How many games will UCONN lose this year? | The Boneyard

How many games will UCONN lose this year?

How many games will UCONN lose this year?

Votes: 10 9.9%

Votes: 6 5.9%

Votes: 30 29.7%

Votes: 26 25.7%

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • 5+

Votes: 10 9.9%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've posted threads like this a couple of times in the past...just wanted to see what fans expect going into this year. Looking at the schedule, it's a bit lighter than it has been the past couple of years and there are only a couple of teams that should pose as threats to the Huskies. UCONN has never lost an AAC game, and none of the teams appear to be imposing so I'm assuming that UCONN will sweep through the AAC regardless of who they play home/away and in the tournament. So here's the non-conference schedule:

vs. Ohio State, easy win. OSU is going to be atrocious this year.
vs. Southern Connecticut, easy win.
at Vanderbilt, easy win. Vandy was awful this past year.
vs. Ole Miss, easy win. Ole Miss had a mass exodus of players and isn't going to be competitive.
vs. St. Johns, easy win. They were a WNIT team a year ago and finished 19-15.
vs. Purdue, easy win. Purdue isn't expected to be very good.
vs. Depaul, win. I don't think Depaul has ever beat UCONN and isn't expected to be a top threat.
at Notre Dame, toss up. This is clearly the most difficult game on the schedule. This game will likely be #1 ND vs. #2 UCONN...and UCONN handily beat the Irish in 2014 and 2016 when it was the same situation. Toss up game for me, but this is the game UCONN is most likely to lose.
at St. Louis, easy win
vs. Seton Hall, easy win
at Oklahoma, easy win. Oklahoma has consistently underachieved for several years now.
at Cal, easy win. Anigwe is good but Cal isn't.
at Baylor, toss up. I actually think UCONN will have a more difficult time at Baylor than they will at ND. Baylor has ample size and they tend to play quite well at home. If UCONN beats ND, I think they lose this one, but if they lose to ND, they beat Baylor here.

at Louisville, win. Walz did a great job last year with Louisville, but they've never been able to compete with the Huskies. I don't see that changing this year. Geno has always schooled Walz. Louisville has a shot, but I personally don't see it happening.

vs. South Carolina, win. SC should be a solid top 10 or top 15 team this year, but Dawn has never been able to give Geno a competitive game even when she had Wilson for 4 years. I don't see SC hanging with the Huskies, especially in Storrs.

NCAA Tournament, potential loss here depending on how the season pans out.

So based on all of that, best case scenario Huskies run the table, and worst case scenario they drop games to Baylor, ND, Louisville and in the tournament giving them 4 losses. I'll go out on a limb and predict 1...not sure if it's in the tournament or regular season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice analysis. The games on the road vs ND, Baylor & Louisville will all be tough, and eventually UConn will have a battle during the Big Dance. That’s a potential of 4 losses. I’m banking on Geno and his team figuring out a way to win 2 of those games. Hoping that the losses all take place during the regular season.

Reaction Score
I predict 5 losses. Two will be Geno engineering to give the bench PT and lower pressure.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I've posted threads like this a couple of times in the past...just wanted to see what fans expect going into this year. Looking at the schedule, it's a bit lighter than it has been the past couple of years and there are only a couple of teams that should pose as threats to the Huskies. UCONN has never lost an AAC game, and none of the teams appear to be imposing so I'm assuming that UCONN will sweep through the AAC regardless of who they play home/away and in the tournament. So here's the non-conference schedule:

vs. Ole Miss, easy win. Ole Miss had a mass exodus of players and isn't going to be competitive.
vs. Depaul, win. I don't think Depaul has ever beat UCONN and isn't expected to be a top threat.
at Notre Dame, toss up. This is clearly the most difficult game on the schedule. This game will likely be #1 ND vs. #2 UCONN...and UCONN handily beat the Irish in 2014 and 2016 when it was the same situation. Toss up game for me, but this is the game UCONN is most likely to lose.
at St. Louis, easy win
vs. Seton Hall, easy win
at Oklahoma, easy win. Oklahoma has consistently underachieved for several years now.
at Baylor, toss up. I actually think UCONN will have a more difficult time at Baylor than they will at ND. Baylor has ample size and they tend to play quite well at home. If UCONN beats ND, I think they lose this one, but if they lose to ND, they beat Baylor here.

at Louisville, win. Walz did a great job last year with Louisville, but they've never been able to compete with the Huskies. I don't see that changing this year. Geno has always schooled Walz. Louisville has a shot, but I personally don't see it happening.

vs. South Carolina, win. SC should be a solid top 10 or top 15 team this year, but Dawn has never been able to give Geno a competitive game even when she had Wilson for 4 years. I don't see SC hanging with the Huskies, especially in Storrs.

So based on all of that, best case scenario Huskies run the table, and worst case scenario they drop games to Baylor, ND, Louisville and in the tournament giving them 4 losses. I'll go out on a limb and predict 1...not sure if it's in the tournament or regular season.

Size may be an issue for UCONN

Reaction Score
I do not think we will win at ND, nor do I want us to win. We need some regular season losses, plain and simple. There is just way too much pressure on these kids in the tournament. Some teams can handle it, some can't. Teams with veteran backcourt leadership can handle it...which we haven't had for the past two seasons, IMO.

Reaction Score
For the first time in many years, I am not consumed with in season wins. KLS coming back from injury, key graduations, and likely reliance on frosh make this a unique season for UConn. All I care about is that they get their mojo in place by NCAA's.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I do not think we will win at ND, nor do I want us to win. We need some regular season losses, plain and simple. There is just way too much pressure on these kids in the tournament. Some teams can handle it, some can't. Teams with veteran backcourt leadership can handle it...which we haven't had for the past two seasons, IMO.

A regular season loss is not necessarily a bad thing. I personally would not like that loss to be to Notre Dame. Two losses in a row to the Irish would be hard to take. Hearken back at the 2014 season when UConn went out west and lost to Stanford in over time the 2nd game of the season. UConn Nation was in shock. :eek: That loss was unexpected after they had just vanquished unranked UC Davis 3 days before 102-43.

That loss served them well. It made them realize early on they were not invincible, and made them refocus their resolve and galvanized the team after Geno made two changes to the starting lineup: Chong and Stokes out, Nurse and Tuck in.

UConn never looked back, and ran the table the remainder of the season finishing at 38-1. When they were hoisting trophy and passing it around during the subsequent victory celebrations, I don't remember anyone making any references to that Stanford loss. An early preseason loss also removes the expectations (by fans) of going undefeated as they progress through the schedule. Funny how that works. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not wanting to win at ND under any circumstances is like rooting for the dentist to yank all your teeth.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
say-what-baby-meme.jpg

UCONN starting backcourt in the past two years was a senior (Saniya) and junior (Kia), then senior (Kia) and sophomore (Crystal).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This team will not lose a game all year. However there may be a few, 2 or 3, where they are beaten, and beaten by better teams.

Reaction Score
A regular season loss is not necessarily a bad thing. I personally would not like that loss to be to Notre Dame. Two losses in a row to the Irish would be hard to take. Hearken back at the 2014 season when UConn went out west and lost to Stanford in over time the 2nd game of the season. UConn Nation was in shock. :eek: That loss was unexpected after they had just vanquished unranked UC Davis 3 days before 102-43.

That loss served them well. It made them realize early on they were not invincible, and made them refocus their resolve and galvanized the team after Geno made two changes to the starting lineup: Chong and Stokes out, Nurse and Tuck in.

UConn never looked back, and ran the table the remainder of the season finishing at 38-1. When they were hoisting trophy and passing it around during the subsequent victory celebrations, I don't remember anyone making any references to that Stanford loss. An early preseason loss also removes the expectations (by fans) of going undefeated as they progress through the schedule. Funny how that works. :rolleyes:
Exactly right, Scoop. I truly believe that a regular-season loss would be the best thing that could happen to the team this year (with full emphasis on the modifier "regular-season").

Reaction Score
Shouldn't Notre Dame go into the UConn game as a heavy favorite? I love our team, but Notre Dame is in a far better position this year than is UConn.

By the same token, shouldn't Baylor go into the UConn game as a clear favorite? I mean, we have so many question marks, not least being our bench.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Exactly right, Scoop. I truly believe that a regular-season loss would be the best thing that could happen to the team this year (with full emphasis on the modifier "regular-season").
Hopefully, what you are both "trying" to say is that you would rather have a regular season loss vs. a tournament loss-which is kind of like saying water is wet.
What both of you have "actually" said is not that ,and sounds like you want the team to not win! :eek:

Reaction Score

at St. Louis, easy win
vs. Seton Hall, easy win

Great analysis. So accurate that it makes me wonder if there are more than 3 games to bother with. I mean, it is always fun to see UCONN play, but it it a lot more fun when the games are intense and competitive. Those 40 point leads at half time get embarrassing. I don't understand; is the women's game improving or not? Are there other great teams in the country, but UCONN doesn't play them? Uconn signed two top recruits, but two is still a small number. Where is all the top talent going? I know. I can look it up. Time for the games to begin. The off season is far too long for me.

Reaction Score
This team has many question marks. I do not see them beating Notre Dame in their house this year. We know Lou, Pheesa and Crystal will produce big if healthy. We do not know what we will get on a consistent basis from Megan and CW . Batouly could surprise us all but after watching the u-18s, I feel Ono has a long way to go before she proves to be an important part. Bottom line we could have 3-4 losses if the question marks remain and the expected stars do not remain healthy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This team has many question marks. I do not see them beating Notre Dame in their house this year. We know Lou, Pheesa and Crystal will produce big if healthy. We do not know what we will get on a consistent basis from Megan and CW . Batouly could surprise us all but after watching the u-18s, I feel Ono has a long way to go before she proves to be an important part. Bottom line we could have 3-4 losses if the question marks remain and the expected stars do not remain healthy.
I agree that there is no way that the Huskies should beat the Irish in South Bend this year. Two years ago, coming off a shaky win at FSU, I felt the same way when an inexperienced, undersized UConn team, with no depth faced a deep, powerful Baylor team. On that night a young freshman guard was unconscious in knocking down shots from everywhere as UConn upset the Lady Bears.

I don’t know where it’s going to come from this year, but one or more Huskies will come up huge at ND, and UConn is going steal a victory at South Bend. Mark it down!

Reaction Score
Hopefully, what you are both "trying" to say is that you would rather have a regular season loss vs. a tournament loss-which is kind of like saying water is wet.
What both of you have "actually" said is not that ,and sounds like you want the team to not win! :eek:
Yes. it's the former, not the latter. I think a regular season loss or even two would probably increase our chances of winning the NCAA tournament.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
This team is very intriguing. It will definitely be a work in progress and a challenge to the coaching staff.

Lou is coming off surgery, and Crystal is coming off injury. Mikayla could emerge as a solid backup at the point but her health is a huge question mark.

Two talented freshman coming in, how will they adapt to UConn basketball and how will they compete against the best in the nation.

Will Batouly emerge to be the player we hoped for. How big a leap is Megan prepared to make.

My expectation is they lose 2-3 regular season games, a combination of getting healthier and working in new players, plus a very tough away schedule against the top teams in the country. But they run the AAC table yet again, and get a number one seed. Make it to the Final Four, and then hope they are healthy and peaking, and ready to pull an upset of their own.

The 2016-2017 team was a gutsy, gutsy group. I think this team will match that team in that regard.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My usual answer is 0-1, but I'm going to have to think about this. My gut feeling, before looking at the schedule is maybe 3 or 4, but I'll probably go with a lower number.

Reaction Score
For the first time in many years, I am not consumed with in season wins. KLS coming back from injury, key graduations, and likely reliance on frosh make this a unique season for UConn. All I care about is that they get their mojo in place by NCAA's.
Just spoke with KLS @ Orange County Airport. What a nice kid. Go KLS!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I thought they'd lose three two years ago, and they lost one. I thought they'd go undefeated last year, and they lost one. My gut says they'll lose three this year, therefore I predict they'll lose one. I suspect I could do a proof by induction, but I'm too old for that, plus have had a beer or few. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom