How many sportswriters/poll participants think. | The Boneyard

How many sportswriters/poll participants think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have had a continuing private correspondence via email with a sportswriter in a large city (not in Connecticut) whose specialty is wcbb. As such, he is among those who are routinely called upon to participate in various polls (e.g., team rankings, All-American selections, etc.).

When his preview of the upcoming season was published we had a little back-and-forth about it -- specifically, his AA predictions. I questioned him about a couple selections and suggested a few players he may have overlooked (including Bria). His response was to the effect that he had, after all, been quite fair to UConn, since he had named two (KML and Stewie) to his AA team.

My point is that this (admittedly anectotally) seems to confirm what many of us have long suspected: Two AA's is max for any single team. In other words: "Tough luck, Bria and Stef -- KML and Stewie have filled the UConn quota this year for AA's."

Anybody who ever said life is fair got it wrong.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - interesting and I would ask 5 member or 10 member team - I think it would be hard to justify three on a 5 member team just based on the overall talent in the country. When you go out to a ten member team it becomes easier to think of three or even four. Part of that is that stats do play a part in evaluation and with a team of that many great players the stats get shared and then the intangibles need to just jump off the page. Again - tough to have 3 or 4 players with those kinds of intangibles that stand out.
This is certainly a year that Uconn could ask that question:
Guard - Bria if she continues will have both really good stats and really good intangibles
Wing - KML is one of the best players in the country if she comes back strong
Forward - Stewie - the same if she stays consistent
Center - Stef - who in the competition and will they beat her out.

If Uconn runs the table in impressive fashion and the above four play to the level they have played before (or for Stewie, maintain the consistency for the full year) I could see four on the ten member team. But it is very early, KML is currently injured, and we will have to see.

Scary thought is the rest of the team has three additional future AA candidates and if Kiah really does get it this year, she could make the number four or even 5!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom