How much money will UConn save by cutting four sports? It’s complicated. (Courant) | The Boneyard

How much money will UConn save by cutting four sports? It’s complicated. (Courant)

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Swim and Dive teams cut? That has to save at least $120,000, including coach salary, all travel expenses, apportioned expense of operating the pool, swim suits and sweats, a towel or two....

Pretty much a symbolic rounding error in terms of actual budget impact.

(Expecting Fishy to chime in on this)

Reaction Score
Swim and Dive teams cut? That has to save at least $120,000, including coach salary, all travel expenses, apportioned expense of operating the pool, swim suits and sweats, a towel or two....

Pretty much a symbolic rounding error in terms of actual budget impact.

(Expecting Fishy to chime in on this)
Cutting men's swimming and diving was not symbolic. When UConn cut the scholarships for women's rowing, they had to cut a similar number of men's scholarships due to Title IX.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Cutting men's swimming and diving was not symbolic. When UConn cut the scholarships for women's rowing, they had to cut a similar number of men's scholarships due to Title IX.
So, only men's swimming and diving were cut? Women's swimming and diving are still active?

Sounds fair, I guess, if you say so.....still, the dollar value to the restructured athletic budget does 't seem to move the needle 'very much. In my opinion.

(Full disclosure: I was on the swim team when I attended UConn. Non-scholarship. Our budget was microscopic.)

Reaction Score
What now with the pool? You cant sell the pool so now we have a pool with no team? Can you break even based on non college events there? I get it that the complaining is limited based on eliminating swimming but to actually save real money you need to cut a sport that makes people cringe. Otherwise it is just for show.

Reaction Score
What now with the pool? You cant sell the pool so now we have a pool with no team? Can you break even based on non college events there? I get it that the complaining is limited based on eliminating swimming but to actually save real money you need to cut a sport that makes people cringe. Otherwise it is just for show.
Non athlete students like to swim too?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
My neighbors have had an empty pool for years. I'll have to ask them if they have any suggestions.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's getting so real, an Ivy with a multibillion dollar endowment is cutting 11 varsity sports. Big sports too- skiing, squash, equestrian and a few others are all being downgraded to club status. Fortunately women's sailing and coed sailing are going from club to varsity status.

Men’s and women’s fencing, men’s and women’s golf, women’s skiing, men’s and women’s squash, women’s equestrian, men’s indoor track and field, men’s outdoor track and field and men’s cross country will all transition to club status. Women’s sailing and coed sailing will transition from club to varsity status.

Reaction Score
It's getting so real, an Ivy with a multibillion dollar endowment is cutting 11 varsity sports. Big sports too- skiing, squash, equestrian and a few others are all being downgraded to club status. Fortunately women's sailing and coed sailing are going from club to varsity status.

Men’s and women’s fencing, men’s and women’s golf, women’s skiing, men’s and women’s squash, women’s equestrian, men’s indoor track and field, men’s outdoor track and field and men’s cross country will all transition to club status. Women’s sailing and coed sailing will transition from club to varsity status.

...and now being threatened with a lawsuit:

>It is the hope of the coalition that we represent that the University will immediately reconsider its actions for the affected teams, as it has with respect to the Men’s Cross Country and Track and Field teams. No one wants a legal battle if it can be avoided. To that end, we invite the University to engage in immediate settlement discussions with the coalition so that the parties can attempt to resolve this matter amicably and without legal proceedings. However, time is of the essence and, while we await your response, we reserve all of the Student-Athletes’ legal rights and remind the University of its obligation to ensure that all evidence—including all electronically stored information—relevant to this matter is preserved.<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom