OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz

Reaction Score
What does 33 make me???
giphy.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We have had some new members joined since originally posted, and its the off-season so.....

Reaction Score
We have had some new members joined since originally posted, and its the off-season so.....
I just came back from a road trip to Raleigh/Durham. My count now stands at 30. And I'm now a member of the Lick Bar and Lounge, in Lizard Lick, NC.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Wow. 12. And I've never lived in the south and don't even eat much meat. But I do love a meat + three when the meat can be chicken!

Reaction Score
26. Did i miss fried catfish? That's a quentisental southern food in my opinion.

And although Texan, my wife loves calf fries. Not sure if that counts as southern though.

Reaction Score
I bet there were a few items you had to google to see what they were :p
I'm still googling as we speak. Give me another week to get caught up. What a list.

One question - is red beans and rice really considered a southern meal? My family background is Caribbean and this is something we'd eat frequently.

Reaction Score
I'm still googling as we speak. Give me another week to get caught up. What a list.

One question - is red beans and rice really considered a southern meal? My family background is Caribbean and this is something we'd eat frequently.
southern carribean ?

Reaction Score
southern carribean ?
Family comes from a small island called Dominica, which is part of the West Indies. Some immigrated to Canada, others to the UK and US.

In reading the list, some of these meals caught my attention as they're considered staples back home. For example souse is another meal I wouldn't have considered to be a southern thing. While it's not something I personally enjoy, it's made on a weekly basis in my family.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
30! Born and raised New Orleans. Anyone have Hog Head Cheese?

Reaction Score
8 -- Transplanted Connecticutian living in Florida for the last 25 years.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Family comes from a small island called Dominica, which is part of the West Indies. Some immigrated to Canada, others to the UK and US.

In reading the list, some of these meals caught my attention as they're considered staples back home. For example souse is another meal I wouldn't have considered to be a southern thing. While it's not something I personally enjoy, it's made on a weekly basis in my family.
A lot of it is the US-centric way that people in the US tend to look at things. The red beans and rice that's alluded to is a Cajun dish originally popular in Louisians that's crept a little further afield. It's very different from the Caribbean or Central American beans and rice that I've had. It has a lot of gravy, including onions and peppers in addition to the Cajun spices. Souse/head cheese is another one that grew out of New Orleans/Louisiana, which have a heavy French cultural influence, whence the souse.

Neither head cheese nor red beans and rice are common in the northern reaches of the US, so they're considered "Southern." I'm sure if they weren't popular in the south they'd be considered "world cuisine" or something.

Deviled eggs being considered Southern still has me shaking my head two years later. All branches of my family, all from New England, some 12 generations in New England, make deviled eggs.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
26. Did i miss fried catfish? That's a quentisental southern food in my opinion.

And although Texan, my wife loves calf fries. Not sure if that counts as southern though.
That's southern food around Louisiana. Ain't much catfish eaten in the Carolina's, Georgia an abouts.

Reaction Score
That's southern food around Louisiana. Ain't much catfish eaten in the Carolina's, Georgia an abouts.
You must not get too far from the coast. Alabama and Mississippi are the largest producers of farm raised catfish in the country. There are catfish restaurants galore in Georgia (western Georgia that is).

Reaction Score
You must not get too far from the coast. Alabama and Mississippi are the largest producers of farm raised catfish in the country. There are catfish restaurants galore in Georgia (western Georgia that is).
Belzoni, MS is the catfish capital of the world. I’m pretty sure that is literal. People eat fried catfish every Friday down here and there are lines out the door of catfish buffets on Saturday night and Sunday after church.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That's pretty much what I said.

Reaction Score
A lot of it is the US-centric way that people in the US tend to look at things. The red beans and rice that's alluded to is a Cajun dish originally popular in Louisians that's crept a little further afield. It's very different from the Caribbean or Central American beans and rice that I've had. It has a lot of gravy, including onions and peppers in addition to the Cajun spices. Souse/head cheese is another one that grew out of New Orleans/Louisiana, which have a heavy French cultural influence, whence the souse.

Neither head cheese nor red beans and rice are common in the northern reaches of the US, so they're considered "Southern." I'm sure if they weren't popular in the south they'd be considered "world cuisine" or something.

Deviled eggs being considered Southern still has me shaking my head two years later. All branches of my family, all from New England, some 12 generations in New England, make deviled eggs.

Appreciate the insight. Also helps to clarify things. Dominica has fair bit of French and British influence in our culture due to colonization. I can see how souse could have emerged from that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I just came back from a road trip to Raleigh/Durham. My count now stands at 30. And I'm now a member of the Lick Bar and Lounge, in Lizard Lick, NC.

A yankee scored more points than me? :oops: Shameful, looks like I have some work to do this summer. I need to go in the backyard to hunt down some squirrels and rabbits.

Saw this and thought calf fries were just thick french fries and thought interesting, I love french fries. Then I googled them :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well they sell red beans and rice at Popeye's... so I figure they are southern.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom