after realizing that there is no link for a test site, I took the test. I scored a 22: there were several items on the list that my family has eaten but I just don't like (I do not like tomatoes by themselves, or gizzards - I also don't like chicken liver, but have accidentally eaten them several times, much to my chagrin).

Also, this test is a fake test - no chicken bog or perlo, hogshead cheese sandwiches, fried okra or collard greens, and sweet potato pie.....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Souse
When its raining the croakers literally jump in the boat.

Reaction Score
I scored a 35. Four of them I’ve eaten today. Further there are a vast majority of items on the list that I’m shocked are exclusively southern. What are you people eating????

Edited to add that I’ve actually eaten everything on the list. The ones I previously thought I hadn’t eaten we simply call something else where I grew up. My last comment above stands.
26 for me and I thought I was 100% Southern! Left off one of my favorites, BBQ coon!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
8 -- Transplanted Connecticutian living in Florida for the last 25 years.
'8 -- Transplanted Connecticutian Yankee/Nutmegger living in Florida for the last 25 years'
ftfy.

and, general observation, i eat plenty of catfish, mostly fried, and i live in Connecticut. some local, some storebought.

Reaction Score
Came across this on Twitter.. I scored a 26

View attachment 52441
Not even sure, triaddukefan, which might tell you about how careless I was about my diet whilst in the South, but I believe 12... not exactly a proud number for a Wake guy. Fun thread, however, for anyone who's spent much time down there.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You can keep it!
i assume u mean the 'tiaplia' in that list, a fish so foul that the author of that list couldn't even spell it correctly, and surely not catfish, right?

*tilapia - carcinogenic flavored sink sponge material.
i really don't like that stuff. u can hide fish in a lot of dishes, but not that toxic rubber. yuk.

Reaction Score
i assume u mean the 'tiaplia' in that list, a fish so foul that the author of that list couldn't even spell it correctly, and surely not catfish, right?

*tilapia - carcinogenic flavored sink sponge material.
i really don't like that stuff. u can hide fish in a lot of dishes, but not that toxic rubber. yuk.
No. I was referring to @triaddukefan's "generous" offer to send souse up my way in the Great White North. While it's something my family eats and enjoys, it's not my thing.......AT ALL!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
in my penance served in the swamp, after the big boss called me 'charles emerson winchester' one day (he was a guy on that mash show), everrone started calling me 'charles' or 'c.e.w.' didn't bother me as it was in good fun, tho i would often say 'i did my time up in Cambridge too, but i ain't from there. i from Bridgeport.' mebbe it was the bowties, idk.
then, in beagle school in cali, a few profs would call me yank, as in 'what does the yank think aboot this?' some also would joke 'what say u, spiccoli?' but that's another matter.
get it right:
A-Connecticut-Yankee-in-Kings-Arthurs-Court.jpg

hey! i just noticed that this pic sez 'dover thrift editions'
coolaroni.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
fried gator, smoked eel, hill bbq, crawdads, cornbread, moonshine, bourbon, tree picked grapefruit, oranges, pecans - all good great.

respect!

feeling al warm and fuzzy now, wondering iffn i could book a lazy rafting trip down the Tennesee-Tombigbee all the way to the Gulf. sounds magical, just layin out on the deck, lookin up to the sky, after tossing the phone into the water.... think aboot it. heat up into the triple digits, air so thick that u could cut it with a knife, no one doin anything fast.... prolly see fish lounging around in the river on pool recliners, little cocktail glasses in their paws complete with tiny colorful umbrellas. yep, sounds magical. i bet they even use straws, those fish. too much work to lift up the glass.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I scored 28. I was born in and live in the South (sort of) although true Southerners would probably claim that Kentucky is more North than South. My mom was Canadian and my dad was from Ohio, so there's that...

Reaction Score
Yeah... that being left off the list was particularly egregious. 1) Im no fan of either.... but I think I would eat a collard before a turnip. 2) this may not be politically correct to say..... but I didnt realize until maybe the last decade or so... that non-blacks ate collard greens :eek: I always picture somebody's elderly aunt or grandma in the kitchen making a pot of collards and putting fatback @Crazyhorse in it to add to the seasoning. Every christmas I always say imma try some collards, imma try some collards... but alas.... i just cant do it.

1) deviled eggs are a gift from the heavens.... nothing like fried chicken with 4-6 deviled eggs......... and a glass of sweet ice tea

2) My neighbor and I were talking about squirrel a few weeks back...... he was talking about how he used to hunt back in the day... and mentioned squirrel. I told him I'd never had it... but it is kinda intriguing. Im not sure where I would get processed squirrel meat from though....... guess I could just set up a trap in the back yard. :rolleyes:

My favorite collards were actually made by my late father in law who was a very white man from Detroit.

Kind of upset me he did it so effortlessly, but I often think southerners overdue the sugar with collards.

Reaction Score
Came across this on Twitter.. I scored a 26

View attachment 52441
Scored a 28. I mean I use "yonder" in my every-day vocab. I'm about as Southern as it gets.

"Yonder ways"
"Over yonder"

ETA: And just a random LOL at Yankees who don't understand our love of boiled peanuts and don't realize you shell them before you eat them. (Watched a Yankee attempt to eat a bag of them and didn't know to shell them first and was gagging on them hull and all... And I just gave him a "bless your heart" and laughed)

Reaction Score
My favorite collards were actually made by my late father in law who was a very white man from Detroit.

Kind of upset me he did it so effortlessly, but I often think southerners overdue the sugar with collards.
What evil is this your speaking! No real southerners put sugar in greens of any kind. They are supposed to be bitter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom