How many yes votes do you think we have so far? | The Boneyard

How many yes votes do you think we have so far?

How many yes votes do you think we have so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
My personal tab:
Texas-no
Texas Tech-no
TCU-no
Baylor-no
Iowa State-no
Oklahoma-no
Oklahoma St-no
Kansas-yes
Kansas St.-yes
WVU-yes

I have 3, well short of the 8 required. I think we might be able to convince Oklahoma given they might like to have another flagship in the conference, and that could bring Okie lite with them.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Here's mine:
Texas-no
Texas Tech-no
TCU-no
Baylor-no
Iowa State- yes
Oklahoma- yes
Oklahoma St- yes
Kansas-yes
Kansas St.-yes
WVU-yes

All those outside of Texas, say aye. All those inside of Texas, nay.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here's mine:
Texas-no
Texas Tech-no
TCU-no
Baylor-no
Iowa State- yes
Oklahoma- yes
Oklahoma St- yes
Kansas-yes
Kansas St.-yes
WVU-yes

+1.

The problem is, I suspect that Cincinnati and BYU are around 6 votes too.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
+1.

The problem is, I suspect that Cincinnati and BYU are around 6 votes too.

Agree, and I suspect it's exactly the same six. Until someone from that group of six allows Houston, no one from the other group of four will place a single vote for Cincinnati, BYU or UConn. Not that they wouldn't vote yes on any of these three eventually, and not that they even dislike any of these three, but in order to strike a compromise so the other six will support their choice, someone will need to blink first. Who blinks first?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's mine:
Texas-no
Texas Tech-no
TCU-no
Baylor-no
Iowa State- yes
Oklahoma- yes
Oklahoma St- yes
Kansas-yes
Kansas St.-yes
WVU-yes

I would say this is about accurate. I *think* TCU and maybe Baylor could be coerced. Although I want to say Texas could be persuaded if the discussion shifts back to academics. Because I doubt that, I think the Texas private are our best hope. I think back to when David Benedict was hired and the glowing remarks that Chris Del Conte made about it. I'm hoping that greases up the Texas privates enough to 2 more and get us to 8.

Reaction Score
All I know is we BETTER have OU on our side or it's not happening. But the reports indicate that no school has the 8 votes which I think makes 14 more and more feasible. From there, we're battling with Memphis and UCF. I'd still like our chances with that scenario but the kick would be twice as brutal.

Reaction Score
Do they actually vote? My guess is that UConn is in. My guess is that UConn has been in from day 1. It is why our administration has been so silent and almost dismissive of what is at stake. It is why they have been few whispers from Big 12 land and the Chip Brown's of the world. UConn is the one school that remains a threat to be poached. Why hype them up? On the other hand, why be so vocal from the beginning about a school like Houston? Its simple. Houston is UTs control mechanism. It aides their ability to totally control what goes on. In the end, I believe that there is a greater chance of the Big12 not expanding than there is UConn being left out.

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a NO.

As for Chip Brown's whispers, he says Memphis is in.

Reaction Score
All I know is we BETTER have OU on our side or it's not happening. But the reports indicate that no school has the 8 votes which I think makes 14 more and more feasible. From there, we're battling with Memphis and UCF. I'd still like our chances with that scenario but the kick would be twice as brutal.

No combination of two schools has 8 votes. I think that's an important distinction. I think Cincinnati has 8, but no one else has more than 6 and the reason Flug thinks they go to 14 is because there's too many factions, thus #12 is split up. So to get to get 8 votes for enough schools they have to do the "horse trading."

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe Texas & Oklahoma (the only schools that really matter) have us above all other candidates (as does Kansas). I also believe Baylor, OK St & Iowa St are against us out of fear they'll eventually be surpassed (but can eventually be strong armed by one of the two big boys). The remaining schools are either already on our side or close enough to vote yes.

pj

Reaction Score
Texas-yes
Texas Tech-yes
TCU-yes
Baylor-yes
Iowa State-yes
Oklahoma-yes
Oklahoma St-yes
Kansas-yes
Kansas St.-yes
WVU-yes

They don't vote until the contract is agreed and finalized and ready to be signed. Then the vote is unanimous.

Reaction Score
There a few supposedly connected saying they are the 4th. Wouldn't surprise me, they have a strong recruiting area, better proximity to B12, larger football stadium and the supposed Fed Ex connection and $$.

Iowa State is a NO.

As for Chip Brown's whispers, he says Memphis is in.

Reaction Score
There a few supposedly connected saying they are the 4th. Wouldn't surprise me, they have a strong recruiting area, better proximity to B12, larger football stadium and the supposed Fed Ex connection and $$.

Adding Memphis does nothing for B12 recruiting. Larger stadium with fewer fans. Fedex stuff has already been debunked.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, I am firmly in the camp that if Memphis is added over us, I'm out following this sh--.

Worse academics? Check.
Worse athletics? Check.
Worse market? Check.
Worse fanbase? Check.
No market ownership? Check.

The ONLY asset they bring is FedEx. If I am the Big 12, I say "give us a gazillion bazillion (name your number) dollars and Memphis is in". There is no negotiation. This is 100% bribe money - so wipe them out because if they say no, a better candidate gets in anyway.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Trying to understand the hive mind of the XII is like trying to understand the mind of a crazy person.

We can't know because they don't know in spite of the choice being obvious and their partners trying to show them the way.

If UT wants to bolt, then max short term cash or do nothing.

If OU is thinking it might bolt if this doesn't work, then max short term cash and add as many potential non UT lackeys as possible.

If you are one of the L8, then pick the best 4 TV partners for the next contract.

If your world revolves around being a UT lackey, then you just keep doing you until you end up in the Mountain West.

Reaction Score
Trying to understand the hive mind of the XII is like trying to understand the mind of a crazy person.

We can't know because they don't know in spite of the choice being obvious and their partners trying to show them the way.

If UT wants to bolt, then max short term cash or do nothing.

If OU is thinking it might bolt if this doesn't work, then max short term cash and add as many potential non UT lackeys as possible.

If you are one of the L8, then pick the best 4 TV partners for the next contract.

If your world revolves around being a UT lackey, then you just keep doing you until you end up in the Mountain West.
If UT and OU know they are bolting, the Big 12 won't expand and they will negotiate more money not to. If Big 12 expands with hope of preserving league, UConn is in. I only see those two options as real.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If UT and OU know they are bolting, the Big 12 won't expand and they will negotiate more money not to. If Big 12 expands with hope of preserving league, UConn is in. I only see those two options as real.

There is preserving the league and having the pieces to survive a serious hit. Preservation depends on cash. If the XII (UT and OU) can get SEC level cash and get into the playoff anytime they win the league, then it is preserved.

If that isn't or is less likely then the next best thing is for the L8 to have a viable league for TV money should the two big draws leave.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but that's the BS they'll be pushing

They'll also claim they can raise their academic profile if they are a member, same lies Cincy and Houston will pump

Adding Memphis does nothing for B12 recruiting. Larger stadium with fewer fans. Fedex stuff has already been debunked.

Reaction Score
I think we're clearly a better program overall than Memphis, and the B12 knows that, too, but the problem is, this isn't in a vacuum of Pure Value. Geography may not be the factor, but it's certainly a factor. If you're not going football-only, that's a lot of lacrosse flights to Storrs, and it all adds up and turns into a scheduling headache.

Plus, the idea that FedEx doesn't matter is silly. Could Nike technically fund Oregon? Of course not. But Phil Knight could and did. T. Boone Pickens certainly helped Okie State. Wealthy donors can be a huge boon to a program and if you're on the fence about two programs, you might think, well, gosh, this FedEx guy could maybe turn Memphis into a Okie St Lite.

Again, I think objectively, we're the better program, but the geography and recent lack of football success could really be enormous dealbreakers for us at the moment, and tearing down Memphis as such a ridiculous pick seems naive to me.

Reaction Score
I think Texas could be a yes just based on our previous basketball series, academic standing and the fact that our leadership has taken a pragmatic approach to the process. But other factors come into play.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I am firmly in the camp that if Memphis is added over us, I'm out following this sh--.

Worse academics? Check.
Worse athletics? Check.
Worse market? Check.
Worse fanbase? Check.
No market ownership? Check.

The ONLY asset they bring is FedEx. If I am the Big 12, I say "give us a gazillion bazillion (name your number) dollars and Memphis is in". There is no negotiation. This is 100% bribe money - so wipe them out because if they say no, a better candidate gets in anyway.

Rule 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger