OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
3 or so for this northerner from Milwaukee (now in Palo Alto).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I also feel the list falls a bit short on the desserts. Chess pie is fine and good, but the staples in my grandma's house were pecan pie and black bottom pie (my heart swoons).

Other classic Southern pies include:
buttermilk pie
hummingbird pie
sweet potato pie

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I also feel the list falls a bit short on the desserts. Chess pie is fine and good, but the staples in my grandma's house were pecan pie and black bottom pie (my heart swoons).

Other classic Southern pies include:
buttermilk pie
hummingbird pie
sweet potato pie
What the heck is hummingbird pie? I mean, my parents were southern, but I've never heard of that.

Plebe

Reaction Score
What the heck is hummingbird pie? I mean, my parents were southern, but I've never heard of that.
I'm sure the recipes vary, but for me it's a combination of of banana, pecan, pineapple and coconut.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I've never heard of hummingbird pie..... but Im a big fan of Hummingbird Cake from this place here in Greensboro ... Maxi B's @Argonaut

The site says its contains bananas, pecans, and pineapple.

Hummingbird Cake

hummingbirdcake2.jpg

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Four years in Savannah and could only muster up 12 points...yikes. Five of those points were made by my northern grandma regularly growing up.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I've never heard of hummingbird pie..... but Im a big fan of Hummingbird Cake from this place here in Greensboro ... Maxi B's @Argonaut

Hummingbird Cake

hummingbirdcake2.jpg

That hummingbird cake is my favorite flavor at Maxie B’s. Why must you taunt me so?

Reaction Score
18 for me. Left out BBQ Coon, squirrel stew, wild turkey stew, lard biscuits, mayo sandwich, crowder peas with rice, some many desserts, etc. Miss those meals!

Plebe

Reaction Score

Hummingbird Cake
Hummingbird pie is just a pie spinoff of the cake, so to speak:

1585577484197.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

View attachment 52463
Once I saw coconut pecan crumb I'm a fan.

Reaction Score
Make sure it is the kind mixed and fried with the cornmeal instead of those tatertot looking things you see most places.
Yes, the only way I knew fried okra until i was 40, was to shake the okra in a bowl or paper bag with some cornmeal (and a little salt and pepper) and fry it up in a black iron skillet.

Reaction Score

View attachment 52463
I have to make this! And that crust looks perfect.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I bet there were a few items you had to google to see what they were :p
Well, I know I am a "Yankee" but I did score a 10! Triad-very disappointing that you only scored 26 of 39, that's a 67% score. Your Southern roots are now in question...:oops:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
12. Not very southern. Or not very adventurous. I did live in GA, FL and VA for a bit though.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
2 years in LA (Lower Alabama) courtesy of Uncle Sam and I got 16. So I just qualified as Sho'nuff.
Fatback is pork skin and fat, a close cousin to salt pork. You can fry it and cut it up like bacon bits. Or use it in a lot of recipes that call for rendered pork fat.
I sometimes use it to make Rhode Island clam chowder, with quahog clams of course. Or Hungarian Szalonna.

Reaction Score
12. Not very southern. Or not very adventurous. I did live in GA, FL and VA for a bit though.
I realize Virginia was home to the capital of the Confederacy but anything north of South Carolina and Tennessee and west/northwest of Arkansas as well as anything but the panhandle of Florida is only marginally “Southern” at best. Basically Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, eastern Arkansas, Louisiana above I-10, and the Florida panhandle is “The South”.
Edited to add my home state of Mississippi.

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I realize Virginia was home to the capital of the Confederacy but anything north of South Carolina and Tennessee and west/northwest of Arkansas as well as anything but the panhandle of Florida is only marginally “Southern” at best. Basically Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, eastern Arkansas, Louisiana above I-10, and the Florida panhandle is “The South”.

You just p*ssed off a whole bunch of Virginians, sir! :eek:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I went to graduate school at UVA with a guy who grew up in Texas, Alabama, and Louisiana. All these kids from the Washington suburbs thought they were so Southern. He said Virginia is just a "Boahdah state." I had a good friend who grew up for the most part in the northern part of Virginia who'd lived for a year just over the border in Maryland, about 30 miles from her home in VA. She said she'd never live "in the north" again. Swore up and down that there was a world of difference just by crossing an imaginary line.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Make sure it is the kind mixed and fried with the cornmeal instead of those tatertot looking things you see most places.

Yeah, really heavily battered okra is just an abomination. There are some things I like battered (not many), but okra is not improved by going beyond a light dusting of corn meal. The light dusting counteracts the slime factor perfectly.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I went to graduate school at UVA with a guy who grew up in Texas, Alabama, and Louisiana. All these kids from the Washington suburbs thought they were so Southern. He said Virginia is just a "Boahdah state." I had a good friend who grew up for the most part in the northern part of Virginia who'd lived for a year just over the border in Maryland, about 30 miles from her home in VA. She said she'd never live "in the north" again. Swore up and down that there was a world of difference just by crossing an imaginary line.

My bro was in the Air Force for 20 years, so I got to visit a number of different places based on where he was stationed. He was on loan to the DoD for a while and worked in DC, they lived in Fairfax, VA. Definitely didn't feel like the south to me. We did a hike to the Great Falls of the Potomac, could see Maryland on the other side of the river. Didn't really look any different over there. :rolleyes:

My only real trip to the south was when he was in Tullahoma, TN. We also visited Nashville and Chattanooga. I think that counts as the real south.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom