OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1) deviled eggs are a gift from the heavens.... nothing like fried chicken with 4-6 deviled eggs......... and a glass of sweet ice tea

2) My neighbor and I were talking about squirrel a few weeks back...... he was talking about how he used to hunt back in the day... and mentioned squirrel. I told him I'd never had it... but it is kinda intriguing. Im not sure where I would get processed squirrel meat from though....... guess I could just set up a trap in the back yard. :rolleyes:

At my family get-togethers (in Maine or New Hampshire, all living in New England except me, my wife and daughter), the deviled eggs are so popular that usually two people bring them. Even so the person who takes the last one gets dirty looks. I know because it's often me.

The thing about squirrel (which I haven't tried) is that it's so much work for so little meat. Frog legs are very tasty, but I don't eat them for the same reason. Thinking of frog legs, I remember Bobcat Goldthwait saying, "If it tastes like chicken, just give me chicken."

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
When I was a kid, this was a "ham sandwich without the ham."
fresh picked summer tomato, seeded rye bread also fresh baked, and lots of mayo -- fuhhghetaboutit. awe inspiring, and reason alone to hope for better days soon. if ur a wonderbread type instead, or any other bread for that matter, i'd happily eat that version, too.

Reaction Score
30:confused: and I'm Italian Irish and my hubs is an Ohio State farm boy. But I've also eaten Iguana, Guinea Pig, and DOG.

Reaction Score
30:confused: and I'm Italian Irish and my hubs is an Ohio State farm boy. But I've also eaten Iguana, Guinea Pig, and DOG.

Like my Irish friend told me, you are not Irish, you are American ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
22. I love a good corn pudding. I'm not sure what chocolate gravy and fatback are. They should have listed pimento cheese.

I was gonna deduct a point.....and order you to read four Southern Living magazines from front to back..... but I will forgive you since you mentioned pimento cheese.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
30, however there were opportunities to try the others and I chose not too!

Reaction Score
I got 10 which seems about right growing up just south of the Mason Dixon line. However, I have heard of most of them. Many I would not touch with a 10 foot pole...

Reaction Score
I got 10 which seems about right growing up just south of the Mason Dixon line. However, I have heard of most of them. Many I would not touch with a 10 foot pole...

Are you practicing social distancing with Southern food!

33 here and tasted a couple others but didn't care for them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since I need to up my score.... I found a source for Souse. There is a Company based here in Greensboro that sells all kinds of Pork related food..... Sausage... Souse, C-Loaf (chitterlings), Bacon, Liver Pudding, Livermush, and Scrapple.

Good news... they ship all over the country... and their products have my personal seal of approval. I wouldn't steer you wrong :cool: well maybe a few of yall

Shop – Neese Sausage

Though I will admit... after seeing a few of the ingredients in Souse..... pig skins, pig tongue, pig heart , pickles and a few other things.

nooooooooooo.gif

Reaction Score
Since I need to up my score.... I found a source for Souse. There is a Company based here in Greensboro that sells all kinds of Pork related food..... Sausage... Souse, C-Loaf (chitterlings), Bacon, Liver Pudding, Livermush, and Scrapple.

Good news... they ship all over the country... and their products have my personal seal of approval. I wouldn't steer you wrong :cool: well maybe a few of yall

Shop – Neese Sausage

Though I will admit... after seeing a few of the ingredients in Souse..... pig skins, pig tongue, pig heart , pickles and a few other things.

View attachment 52773

If you ever ate Spam, potted meat, deviled ham, you get all that.

Real Souse is also called Hog Head Cheese. You take the head, brain is already gone, first thing out and scrambled with eggs. Back to souse, remove eyes and tongue, boil the rest of head in cast iron pot, (yes like a witches pot) scrape everything off the bone, run through grinder, season, press flat to make a loaf.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If you ever ate Spam, potted meat, deviled ham, you get all that.

Real Souse is also called Hog Head Cheese. You take the head, brain is already gone, first thing out and scrambled with eggs. Back to souse, remove eyes and tongue, boil the rest of head in cast iron pot, (yes like a witches pot) scrape everything off the bone, run through grinder, season, press flat to make a loaf.

I had a Paul Prudhomme cookbook with a recipe for red beans and rice that started with boiling a hogshead. (Night before last, hot sausage worked fine.)

It also had a recipe for red boudin that started with pig's blood that had to be VERY fresh, and if not fresh, kept on ice. I haven't had red boudin, but I did have black pudding (also a blood sausage) in Ireland. Not my cuppa.

I donated the Prudhomme cookbook.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
24 - not bad for almost 50 years in MA/CT and now a Floridian

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Came across this on Twitter.. I scored a 26
Sho'nuff Southern with a 33. I had many of these foods in the first 21 years of my life living in PA. Some had different names such headcheese instead of souse. I am guessing the pickled pigs feet at the Slovak and Polish clubs' bar were different. Frankly ambrosia salad sounds much more appetizing than congealed salad. I have never eaten Burgoo, Oyster Casserole, Hoppin' John, Liver Mush (and never will!), Brunswick Stew, and Poke Salad. At one time my sales territory included Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. We lived in Missouri for 27 years. We also had a dear friend who grew up in south. She always tried to surprise me with a new southern dish at each dinner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brunswick stew is basically Beef stew but with pork or chicken or wild game.

Tomato base, beans, corn, potatoes, okra, carrots, and meat.

Surely most of you have had stew.

Reaction Score
Simply put, “fatback” comes from each side of the pig’s back. It is cured with salt. You may know it as “salt pork.” My mama in south Alabama used small chunks of it to season and salt turnip greens, green beans, and black-eyed peas. It also can be sliced similar to bacon. When sliced, it is referred to as “streak o’ lean.” Whereas good bacon consists of lean smoked meat interspersed with streaks of fat; streak o’ lean is sliced salted fat with a streak or two of lean meat in it.

I am sure this is waaaay more info than any of you want.

Reaction Score
Simply put, “fatback” comes from each side of the pig’s back. It is cured with salt. You may know it as “salt pork.” My mama in south Alabama used small chunks of it to season and salt turnip greens, green beans, and black-eyed peas. It also can be sliced similar to bacon. When sliced, it is referred to as “streak o’ lean.” Whereas good bacon consists of lean smoked meat interspersed with streaks of fat; streak o’ lean is sliced salted fat with a streak or two of lean meat in it.

I am sure this is waaaay more info than any of you want.
Salt pork is one of the best breakfast foods ever created. Period.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A story on Collard Green Sandwiches..... you can fast forward to the 2:55 mark if you just want to see how they prepare them. As they say.... you gotta have fatback on it. Also noted in the video.... they fry their collards... and they talk about Chow-Chow ... another food I associate with the South.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A couple of things to add:

I'd say the primary difference between Brunswick stew and your garden-variety beef/pork/chicken stew is the presence of tomato. To me that's akin to the difference between a file gumbo and an okra gumbo.

Burgoo is also just a stew, but made with game rather than farm-raised meat. I had a friend from Kentucky who cooked it, so I may have unwittingly had squirrel once or twice.

I guess poke weed is more common in the south than the north, but around here in Maryland (and I assume where SVC grew up in PA), it really does grow as a weed. I've encouraged some in our yard, as my wife LOVES the stuff. We don't make a salad from it, but cook it as greens. Be careful, you can only eat the small leaves, bigger ones can make you so sick you'll have to die to get better. (Actually they can kill you, but that's really unusual, and if you've been eating it all season, it would've made you sick a few times, at which point if you keep eating it, it's your own fault).

Reaction Score
While vacationing on the Outer Banks several years ago we ran across a book entitled "White Trash Cooking" in a small hole in the wall bookstore on Ocracoke Island. Suffice to say that I crew up eating several of the dishes that were in that book being raised in the Appalachian mountains of Maryland...

Reaction Score
While vacationing on the Outer Banks several years ago we ran across a book entitled "White Trash Cooking" in a small hole in the wall bookstore on Ocracoke Island. Suffice to say that I crew up eating several of the dishes that were in that book being raised in the Appalachian mountains of Maryland...

Does that make you almost West Virginian?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom