How many guards do we need? | The Boneyard

How many guards do we need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No disrespect to the solid available backcourt kids that have been mentioned lately whatsoever... We need another serviceable big, preferrably one that can make a lay up or slam dunk on a putback every once in awhile...or we can pass the ball to him in the post when he's open and he can turn and shoot.. again, every once in awhile... We got kids on our frontcourt that get happy feet and play hot potato with the basketball at point blank range.. IMO, that's a big problem for us... If you're 6'7/6'8 and up and play anywhere near the post for us, you gotta convert in traffic sometimes...

Reaction Score
Hamilton figures to play the 4, Nolan shouldn't regress, Amida and Facey should improve, but Lubin's development is in question for next season. In order to get the ball to the bigs you need the guards, and I am not at all comfortable with the though of Samuel and Purvis being the only guys to spell Adams. I'm very much in favor of adding two guards to make sure we can handle the ball at a level conducive to making the final four.

As for adding bigs, who can we realistically add that would change the dynamics of the frontcourt? Stone obviously, but he isn't coming. I don't expect their to be any bigs available as grad transfers who are good enough to bolster our frontline but yet not good enough to play professionally. Besides, I'd rather grab two guys we want than wait and see what the transfer market looks like.

Reaction Score
Barring transfers or injuries, we'll go 5-deep at center & PF. Enoch will be raw, but he's got size (6-foot-10, 225), length (7-foot-3 wingspan) and a jump shot. He could provide a significant depth upgrade at both spots, and hopefully natural improvement from the other four guys will take care of the rest.

Re: guards, consensus is that we need another pure ball-handler (Carter, Smith or Hardnett). I don't think it's pressing, but general rule of thumb is you can't have enough lead guards in college - especially ones who will be around for four years.

That leaves one spot, which will hopefully be taken by Bruce Brown. While he doesn't fill an immediate need, he's a long, athletic defensive stopper who can play the 2 or the 3. We don't say "no" to four-star talent like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom