OT: How many of you are/were players/coaches? | The Boneyard

OT: How many of you are/were players/coaches?

Reaction Score
Despite the negativity, there's a pretty good group of bball minds on here for the most part.

Who's a coach? What level? Just curious.

Walked on a d2 school in college, played in hs.

I coach a middle school and JV team. Offered a few varsity positions this year, but decided to turn it down because I'm young. I am a trainer in the off-season and work at some national-level camps over the summer. Obviously would prefer to not say where for privacies sake.

Reaction Score
Played for a good d3 program then coached my own aau team for a few years with the same kids from about ages 11 to 16. Would love to coach again but I no longer have enough free time.

Reaction Score
Very solid HS PG known for being a great long range shooter. Unfortunately it was before the 3P shot. Would have made me far more valuable.

Now I coach U11 girls

Reaction Score
Played for American International in Springfield. Tried out for the Celtics. Coached in HS in Connecticut and Mass. Coached the Northeastern Huskies. Coached the UCONN Huskies. Took a few years off to work for ESPN. Currently coaching DIII St Josephs - Chief

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I played in HS in small town ct and was a rebounding and shot blocking guy at 6-2....so yeah didn’t play in college (who needs a 6-2 center?) but I did get recruited by the coach at my D3 school to play basketball (I transferred there to play Baseball, which was always my sport...I played a pickup game with him and some classmates over the summer).

Also random, a D3 school football coach saw me play basketball and wanted me to play football for them (haven’t played football since 5th grade).

Now I referee basketball for one of the local referee boards. Mostly travel ball and some AAU.

Reaction Score
Played for American International in Springfield. Tried out for the Celtics. Coached in HS in Connecticut and Mass. Coached the Northeastern Huskies. Coached the UCONN Huskies. Took a few years off to work for ESPN. Currently coaching DIII St Josephs - Chief
I remember you. Tom Penders had you for lunch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have run the clock and kept score for the teams on which two of my daughters played from third grade through sixth grade.

I will kick all your asses in H-O-R-S-E.

Reaction Score
What a dumb question. We all here on the boneyard coached and played at D1.
I myself played at UCLA for Wooden.
Then coached the the Bulls when Jorden was there.

Funny.

But honestly, there are a lot of armchair coaches here and probably a small fraction (less than 1 percent) who even coach and a fraction of that come even close to D1 or a similar level. You always read people who know how to run Ollies offense better than Ollie. Just watch the game!

I'm not a coach, but I don't pretend to be, either!!
And we all thank you for it and hope that attitude spreads!

Reaction Score
Best thread of the week, a lot of hoop experience on our board.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But honestly, there are a lot of armchair coaches here and probably a small fraction (less than 1 percent) who even coach and a fraction of that come even close to D1 or a similar level. You always read people who know how to run Ollies offense better than Ollie. Just watch the game!

If we just watched the game, why bother even discussing the team? Half of sport fandom is being an armchair quarterback.

And you don't need to be a former player or coach to be a good analyst. See Zach Lowe. There's a lot of wholly unathletic guys that are fantastic analysts. The follow on is a lot of former coaches and players are horrible analysts.

EDIT: played and coached several other sports (soccer/hockey/lacrosse), but not bball outside of pickup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Played/still play, coached, and reffed, but my best skill is screaming at the TV during games.

Gus Johnson makes a decent living screaming into the mic during games. Maybe there's a future for me there.

Reaction Score
I think my avatar speaks volumes as to my vast experience on the court and the heights that I reached as a bench player on our intramural championship team. Since clearly none of you can touch that I'll move on to my coaching experience. I have read this board. In the course of doing so I have learned everything about running an offense, defensive pressure, hedging, hedgehogs, the art of the timeout, how and when to yank a player out of the game and yell at them, all about in bounds plays, when I'm supposed to be mad at the ref and when that is taken too far, how to recruit (you just offer them, right?), why I should show more energy during games otherwise I don't want to win, and other valuable lessons. This experience is really all I need to claim that I know more than pretty much all of you.

Reaction Score
I'm not a coach, but I don't pretend to be, either!!
If we just watched the game, why bother even discussing the team? Half of sport fandom is being an armchair quarterback.

And you don't need to be a former player or coach to be a good analyst. See Zach Lowe. There's a lot of wholly unathletic are fantastic analysts. The follow on is a lot of former coaches and players are horrible analysts.

EDIT: played and coached several other sports (soccer/hockey/lacrosse), but not bball outside of pickup.
Fair enough. But coaching is way harder than some of these people make it. Hey, I have evolved a lot in just two years. You could probably find a post where I disparge some coach, maybe even Ollie, I admit it. But I have realized it is not easy at all as of late. A positive armchair coach is one thing, but some of these negative armchair coaches who ALSO have no hope to evolve past that negativity, at that, are another thing.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Was paid scout for two DII teams way before the internet made in-person scouting almost obsolete exception of DI MBB programs.

Was DII/DII ref in New England/Southeastern NY for 12 years - loved it, stopped when I needed in-line skates to keep up with pace of game.

Reaction Score
Fortunately played for a great coach on the Meriden Boys Club team from 11-13 we played Jr Pro tourneys every year state, region, nationally - placed 3rd when 12 yrs old in the country at Rupp Arena. Played HS against the likes of Bruce Kuczienski, Corney and the Middletown team, Tony Gonzalez of Pulaski, Leron Williams Torrington and so many other very good players. Also community college vs Al Fredericks from Mattutuck at the time and many other good players in the NortheastMetro area. Played many summer leagues until about 32 - moved to WesMass and played at Hubbard Park a little in Springfield and also Enfield with some good WesMass players but an already fairly slow 6' foot white guy who loses a step is worthless at this point even if he can shoot and pass, never fn open LOL.

Coached that same Meriden BC team for a couple years in the Jr Pro league when I was out of college and had fun with it for sure. But I will say the amount I learned form my Boys Club coach when young I have carried throughout all of my years. We were hammered with fundamentals and were the smartest team every time we went on the court, and the most organized team too. "Gator" went on to be a very good HS coach at Lyman Hall and had more to offer but not the passion anymore he was still young. Former Fairfield Stag captain in the 60's-70's for Barakat.

Reaction Score
Also community college vs Al Fredericks from Mattutuck at the time and many other good players in the NortheastMetro area.
Hey Mau, did you play against Mattituck (Now Naugatuck Valley), if so, when.? They were coached by the great Bob Ruderman who was my freshman BB coach at Wolcott HS in '68. He was so young we were kinda buddies. He's now a real estate agent in Florida.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom