How running backs Durell Robinson, Mel Brown paced UConn’s offense as it set records vs. FAU | The Boneyard

How running backs Durell Robinson, Mel Brown paced UConn’s offense as it set records vs. FAU

Reaction Score

-> UConn is an outside zone running team, which requires patience as blocks are picked up and a hole is opened for some running room. “And then you put your foot in the ground and you get vertical,” Mora said. “The best outside zone teams are the teams that have backs who can do that. They can be patient at the line of scrimmage, they understand where the hole is going to open up and when it does, they put their foot in the ground and get vertical.”

The Huskies have four different running backs who’ve shown they can effectively move the ball <-

-> Last week, it was Norwalk native Cam Edwards who was called on to be the workhorse against Duke. Edwards ran 21 times for 106 yards and a touchdown, earning some rest as the team returned home, and was tapped for only seven carries and 30 yards Saturday. Victor Rosa, who had surgery on a broken finger on Sept. 11, stood on the sideline without pads for the second week in a row. Before the year, running backs coach Antonio Wilcox made sure his talented group understood that sometimes it might just be someone else’s day. <-

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying I expect Robinson to be the guy by the end of the season. Even in limited work before Saturday he looked like me knew what to do with the football. That was confirmed against FAU.

Reaction Score

-> Three of the Huskies' four main running backs — Cam Edwards, Durell Robinson, and Mel Brown — have already had 100-yard games. The fourth, Victor Rosa, has missed the last two games with a broken finger that required surgery but had over 1,000 yards in his first two seasons here. <-

-> "Running the ball in our system is not just the offensive line," Mora said. "It's the tight end, the receivers blocking down field, the backs making their cuts and the quarterbacks making great decisions. We all need to play better. The offensive line, in general, has played well especially with three new starters. As a whole, it's a real good group." <-

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying I expect Robinson to be the guy by the end of the season. Even in limited work before Saturday he looked like me knew what to do with the football. That was confirmed against FAU.
They are all good. Rosa would have had 150 plus yards, he is an explosive player.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Rosa will be itching to play this week even though he likely needs more time to heal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom