OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: How Southern Are You? A Quiz

Reaction Score
...and where's the black eyed peas, collard greens, turnips, hamhocks, and hambones?

Hoppin' John is black eyed peas and rice.

Hoe Cakes should be on this list, too. It's basically fried cornbread with a slightly sweeter taste but it's SO much better than just plain old cornbread. I fry mine in a cast iron skillet that has been passed down generation to generation since long, long, long ago. (We really do fry everything down here. LOL)

ETA: Extra credit questions should be:

1. What is the ONLY brand of mayo 99.9% of authentic Southerners will ever buy? (Dukes is the right answer)
2. Mustard or Vinegar? (If you don't know what this question is referring to you are automatically disqualified from Southern consideration)

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Hoe Cakes should be on this list, too. It's basically fried cornbread with a slightly sweeter taste but it's SO much better than just plain old cornbread. I fry mine in a cast iron skillet that has been passed down generation to generation since long, long, long ago. (We really do fry everything down here. LOL)

1. What is the ONLY brand of mayo 99.9% of authentic Southerners will ever buy? (Dukes is the right answer)
2. Mustard or Vinegar? (If you don't know what this question is referring to you are automatically disqualified from Southern consideration)
I love hoppin‘ John. My daughter loves all kinds of beans except blackeyed peas and chickpeas, so no hoppin‘ John and no chana masala (sour Indian chickpeas) when she’s around.

2). vinegar, although my favorite is Memphis.

Reaction Score
I love hoppin‘ John. My daughter loves all kinds of beans except blackeyed peas and chickpeas, so no hoppin‘ John and no chana masala (sour Indian chickpeas) when she’s around.

2). vinegar, although my favorite is Memphis.
If vinegar, you'd like Craig's at Devalls Bluff, AR. I too prefer a sweeter sauce, like typical Memphis and eastern Arkansas sauce.

Reaction Score
How about Frito Pie? I've always thought of it as a southern thang. Especially with Wolf Brand Chili mixed in the single serving Fritos bag.

Coke/Dr Pepper with a small bag of salted peanuts added. We ate/drank those like crazy when I was a teenager.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Your are very brave coming on here with that Hurricane avatar in Hartford Whaler's home :p

Well at least i didnt use this ;)

wg5uHX4.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

That hoppin John.. New years day item.. I dont partake.

Hoe cake... No comment..

Mustard dont belong near pork

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is why we refer to NC as Yankee Carolina. :p

Seriously, mustard only belongs on hot dogs, fried bologna sandwiches, a bit in potato salad, and a few drops on a Jersey Mike Italian sub.

I'm willing to try some BBQ mustard... but I doubt I would like it.

Reaction Score
Seriously, mustard only belongs on hot dogs, fried bologna sandwiches, a bit in potato salad, and a few drops on a Jersey Mike Italian sub.

I'm willing to try some BBQ mustard... but I doubt I would like it.
It's actually really good. It's kind of sweet. Doesn't taste like mustard from a mustard bottle at all and isn't yellow like mustard. I'll eat either Vinegar or Mustard but I prefer Mustard. It's actually called "Carolina Gold" sauce in SC but I would recommend trying it at least once.

Reaction Score
Mom was from the south and we’d vacation there every summer.
I’ve picked and barned tobacco, dug potatoes with a mule drawn plow, picked cotton, pulled peanuts, loaded watermelons at the patch and tractored the over to the pig pen.
And am still a Yankee, I guess.
Mom loved souse, head cheese (?) and pickled pigs feet.
Some items I loved are missing (black eye peas, dry sausage, peach preserves, banana pudding) but a lot of them were a no-go for me.

Reaction Score
Mom was from the south and we’d vacation there every summer.
I’ve picked and barned tobacco, dug potatoes with a mule drawn plow, picked cotton, pulled peanuts, loaded watermelons at the patch and tractored the over to the pig pen.
And am still a Yankee, I guess.
Mom loved souse, head cheese (?) and pickled pigs feet.
Some items I loved are missing (black eye peas, dry sausage, peach preserves, banana pudding) but a lot of them were a no-go for me.
Yes, souse and head cheese are the same thing! Those older southerners ate lots of pork, but with the lifestyle they led, it didn't hurt them. Folks nowadays are too sedentary.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yes, souse and head cheese are the same thing! Those older southerners ate lots of pork, but with the lifestyle they led, it didn't hurt them. Folks nowadays are too sedentary.
' Folks nowadays are too sedentary.'

truer words never spoken.

Reaction Score
Y'all are trippin'.
I mean they DO have "North" before Carolina. We are "South." So technically, they are geographically the Yankee Carolina. Their very name supports my premise. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom