Poll - How many Yarders Actually Went to UConn? | The Boneyard

Poll - How many Yarders Actually Went to UConn?

How many Yarders Actually Went to UConn?

• Yes. Graduated w/ Undergrad.

Votes: 174 48.2%
  • Yes. Graduated w/ Undergrad and post-secondary degrees.

Votes: 32 8.9%
  • Yes. Only for graduate school

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Yes. Attended, but did not graduate from the school.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • No.

Votes: 123 34.1%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I was accepted, but didn’t end up going. Almost transferred there later, but stuck it out where I started.

Reaction Score
I was a UConn fan since I was 11. It was my dram to go there. Dreams unless proceeded by effort are just phantasy. (only my spell check knew fantasy could correctly be spelled with a ph)
I actually visited the campus a couple of years later when I went with my Dad to bring my cousin ,a football player there. I did have ice cream there , if that counts.
I wasn’t the most mature or disciplined student in the world in HS however I was good enough in class rank and SAT scores.
However my Dad took me aside and told me I wouldn’t last a semester there . He was right of course but in that short time I Ike to believe my legend would have been established.
Later in my life when. I finally somewhat grew up ,a fact disputed by some., my company financed my participation in an extensive multi week seminar at UConn.
Im counting that as fulfilling my boyhood dream.
I did manage a long struggle for a BS degree (different school ) plus a bunch of letters after my name telling everyone i was a real professional.
The thing is I found something I loved discovered I was real good at it and worked my butt off to become the best I could possibly be.
Other than taking care of your teeth ,and wearing good shoes that’s the only words of advise I can give for someone trying to find their way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fan since Corny T days. Went upstate NY undergrad.

Daughter #1 class of '10; 1 semester ahead of her class of '11. And we are at Sox game in Houston as we speak.

Still tons of George jerseys here. My Emily had numerous classes with him and they always said hello to one another whenever they saw here in TX.

Not much of a UConn alumni club here. George would show now and then and from what I am told, paid the whole tab at a bar for Husky alumni at 1 meeting.

Musta dropped a good $400

Reaction Score
Before I attended UConn I lived in Bethel, CT. While I was a big sports fan during my teen years, I never followed UConn athletics, as you never got much news at that time of UConn sports in western Connecticut during the 1970's. I really caught the UConn sports bug as a freshman in Storrs.

Reaction Score

"Graduated w/ Undergrad and post-secondary degrees" - isn't this redundant?​

post-secondary means college... lol

Reaction Score
I’m surprised (not sure why) that so many yarders aren’t grads. I guess I just assumed people gained their allegiance through attending. Maybe that’s because UConn was generally looked down upon (as a safety school) where/when I went to high school. It also might explain why so many yarders care about UConn athletics above other things such as academics and societal impact.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Lived in CT all my life after moving here at age 7. Went to college in NYC. Really got into the Huskies during the late 70's listening to the Arnold Dean Radio show (1080) during the Yankees /Red Sox great rivalry years and also NY Giants. It was at that time that the talk show pulled me into Uconn with talk about Corny Thompson and the Big East which started in 1979. Very exciting time for sports in New England.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised (not sure why) that so many yarders aren’t grads. I guess I just assumed people gained their allegiance through attending. Maybe that’s because UConn was generally looked down upon (as a safety school) where/when I went to high school. It also might explain why so many yarders care about UConn athletics above other things such as academics and societal impact.
"Safety school" status largely depends on your major. Mine was technical and the school was highly ranked, so I don't subscribe to UConn being in any way a secondary or safety school.

My grade point average would confirm that evaluation, by the way, as it in no way matched my SAT, GRE or ATGSB scores.

Reaction Score
"Safety school" status largely depends on your major. Mine was technical and the school was highly ranked, so I don't subscribe to UConn being in any way a secondary or safety school.

My grade point average would confirm that evaluation, by the way, as it in no way matched my SAT, GRE or ATGSB scores.
I agree with you Watchdog. I was merely pointing out the perception in my community. It wasn’t fair, but UConn was definitely looked down upon in Fairfield County in the 80s. No one “wanted” to go to UConn. It was were you ended up if you couldn’t get in where you wanted. Again, this was just the perception. The reality was, even back then, getting in was harder than people gave it credit.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

This is my situation. I grew up in CT and became a UConn fan soon after Calhoun took over. I chose a private college due to my engineering major over UConn, and like many of my classmates wanted to get a bit further away from home. I actually met and became friends with a few UConn fans (from CT) at my school.

The funny thing is that most of the UConn grads from my high school are of the casual fan types, and I am more die hard then they are. In any case, the point is you don't have to graduate from UConn to be a big time fan . And for those that became fans during the dream season, I'm sure a very special bond was made there at that point.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Didn’t attend UCONN, but grew up here and became a fan at a young age watching “it’s late, it’s Tate, it’s great!”... been a loyal fan since and went to a small D3 college that never tested my allegiance.

Reaction Score
Only school I applied to.
Funny, same for me. Only caveat is UConn was the only American school I applied to. Needed affordable options so McGill was my reach. They ignore SATs (mine were good) and scoffed at my GPA (not bad, but not close to McGill standards).

I'm so thankful for keeping the college applications simple. So much less stress in high school than most kids in my school.

Reaction Score
This is my situation. I grew up in CT and became a UConn fan soon after Calhoun took over. I chose a private college due to my engineering major over UConn, and like many of my classmates wanted to get a bit further away from home. I actually met and became friends with a few UConn fans (from CT) at my school.

The funny thing is that most of the UConn grads from my high school are of the casual fan types, and I am more die hard then they are. In any case, the point is you don't have to graduate from UConn to be a big time fan . And for those that became fans during the dream season, I'm sure a very special bond was made there at that point.
What are you trying to say about UConn engineers?!

Reaction Score
When I began life in the Jungle Wes Bialosuknia was in his senior year.

Reaction Score
Did not go to UConn. Been going to games since the early 80s. My father is class of '68 and grew up in Middletown. I still have family all over Middlesex County.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
What are you trying to say about UConn engineers?!
Not saying anything. Just a personal decision to attend a top tier engineering school further away from home.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I come from a UConn family. Dad went there, wife went there, b-i-l went there. I graduated '78.

Reaction Score
I graduated in 1975 on the five year plan (actually four and a half), two and a half in Hartford and the final two years in Storrs. I earned a BS in Home Economics. Majored in Child Development which has been a tremendous help on the Boneyard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom